Page 48 of 274 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Where? I see:

"Total individuals tested for COVID-19: 1,392

As of March 22, 2020. Includes testing by the MSDH Public Health Laboratory only."
    Right under the map. It states quite clearly that outside labs are also reporting positives to them, they are required too. The number of tests done is not required to be reported. Sorry to throw a little water on your fire. Just calm down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Right under the map. It states quite clearly that outside labs are also reporting positives to them, they are required too. The number of tests done is not required to be reported. Sorry to throw a little water on your fire. Just calm down.
    If you go back to the original question, 7 was asking about # of tests administered, not the positives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    I got out of poverty much the same way, bud. My parents filed bankruptcy while I was in high school, but now I've got multiple engineering degrees and a recession/pandemic proof job. Being someone who battled out of poverty and dealt with those hardships, do you not want people to NOT have to deal with that? To not have their kids be embarrassed to ask for money to go to a movie? Idk man, I got myself in a steady place. I'm happy with where I'm personally at.

I don't want full on communism because it never works. (see: venezuela and russia and every other instance in history.) Its problem isn't far too different than what we have now. That the ruling class (in capitalism, the elite rich) controls everything and they are corrupt.

But why can't we have similar universal healthcare to Canada at least. No one is saying be ridiculously drastic. I just don't want poor people to have to go through what I went through. There's no perfect cure-all, but you can't tell me there's not something better than what we're doing.

So what if there are people who don't want to help themselves or "can't get out of this situation." My goal isn't that. My goal is to eliminate that situation altogether. With the advances we've made in automation, there's no need for every american to work 40 backbreaking hours every week. You certainly could if you wanted, but society is heading to a place we've never been where we don't need humans to do everything.
    So this is the difference, my parents never filed for bankruptcy, they gutted it out and payed their bills on time and this is the same work ethic they instilled in me. They did not look for a short cut, a quick way out nor a bailout. We lived within our means. The mindset is the difference.

Many years ago, mankind used to work from before daylight to after sunset 7 days per week. Due to Biblical principles (Moses - the 10 commandments), instituted a 6 day work week and then in the early 1900s Saturday was also given as a day of rest from labor/work/job. We work 5 days per week now or 40 hours per week (at least that is what we get paid for) and you want to reduce it even further? Does technology redefine man into some worthless pansy? Common, even in a technological world - like today and in the future - we will still gave to design devices/systems, manufacture and repair them (even with redundancy built in). Man has to do something, we can't sit on our thumbs all day and respond to these forums. Besides, idle hands are the devils playground.

Again, you want government run goods and services since we the people are too stupid to create them ourselves. You view everything as a right, an entitlement, and nothing is to be EARNED or worked for. Once you tax those who do have into oblivion (that is you and me today), there is no more money and then what? All incentive to EARN is gone and we will all file for welfare. Who in the hell is going to pay for it? Go to Canada and see how good their healthcare is - their people schedule surgery in the US by the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Then how do you rely so heavily on the stats you post.

I'm honestly not trying to flame you. I'm trying to understand the reasoning of the daily barrage of graphs and stats. Especially when you prop up your posts using them.
    I post stats partly because they're interesting to me, partly to keep y'all informed. I mainly post the death rates to show the trend. Total number is ultimately what matters, right?

vCash
    I got out of poverty much the same way, bud. My parents filed bankruptcy while I was in high school, but now I've got multiple engineering degrees and a recession/pandemic proof job. Being someone who battled out of poverty and dealt with those hardships, do you not want people to NOT have to deal with that? To not have their kids be embarrassed to ask for money to go to a movie? Idk man, I got myself in a steady place. I'm happy with where I'm personally at.

I don't want full on communism because it never works. (see: venezuela and russia and every other instance in history.) Its problem isn't far too different than what we have now. That the ruling class (in capitalism, the elite rich) controls everything and they are corrupt.

But why can't we have similar universal healthcare to Canada at least. No one is saying be ridiculously drastic. I just don't want poor people to have to go through what I went through. There's no perfect cure-all, but you can't tell me there's not something better than what we're doing.

So what if there are people who don't want to help themselves or "can't get out of this situation." My goal isn't that. My goal is to eliminate that situation altogether. With the advances we've made in automation, there's no need for every american to work 40 backbreaking hours every week. You certainly could if you wanted, but society is heading to a place we've never been where we don't need humans to do everything.
    The issue is there will be a corupt group regardless of the structure of govt. Our's just happens to limit it to a degree. We certainly aren't as bad off as China or Russia are. Another issue with Uni Healthcare is someone has to pay for it somewhere. If the govt is paying for it it will look just like the VA hospitals do.

If you haven't read up on VA hospitals I would suggest you take a look. It is awful. Patients aren't getting seen, appointments are delayed sometimes by months. People have died waiting to actually get something done at VA hospitals. Because anytime you are talking about a govt. run program bureaucracy will take over.

Look at the DMV, is that what you want to experience when you visit a hospital?

I agree there are things we should be doing or could be doing but Universal Healthcare isn't going to solve the poverty issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    So this is the difference, my parents never filed for bankruptcy, they gutted it out and payed their bills on time and this is the same work ethic they instilled in me. They did not look for a short cut, a quick way out nor a bailout. We lived within our means. The mindset is the difference.
    Is filing bankruptcy looking for a shortcut? Is it bad work ethic?

Or is it taking advantage of the system? I cant remember his name, but some rich guy told me once that filing bankruptcy is just a smart way to use the system and the laws in place.
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-23-2020 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Taking from people that have and giving to people that don't have without making them do anything for that does not work. You can't force everybody to be equal.

This can be summarized by an the old story about the teacher who was going to prove that to his class by averaging their grades. The people that studied hard who made an A were given a B and the people who did not and made a D were given a B. Eventually the people who studied hard quit because why would they study for an A to only get a C while they watch others not study at all and get the same C.

Wow this forum really moved in another direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post

Or is it taking advantage of the system? I cant remember his name, but some rich guy told me once that filing bankruptcy is just a smart way to use the system and the laws in place.
    It is cheating the system, someone has to either pay or absorb the debt. It is a shortcut. Business is a 2 way street, I have an object to sell and you have money to buy the object. It is an even bidirectional deal. You get some object to enhance your life and I get some money to allow me to also purchase some object to enhance my life. When someone bails on their responsibility and cheats the system and declares bankruptcy you short-circuit the systems and someone gets screwed. Prices of goods are increased to hedge against this threat - a percentage of people will declare bankruptcy - it harms the system for all of us. This is not how capitalism is supposed to work. We are to ALL pull our weight. This is the only way it will work properly (morality is a given here for the same reasons).

vCash

One thing I learned the past year, MD Anderson in Houston is full of folks from Canada who want great treatment. Hell, I?ve never seen more people from other countries than at MD Anderson. The US healthcare is light years better than any government run healthcare from any country.

vCash
    It is cheating the system, someone has to either pay or absorb the debt. It is a shortcut. Business is a 2 way street, I have an object to sell and you have money to buy the object. It is an even bidirectional deal. You get some object to enhance your life and I get some money to allow me to also purchase some object to enhance my life. When someone bails on their responsibility and cheats the system and declares bankruptcy you short-circuit the systems and someone gets screwed. Prices of goods are increased to hedge against this threat - a percentage of people will declare bankruptcy - it harms the system for all of us. This is not how capitalism is supposed to work. We are to ALL pull our weight. This is the only way it will work properly (morality is a given here for the same reasons).
    So would you say someone with multiple bankruptcies is a bad businessman? Thar someone with multiple bankruptcies isn't good for capitalism?

vCash
    This is incorrect. If you want money in exchange for providing a good or service, all you have to do is not provide the good or service unless you get money. The people that get stiffed in a bankruptcy proceeding just about always people who voluntarily extended credit to someone or a some entity and did so knowing the potential for bankruptcy is part of the deal.

There are certainly people and entities who abuse the system, and there are certainly people and entities who don't necessarily abuse the system but act imprudently in a way that is more or less equivalent to abusing the system, but filing bankruptcy itself is not abuse nor it is inconsistent with capitalism. If anything, bankruptcy is a vital part of capitalism because it creates a structured way to handle insolvency events and also incentivizes risk taking by allowing people to take risks without worrying that they will end up in a virtual debtor's prison, just like limited liability business entities are not short cuts or abuses of the system (although some pepole abuse them).

Banned
    vCash

Many years ago, mankind used to work from before daylight to after sunset 7 days per week. Due to Biblical principles (Moses - the 10 commandments), instituted a 6 day work week and then in the early 1900s Saturday was also given as a day of rest from labor/work/job. We work 5 days per week now or 40 hours per week (at least that is what we get paid for) and you want to reduce it even further? Does technology redefine man into some worthless pansy? Common, even in a technological world - like today and in the future - we will still gave to design devices/systems, manufacture and repair them (even with redundancy built in). Man has to do something, we can't sit on our thumbs all day and respond to these forums. Besides, idle hands are the devils playground.

Again, you want government run goods and services since we the people are too stupid to create them ourselves. You view everything as a right, an entitlement, and nothing is to be EARNED or worked for. Once you tax those who do have into oblivion (that is you and me today), there is no more money and then what? All incentive to EARN is gone and we will all file for welfare. Who in the hell is going to pay for it? Go to Canada and see how good their healthcare is - their people schedule surgery in the US by the way.
    My dad had complications from a disease he got when he was 7 (labeled a pre-existing condition by insurance companies) and became disabled and unable to work. Medical bills piled up and we had no way to pay. But yea, we took the "easy way out." Sad to say, but the only reason my mother is able at all to financially climb out of the hole is that he passed away as medical bills kept piling.

Healthcare companies refused to cover him. Freedom and all that. Caused a 15 year old and a 9 year old to live in a family in bankruptcy. Just to protect your free market.

You're missing the point about working. We don't have to if we don't want to. I've worked many a 50 hr and 60 hr weeks while in college just to pay my bills. You're preaching toughness to the wrong guy. I've lived it. I've felt it. I don't want anyone to know that pain. It ****ing sucks.

Yes I view life as a right. Why shouldn't I? Entitlement is a buzzword. It's something you've let fool your perspective. And no, you don't have to tax you or me into oblivion to do it. That's the myth. That whole Sanders 52% tax schlock doesn't apply to people making what I make. That's to the million a year makers. I'm not saying go all the way and make everyone equal, that will never work. I'm saying raise the floor. Sure maybe that cuts the ceiling down some. To borrow the grade scale argument: Right now we're ensuring people have the ability to make a 400 or higher out of 100 on a test by sacrificing preventing people from making below a 60 and allowing them to bottom out to 0. By cutting back to 250-300 we could make that 60 minimum happen.

And rich people in Canada do that because our top end is better. We take the best care of the rich in the world healthcare wise. Bottom end, no way.

vCash
    America is starting to put out healthcare priority guidelines for when it gets Italy bad here in about a week

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/21/81964...YBwGyYk3rwbLGU
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash
    1800 people attend church service in Louisiana yesterday
    https://www.brproud.com/health/coron...d-19-outbreak/
    I think this is pretty dumb, but I can't help but think of Walmarts having a couple hundred customers at the same time. Plus with that many customers in-and-out all day, the chances of Walmart employees being exposed is pretty big imo. Not sure how you could solve this problem and people still be able to stock up though

vCash
    So would you say someone with multiple bankruptcies is a bad businessman? Thar someone with multiple bankruptcies isn't good for capitalism?
    Everybody sees where you're going here. You're going for the aha gotcha moment but that doesn't mean anything. Nobody will agree with everything a President does but that doesn't mean that said President is a bad President. My wife doesn't agree with everything I say or do but we are still married....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Everybody sees where you're going here. You're going for the aha gotcha moment but that doesn't mean anything. Nobody will agree with everything a President does but that doesn't mean that said President is a bad President. My wife doesn't agree with everything I say or do but we are still married....
    Nope. They guy I am talking to obviously feels very strongly about bankruptcies. He insulted another poster parents over it. He said another posters parents had poor work ethics over it.

So I am curious to hear his answer. He obviously feels very strongly about bankruptcies and the work ethic of those that do it. He called it cheating and bad for capitalism. He obviously has strong opinions on it

I asked him a valid question after his posts. He can answer for himself
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-23-2020 at 12:00 PM.

vCash

Or is it taking advantage of the system? I cant remember his name, but some rich guy told me once that filing bankruptcy is just a smart way to cheat the system and the laws in place.
    FIFY

Seems fair. Make someone else pay for it.

ETA: Also don't take this and twist my words. The way you phrased it was 100% saying screw it, take advantage because it benefits me and I don't give a damn about consequences.

You weren't defending how bankruptcies are the only way out sometimes. You fully threw the cheat the system blanket over the whole topic with your comment and now will use that as your ammunition if someone argues with you. But you'll base your argument on the original comment made. Not your blanket statement. I realize now yours was simple bait for you to pounce on.
    Last edited by StateDawg44; 03-23-2020 at 12:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    What do you expect him to do? Not talk politics on a political board?

(Said as one of the worse offenders, although I think I am successful at never starting the political sidetracks)

vCash
    Nope. They guy I am talking to obviously feels very strongly about bankruptcies. He insulted another poster parents over it. He said another posters parents had poor work ethics over it.

So I am curious to hear his answer. He obviously feels very strongly about bankruptcies and the work ethic of those that do it. He called it cheating and bad for capitalism. He obviously has strong opinions on it

I asked him a valid question after his posts. He can answer for himself

A pretty strange end to your response since you're interjecting yourself and speaking on behalf of someone else here.

vCash
    I post stats partly because they're interesting to me, partly to keep y'all informed. I mainly post the death rates to show the trend. Total number is ultimately what matters, right?

So what if they are misleading or aren't 100% accurate or don't paint the full picture? In this case partly because of the small sample size.

Do they benefit all or only one side? Or do they harm the collective end goal and all the in-betweens on how to attain that goal?