Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
If you seriously think you have identified the issue you are just simple. THere are lots of complaints about the corona related stimulus. But the reason they tried to save businesses is that they want people to stay employed. Businesses are just a conglomeration of economic arrangements and if you let them fail, there are a lot of transaction costs to just recreating those businesses after they fail. If you want to make an argument that the US should let businesses fail and that's part of capitalism and failing from a pandemic is just part of the risks, that's fine. But it's not an issue of trickle down economics, which is just a made up phrase to begin with and basically a campaign slogan by the left, not an actual policy.

Thte saying is if you're a democrat at 40 you don't have a brain. There are plenty of reasons to not be a republican. You do have to swallow a lot of idiocies to be a democrat now. But as long as you realize you are doing it and it's just because you think that's a less bad option than the republican party, I would agree the saying even in its correct form is overbroad.

There are the worst generation, but not sure it's because of the reasons you claim. They basically voted to promise themselves that future taxpayers would pay them a shit ton of money; more than they would be willing to pay the tax burden to support. There are lots of complaints to have about them, but that's probably the most damning. They were the first generation to be prosperous enough for long enough that they could afford to have stupid beliefs and do things like enter a war without a commitment to winning it. Not sure any of your other complaints are valid though.

As long as he is not taking your money, why do you care if Bezos has a lot of money? Him chasing state and local incentives is distasteful, but once government gets into the business of giving out incentives for those projects, that's part of the business landscape and it's hard to pass up those incentives when competitors have access to them (and arguably he has a fiduciary duty to take them, since he's a minority owner in Amazon). If you think Bezos doesn't deserve any money, that's fine. You don't have to use any amazon projects. But if other people choose to do so it's not really any of your business.

Boomers certainly had a lot of things easier, and the people that took out massive student loans 10+ years ago have a pretty decent complaint that they were screwed with a lot of bad information about "good debt". But the people that are the biggest whiners about student debt now are people that picked expensive options for college, often getting non-marketable degrees.

Yea, you don't know what accountants do but you think you're competent to vote for people to manage the economy? Just FYI, accountants have different roles, and certainly some basically act as financial analysts and help people/companies decide which projects to invest in, but generally having an accountant doesn't mean somebody is "defer[ring] how to handle [their] own dollars."
A lot of what I put in that post was dripping with reversed boomer arguments. (Charlie in the Chocolate Tree for example). Illustrating how stupid they sound when talking about how tough and great they were compared to today's generation. Today's generation grew up in worse economic conditions and outclasses them in their own metrics.

But to go point by point. I believe the government should serve the people and not the business. If we're bailing out the business to save the people, then cut out the middle man. Easy step.

Thank you for being someone who can see fault in both sides. I respect that.

My complaints that are invalid are the same ones that are invalid for boomers. I'll let them figure out which ones sarcasm and making fun of them.

Bezos is taking my money. My tax dollars help him. As long as business can get tax subsidies and write-offs that my dollars help fund, I will complain about it.

I'm one of the rare breeds who isn't in a "non-marketable" degree (and still has some but not near as much bad debt as it could have been), but I still give a damn about this.

The accountant bit was a subtle boomer ribbing. Your talking more to the business owner than you are to the common man. My uncle is an accountant. I know the merits of the position. I also know that it's rich to listen to someone tell you how to water your yard that pays someone else to tend to their crops.