Page 36 of 274 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    I wouldn't doubt there are millions already with it. The rate celebs and sports players are testing positive all across the country without symptoms is kind of comical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Highly likely that people saying negative things about our country's response to the Chinese virus get their news from certain specific news outlets that are 24/7 critical of this President and his administration. I think he's done a fine job and to be honest I'm surprised we've been able to get anything done since literally everything the man wants to do is uniformly challenged by every democrat at all levels of government. I've never seen one side so out to get someone else in my life.
    The Great Oppurdemic

vCash
    We tested around 35,000 people yesterday. A week ago we were testing about 5,000 per day. This is a good thing.

One thing to keep in mind as our testing capacity increases: the growth in the number of positive cases is not 100% indicative of the spread of the virus. It's a function of both the spread of the virus AND the increase in tests. I think the numbers will still be sobering though.

We do seem to be doing much better on our death rate than Italy, Spain, etc. It remains to be seen if that % will start to go up as the medical system gets stressed.

vCash
    I have also noticed a favorable trend in US death rate stat compared to others. I hope and pray it is significant, but I know it is early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    The FDA has eased regulations and started fast-tracking test development. This company is waiting on a final batch of tests from South Korea to present their case to the FDA. Should happen in the next week or 2.
    What I meant was it won't be available for months regardless. The peak will be hit before it's available. It'll be great in the future, but little help for this outbreak.

vCash
    Germany has 20K infections but very few deaths

https://www.ft.com/content/c0755b30-...d-da70cff6e4d3

They are testing 160K per day that’s x10 what South Korea did

Other interesting discovery in Germany is that their infected are much younger than Italy

Other personal thought is that if you survived Hitler, WW2, and Russian occupation as a baby - you are probably too tough to kill by a damn chinese cold

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    ... it's not pure speculation. It's called math and viewing exponential trends. We went from 1k to 10k in less than 10 days. It's pretty spot on to think 100k is attainable in the next 10 days. This thing is spreading at an alarmingly exponential rate and our testing is only broadening to more cases. It's not even speculation it's "doing your due dilligence" and understanding trends.
    Speculation - the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Yes TRENDS can be derived and predicted but they are still not always true. That number is certainly attainable. I don?t disagree but to act like it?s a guarantee and there is firm evidence to use this early is actually... speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    It is NOT pure speculation.
    They may NOT be pure facts either. You are speculating just like I?m speculating. See how that works. But I damn sum at not claiming shit that can?t be proven right this second.

It?s a guess. There are too many variables for some of the numbers to not be off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Cruise ship population does not equate to general population. The most accurate estimates we have right now are not good. Most people still have no clue what they're about to witness across America.
    Well, sure. But Italy's population doesn't equate to the USA's or Germany's or us to theirs. What you do have with the cruise ship is a closed, controlled population that tracks spread and mortality rate within that controlled population. You will never be able to better account for variables in large, uncontrolled populations while this virus is actively spreading (at least not for the first year probably). The cruise ship gives us a good snapshot and I think it's strong statistical numbers. It's some sobering stats. If 19% of Americans got this virus that is 57,000,000 people who could get this and if the mortality rate stays at around 1.2% that is 684,000. If it rises to 3% then you are looking at approximate 1.7 million deaths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Germany has 20K infections but very few deaths

https://www.ft.com/content/c0755b30-...d-da70cff6e4d3

They are testing 160K per day that?s x10 what South Korea did

Other interesting discovery in Germany is that their infected are much younger than Italy

Other personal thought is that if you survived Hitler, WW2, and Russian occupation as a baby - you are probably too tough to kill by a damn chinese cold
    I was coming on here to ask what the difference is between Germany and Spain. Similar number of cases, but Spain is floating around 5.5% mortality and Germany is at 0.3%. Is it because Germany is catching more mild cases due to more testing? The only other thing I see off the top is that Germany has a critical care capacity that is similar to ours, while Spain's is even smaller than Italy. I would also guess that Germany has a higher quality medical system than Spain, but I have nothing to back that up.

ETA: Spain has 9.7 critical care units/100,000 people. So I assume I can say 97/1,000,000? and currently has 533 cases/1,000,000

Germany has 292 CCUs/1,000,000 and only 256 cases/1,000,000 with more prevalent testing by the sounds of things, which would make a lower % of the 256/mil severe.

So maybe Spain has blown past its critical care ability already and Germany is still under control.
    Last edited by WeWonItAll(Most); 03-21-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Far Moorhead yaw

vCash
    140 cases in MS. Up from 80 yesterday.

They added some more data:

At least 24% hospitalized

48% of cases < 50 years old

Last edited by hacker; 03-21-2020 at 10:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Well, sure. But Italy's population doesn't equate to the USA's or Germany's or us to theirs. What you do have with the cruise ship is a closed, controlled population that tracks spread and mortality rate within that controlled population. You will never be able to better account for variables in large, uncontrolled populations while this virus is actively spreading (at least not for the first year probably). The cruise ship gives us a good snapshot and I think it's strong statistical numbers. It's some sobering stats. If 19% of Americans got this virus that is 57,000,000 people who could get this and if the mortality rate stays at around 1.2% that is 684,000. If it rises to 3% then you are looking at approximate 1.7 million deaths.
    If you are talking about the ship in Japan yes it is a controlled population. One thing though, have you ever been on an overseas cruise? The average age on those is usually over 70.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post

Why do they stop there? What are the ages of the ones that are in hospital? Of the young (<50), what % are considered serious? Wish they'd release more

vCash
    This seems to be a good article to read. At least Brit Hume, of Fox News, thinks so and others who have retweeted it.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine...9-1b767def5894

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    This seems to be a good article to read. At least Brit Hume, of Fox News, thinks so and others who have retweeted it.

Good read. Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post

Expected increase with increased testing. And as has been said many more have it or have had it. Prolly has something to do with the increased percentage of 50+. Younger folks haven?t had to go to the dr with it as often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    ... it's not pure speculation. It's called math and viewing exponential trends. We went from 1k to 10k in less than 10 days. It's pretty spot on to think 100k is attainable in the next 10 days. This thing is spreading at an alarmingly exponential rate and our testing is only broadening to more cases. It's not even speculation it's "doing your due dilligence" and understanding trends.

Where are the cherry picked stats that only favor one side of the argument?***

Just kidding. Good read for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I was coming on here to ask what the difference is between Germany and Spain. Similar number of cases, but Spain is floating around 5.5% mortality and Germany is at 0.3%. Is it because Germany is catching more mild cases due to more testing? The only other thing I see off the top is that Germany has a critical care capacity that is similar to ours, while Spain's is even smaller than Italy. I would also guess that Germany has a higher quality medical system than Spain, but I have nothing to back that up.

ETA: Spain has 9.7 critical care units/100,000 people. So I assume I can say 97/1,000,000? and currently has 533 cases/1,000,000

Germany has 292 CCUs/1,000,000 and only 256 cases/1,000,000 with more prevalent testing by the sounds of things, which would make a lower % of the 256/mil severe.

So maybe Spain has blown past its critical care ability already and Germany is still under control.
    Something very positive about the Germany approach is that testing so many, especially young bucks that would normally be symptomless carriers - takes potential super spreaders out of the equation.

Holding everything else constant- that’s an interesting wrinkle

vCash

Fantastic article

vCash

No prayers for that guy?s loved ones!*

vCash

Really good read. I been thinking some of the same things written in this article, as I'm sure others have too. And anyone claiming absolute knowledge of all the wealth of data out there is a fool. Unless every single person is tested, there are not absolute stats.

And if the government really wanted to help folks while they ain't working, they would make a temp law to suspend loan/mortgage payments and interest on principle for a while. But they don't want the big bankers to have to survive on less than multi-million dollar bonuses each year. Those banks are still gonna expect those payments to be made up somehow ... I can guarantee you that.

In the meantime, 4 republican Senators and Feinstein got out of the market well in advance of the crash and made millions.