Page 172 of 274 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yes that has been happening with the nursing homes and that is a really good question.
    Many are being set to the hospital. I know of at least 4 who died in the hospital. In many cases, the outbreak (knowledge of it) started with a hospital visit because that's the first time they were tested. That's changed now.
    I've seen homes attempt to isolate patients that test positive (doesn't work). My guess is family simply allows some to pass away and some have DNRs.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 05-13-2020 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    My antibody test was negative for past and current exposure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why did sars and mers and other coronaviruses go away without a vaccine? Herd immunity due to minimal mutation of the virus?
    Others have answered this but I'll throw my 2 cents in. Sars-1 has a (at most) 5 day gestation period but is apparent that you are sick pretty early on and there was a high likelihood that it would kill you. Viruses that present quickly and kill the host typically don't last long in a population because the virus basically kills itself off by killing the host. Sars 1 can be contained easily because you know you have it quick and it kills the host quickly. Sars has about a 20% mortality rate through all ages and a 50% mortality rate for 60+.

MERS is much the same but has a 35% mortality rate overall and spreads more slowly it appears (which is a good thing).

Scientists have not been able to create a stable vaccine or specific treatment for either of these COVIDs. SARS-1 has been around for about 15 years and MERS for about 8 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    My antibody test was negative for past and current exposure.
    Due to my job, I will be getting tested for the virus and the antibodies on a regular basis (fun). That is starting within the next week or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Any modern country can build a sky scrapper in 17 days and it be safe. The issue is, it will be a rectangle building with no style just plain. It would like a Jim Walter home. Investors in the United States are not interested in that.
    not in the US ... cant use wood framing in anything over 5 stories per code and concrete takes a minimum of 28 days to cure .... shoring can't be removed before 21 days .... not to mention site development and utilities rough in ........ The Chinese are lying again
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Due to my job, I will be getting tested for the virus and the antibodies on a regular basis (fun). That is starting within the next week or two.
    Antibody test was nothing, blood. The actual test though, screw that

vCash
    Lol yeah, the actual test is not pleasant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    not in the US ... cant use wood framing in anything over 5 stories per code and concrete takes a minimum of 28 days to cure .... shoring can't be removed before 21 days .... not to mention site development and utilities rough in ........ The Chinese are lying again
    The reaction of all of us bureaucrats reading Jack's post:

"After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Yeah.....I'm pretty excited about having to do that***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    SARS was scary if you got it. But it was much easier to contain because if you had it, you knew you had it. You weren't contagious until you were showing symptoms. I think around only 10,000 people were infected and they were able to completely eliminate it through quarantine and contact tracing.

Ebola outbreaks are similar.

Just for kicks, imagine Ebola with asymptomatic spreaders. Now that'd be a ****ing nightmare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Swollen testicles the size of grapefruits. (or maybe that's marburg).
    We have seen what a disease with a Ebola CFR and with "asymptomatic spreaders"

Plague

vCash
    I used the wrong verbiage. They have the ability to do it. The building was prefabricated and assembled in 17 days.. It is very possible china is lying. Hell they lie about everything. But if you throw out all safety and environmental regulation and not care how many workers die or how many hours they have to work it which they can do in China it is possible to assemble an prefabricated building. I would not want to work in it.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 05-13-2020 at 12:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Others have answered this but I'll throw my 2 cents in. Sars-1 has a (at most) 5 day gestation period but is apparent that you are sick pretty early on and there was a high likelihood that it would kill you. Viruses that present quickly and kill the host typically don't last long in a population because the virus basically kills itself off by killing the host. Sars 1 can be contained easily because you know you have it quick and it kills the host quickly. Sars has about a 20% mortality rate through all ages and a 50% mortality rate for 60+.

MERS is much the same but has a 35% mortality rate overall and spreads more slowly it appears (which is a good thing).

Scientists have not been able to create a stable vaccine or specific treatment for either of these COVIDs. SARS-1 has been around for about 15 years and MERS for about 8 years.
    So how can we make one for COVID-19 ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    SARS was scary if you got it. But it was much easier to contain because if you had it, you knew you had it. You weren't contagious until you were showing symptoms. I think around only 10,000 people were infected and they were able to completely eliminate it through quarantine and contact tracing.

Ebola outbreaks are similar.

Just for kicks, imagine Ebola with asymptomatic spreaders. Now that'd be a ****ing nightmare.
    That's why I feel like contact tracing is largely a waste of time. By the time I know I'm positive and start trace, I've been shedding virus for the last five days around 100 people who each have then went and been around another 100 people.

vCash
    That's why I feel like contact tracing is largely a waste of time. By the time I know I'm positive and start trace, I've been shedding virus for the last five days around 100 people who each have then went and been around another 100 people.
    The assumption with contact tracing is that you would not continue to spend 5+minutes talking to a 100 people after you were tested....

But yeah if you try and contact trace during a normal football season, it's useless...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    The assumption with contact tracing is that you would not continue to spend 5+minutes talking to a 100 people after you were tested....

But yeah if you try and contact trace during a normal football season, it's useless...
    But by the time I go get tested I've already been shedding virus for several days around 100 people.

vCash
    But by the time I go get tested I've already been shedding virus for several days around 100 people.
    So, if you are positive, all of those people have to be tested....

This is not that complicated....

And again, the assumption is you don't go around exposing people if you think you have it.

The assumption is, people will not act like assholes going around spreading the virus, if they think they have the virus and need to be tested.

I see some on here that would spread it on purpose...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I used the wrong verbiage. They have the ability to do it. The building was prefabricated and assembled in 17 days.. It is very possible china is lying. Hell they lie about everything. But if you throw out all safety and environmental regulation and not care how many workers die or how many hours they have to work it which they can do in China it is possible to assemble an prefabricated building. I would not want to work in it.
    I have heavy experience in construction fabrication from load bearing steel framing to pre-stress concrete plank flooring to prefinished exterior wall panels to trusses to bathroom pods and hospital rooms with headwalls and everything ready to go ..... there's absolutely no way it can be done ... not even a 4 story structure - much much less a tower
    Again the Chinese are lying like they are taught from birth to do
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I have heavy experience in construction fabrication from load bearing steel framing to pre-stress concrete plank flooring to prefinished exterior wall panels to trusses to bathroom pods and hospital rooms with headwalls and everything ready to go ..... there's absolutely no way it can be done ... not even a 4 story structure - much much less a tower
    Again the Chinese are lying like they are taught from birth to do
    I don't know and no reason to argue about it. China lies and they lie a bunch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    So, if you are positive, all of those people have to be tested....

This is not that complicated....

And again, the assumption is you don't go around exposing people if you think you have it.

The assumption is, people will not act like assholes going around spreading the virus, if they think they have the virus and need to be tested.

I see some on here that would spread it on purpose...
    I certainly would not spread it on purpose.

But it won't work. Practically, this is how it works. I start feeling symptoms and stop being around people right then and go get tested. By that time, I've been shedding virus for 5 days and have been around 100+ people. There are not enough hours in the day for someone to contact those 100 people and the 100 people each of them have been around the last five days. Like literally, you could make calls 24/7 and not have enough time to do that. Contact tracing won't work with this.