Page 216 of 274 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Still waiting on you to provide the names of these health systems that you service who aren't concerned about the virus...

The focus from day 1 has been to not overload the hospitals. It was never about mortality rate. Based on what 99jc is saying (who is literally "boots on the ground"), some health systems are being taxed.

Thanks for answering my question though regarding the cooler months. I agree w/ regarding the annual vaccine, but I'm nervous that flu + COVID season will be rough.
    Do you really expect him to tell you?? Sometimes info is sacred. I'm not going to tel you who told me we weren't hiring BN I'd rather have the info. In his case, his job matters I'm sure. Don't expect to hear it and Bc you don't doesn't mean it's. Not true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Imagine getting people who don't get that wearing a mask only has two outcomes: you help prevent spread or you look like a good citizen concerned for his fellow man.... imagine getting them to care about long term health effects.

In the country that actively fights access to healthcare for all....

Imagine. I'm sorry Joebob but you might even be more naive than me in believing in the good of man and how in depth we as society can think. And I'm pretty damn naive for thinking what I think so it's no small feat to be more naive than me.

Every day I read this board I'm glad I took the risk to leave Mississippi. I miss the hospitality and especially the food, but damn if reading this board doesn't tell me that I only got that hospitality because I didn't question as openly things I disagreed with down there and had the right color skin tone.
    Bc only you can be so great. Carry on great one. But I love how you pull race into everything. I don't. I do my best NOT to see color. But I get you to mention it in every post

vCash
    The focus from day 1 has been to not overload the hospitals. It was never about mortality rate. Based on what 99jc is saying (who is literally "boots on the ground"), some health systems are being taxed.
    The focus on day 1 was to not overload the hospitals, hence the flatten the curve, raise the line. Nobody ever argued or pretended that we were going to change the area under the curve, just the shape of it.

Then, when it became clear that it was nto as bad as we thought and that there were a lot of areas that didn't have much infection present yet, instead of keeping with that approach, we moved on to the lock down indefinitely approach, or at least some places did and lots of people argued for it. What we are mostly doing now (against the apparent advice of all the screaming heads in the media and on social media) seems to be consistent with the flatten the curve approach. Keep everything as open as possible while not overwhelming the hospitals. It looks like we are doing that for the most part and some places are being taxed, as they would have to be and should be if we're going to follow that strategy. If no healthcare system gets taxed and you're not opened up completely, that means you are probably inflicting a lot more pain than necessary.

I still think the places getting hit hard now are relatively lucky. It appears that places with a lot of ac use and indoor activities are getting hit hardest now, which makes me think that colder climates are going to get this in the winter, but they are going to get it at the same time as flu and also just have to deal with the fact that respiratory viruses tend to be tougher in winter months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    The focus on day 1 was to not overload the hospitals, hence the flatten the curve, raise the line. Nobody ever argued or pretended that we were going to change the area under the curve, just the shape of it.

Then, when it became clear that it was nto as bad as we thought and that there were a lot of areas that didn't have much infection present yet, instead of keeping with that approach, we moved on to the lock down indefinitely approach, or at least some places did and lots of people argued for it. What we are mostly doing now (against the apparent advice of all the screaming heads in the media and on social media) seems to be consistent with the flatten the curve approach. Keep everything as open as possible while not overwhelming the hospitals. It looks like we are doing that for the most part and some places are being taxed, as they would have to be and should be if we're going to follow that strategy. If no healthcare system gets taxed and you're not opened up completely, that means you are probably inflicting a lot more pain than necessary.

I still think the places getting hit hard now are relatively lucky. It appears that places with a lot of ac use and indoor activities are getting hit hardest now, which makes me think that colder climates are going to get this in the winter, but they are going to get it at the same time as flu and also just have to deal with the fact that respiratory viruses tend to be tougher in winter months.
    Surreal

vCash

100% agree w/ you! The mortality rate is just now being thrown around to justify a rise in cases.

In hindsight, and to your point, we should have had a "rolling" closure. The reason we couldn't do that is because there wasn't enough PPE for even the areas of the country who were seeing spikes. This is why Fauci said not to wear masks in the beginning and later changed his tune. There weren't enough masks to outfit every citizen in the beginning. The lack of basic supplies to combat the problem initially is what resulted in the entire country going on lock down.

This is also the reason why we are now divided as a country regarding the virus. You had people isolated for months and losing their businesses and income - only to see their area have no substantial increase in the spread of the virus. They come out of isolation bitter because they think their efforts were for naught.

vCash
    Large antibody study in Spain

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...20)31483-5.pdf

5% positive across the country, up to 14% in some areas (Madrid)

"The majority of the Spanish population is seronegative to SARS-CoV-2 infection, even in hotspot areas.
    Most PCR-confirmed cases have detectable antibodies, but a substantial proportion of people with symptoms compatible
    with COVID-19 did not have a PCR test and at least a third of infections determined by serology were asymptomatic.
    These results emphasise the need for maintaining public health measures to avoid a new epidemic wave."

47 million population
    5% of 47 million = 2.35 million implied infections
    300k cases
    29k confirmed deaths
    45k excess deaths in 2020

45k excess deaths / 2.35 million implied infections = 1.9% infection fatality rate
    Last edited by hacker; 07-07-2020 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I've talked with 2 infectious disease doctors I know very well, one at UAB and one at UPMC in Pittsburgh. Their studies are showing the virus is weakening and more young people are being exposed/tested and the young and healthy are not suffering very many adverse affects from the virus, thus the declining death rate. Both of these doctors have been doing this for over 20 years so I value their opinion.
    Todd I can assure y'all aren't the only ones treating using these methods. I spent the last 2 weeks traveling all over Arkansas and Oklahoma seeing my accounts and the hospitals I see are using similar treatments but as you said they aren't publicizing it. By the way Oklahoma didn't shutdown like most states hardly any one is wearing a mask they only have a little over 14000 cases and 400 deaths. Go and figure.
    Lol I learned to live with it a long time ago. I'm seeing my hospital and home health accounts all over the Southeast and I've yet to run into an administrator, doctor, or nurse freaking out like some of y'all on here. I'll keep doing my thing and living my life and you do you. Have fun, I am!
    Never said they weren't concerned I said they weren't freaking out. Huge difference. And I'm not mentioning the name of anyone I do business with on this board.
    Semantics. I guess now, we have to differentiate between "concerned" and "freaked out". I haven't seen anyone in this thread "freaked out", but there are some who are concerned and others who are dismissive of the entire thing.

My fear is that if we aren't taking this seriously and are dismissive of the virus because of mortality rates, it may (just maybe) spread to an area where you live and take out someone that you love. As an example, if two people in the entire state of MS pass away from the virus - the mortality rate would look fantastic. If those two people are folks that you are related to and care deeply about, you're not really going to care much about the mortality rate.

I forgot masks fix everything lol
    I hope you've changed your stance in regards to wearing a mask. It is a simple step we all can do to show we care about our fellow brothers and sisters on this planet. You tend to be an overall positive poster on this board, so I'm sure you wear one. I would also hope you encourage everyone you come into contact with to wear one as well.
    Last edited by Gutter Cobreh; 07-07-2020 at 10:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Large antibody study in Spain

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...20)31483-5.pdf

5% positive across the country, up to 14% in some areas (Madrid)

"The majority of the Spanish population is seronegative to SARS-CoV-2 infection, even in hotspot areas.
    Most PCR-confirmed cases have detectable antibodies, but a substantial proportion of people with symptoms compatible
    with COVID-19 did not have a PCR test and at least a third of infections determined by serology were asymptomatic.
    These results emphasise the need for maintaining public health measures to avoid a new epidemic wave."

47 million population
    5% of 47 million = 2.35 million implied infections
    300k cases
    29k confirmed deaths
    45k excess deaths in 2020

45k excess deaths / 2.35 million implied infections = 1.9% infection fatality rate
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53248660

vCash

vCash
    Wonder what happens if 1 of our presidential candidates catch corona in October. Would the VP candidate in essence be the new candidate?

vCash
    Semantics. I guess now, we have to differentiate between "concerned" and "freaked out". I haven't seen anyone in this thread "freaked out", but there are some who are concerned and others who are dismissive of the entire thing.

My fear is that if we aren't taking this seriously and are dismissive of the virus because of mortality rates, it may (just maybe) spread to an area where you live and take out someone that you love. As an example, if two people in the entire state of MS pass away from the virus - the mortality rate would look fantastic. If those two people are folks that you are related to and care deeply about, you're not really going to care much about the mortality rate.

I hope you've changed your stance in regards to wearing a mask. It is a simple step we all can do to show we care about our fellow brothers and sisters on this planet. You tend to be an overall positive poster on this board, so I'm sure you wear one. I would also hope you encourage everyone you come into contact with to wear one as well.
    Here's where things get misconstrued. You can be serious and take precautions without living in fear. The majority of my customers are seniors and I love them dearly, I been doing this for over 20 years, one death is to many. My 14 year old daughter has juvenile arthritis and is on biological so she falls in the high risk category so we take precautions with her but let her be a normal teenager as much as possible during this. All those at high risk should take ever precaution, the rest of us need to keep going, and yes i practice social distancing and wear a mask. The message I'm trying to convey is that there is hope of getting through this. The healthcare professionals I know are promoting the same positive message. I don't want to get to religious on here but my faith allows me to stay positive through a crisis and to not live in fear. Once again precautions yes, but we MUST carry on or the collateral damage from this will be much greater than the virus itself.

vCash
    Here's where things get misconstrued. You can be serious and take precautions without living in fear. The majority of my customers are seniors and I love them dearly, I been doing this for over 20 years, one death is to many. My 14 year old daughter has juvenile arthritis and is on biological so she falls in the high risk category so we take precautions with her but let her be a normal teenager as much as possible during this. All those at high risk should take ever precaution, the rest of us need to keep going, and yes i practice social distancing and wear a mask. The message I'm trying to convey is that there is hope of getting through this. The healthcare professionals I know are promoting the same positive message. I don't want to get to religious on here but my faith allows me to stay positive through a crisis and to not live in fear. Once again precautions yes, but we MUST carry on or the collateral damage from this will be much greater than the virus itself.
    Taking it seriously and realistically does not equate to living in fear. Just because some of us are not downplaying everything so that we feel better personally does not mean we're living in fear. Downplaying the threat is harmful to us all as a whole because it can influence others to not take precautions to protect themselves and others. At least 130,000 people have died in our country in 4 months and we still have a long way to go.

vCash
    Not to mention a countless number of people have been sicker than they've ever been in their lives, pushed to the brink of death, have lingering issues for months, and have completely taxed the health care systems in several of our cities.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Taking it seriously and realistically does not equate to living in fear. Just because some of us are not downplaying everything so that we feel better personally does not mean we're living in fear. Downplaying the threat is harmful to us all as a whole because it can influence others to not take precautions to protect themselves and others. At least 130,000 people have died in our country in 4 months and we still have a long way to go.
    Throwing more rep your way since it's been long enough finally. This is spot on.

Wearing a mask and acknowledging risk is not living in fear. Driving a car with air bags and wearing a seatbelt is the same.

vCash
    100% agree w/ you! The mortality rate is just now being thrown around to justify a rise in cases.

In hindsight, and to your point, we should have had a "rolling" closure. The reason we couldn't do that is because there wasn't enough PPE for even the areas of the country who were seeing spikes. This is why Fauci said not to wear masks in the beginning and later changed his tune. There weren't enough masks to outfit every citizen in the beginning. The lack of basic supplies to combat the problem initially is what resulted in the entire country going on lock down.

This is also the reason why we are now divided as a country regarding the virus. You had people isolated for months and losing their businesses and income - only to see their area have no substantial increase in the spread of the virus. They come out of isolation bitter because they think their efforts were for naught.
    It's not that they didn't have a substantial increase in the virus. It's that when it was clear the goal of flattening the curve had been accomplished everywhere outside of New York basically, the goal posts got moved and "two weeks to flatten the curve" became something indefinite, or tied to nonsensical guidelines (like Trump's phased reopening that although it allowed for state and local governments to tailor the plan to match their circumstances, made it politically difficult for them b/c ass hats still pointed to the nonsensical tests and claimed they were ignoring the federal government's guidance). Then they compounded that by basically just saying "never mind", when a lockdown interfered with either their political goals or virtue signaling.

vCash
    I'm out of this thread for good. No one seems to understand what I've tried to bring to this so y'all have at it. I'm gonna live my life y'all go live yours. I pray you all stay safe and healthy. Maybe we can get back to arguing State sports again one day.

vCash
    It's not that they didn't have a substantial increase in the virus. It's that when it was clear the goal of flattening the curve had been accomplished everywhere outside of New York basically, the goal posts got moved and "two weeks to flatten the curve" became something indefinite, or tied to nonsensical guidelines (like Trump's phased reopening that although it allowed for state and local governments to tailor the plan to match their circumstances, made it politically difficult for them b/c ass hats still pointed to the nonsensical tests and claimed they were ignoring the federal government's guidance). Then they compounded that by basically just saying "never mind", when a lockdown interfered with either their political goals or virtue signaling.
    Remember this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jyf...3ys1b7K1A/view

vCash
    I'm out of this thread for good. No one seems to understand what I've tried to bring to this so y'all have at it. I'm gonna live my life y'all go live yours. I pray you all stay safe and healthy. Maybe we can get back to arguing State sports again one day.
    You can't be taking this serious if you have a positive outlook. You're gonna kill grandma... or make her really sick... or even if she doesn't get sick, she'll have long term issues.

vCash
    come on over and have a beer with the rest of us ... throwing a pool party for those who understands the sky isn't falling after all
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Throwing more rep your way since it's been long enough finally. This is spot on.

Wearing a mask and acknowledging risk is not living in fear. Driving a car with air bags and wearing a seatbelt is the same.
    It's not wearing a mask or acknowledging risk that is living in fear. It's refusing to accept that not every bad thing can be avoided and trying to make other people's lives worse rather than accepting that something bad has happened.

A lot of people have died and will die from the Wuhan virus, and keeping kids out of school, or keeping them from playing sports or other social activities, isn't going to change that. It's just going to heap avoidable harm on top of all the unavoidable harm, without much gain unless we get incredibly lucky with a vaccine.

We have already asked young people to bear a pretty significant burden. Some of that was perfectly justified. There were a lot of unknowns and being cautious was the right approach. But we shouldn't ignore that it was a real harm we inflicted on a lot of kids. From being subject to abuse and hunger to the much milder but still real harm of depriving some of them of social activities and sports the spring of their senior year. And we shouldn't sign up to inflict more of that harm without an attainable purpose, and I'm still not hearing what the justification would be. We need to accept that something bad has already happened, and we're can't make it unhappen by putting our fingers in our ears and pitching a fit. At least we are dealing with a pandemic that is relatively mild for the young. Still horrible, but it could be much, much worse.