Page 141 of 274 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If you expand testing enough, you can test a much wider swath of society, even those not showing symptoms.

That's the point. Right now, we have to just wait and treat people with symptoms because we can't test enough people to catch it before they show symptoms. But that leaves asymptomatic people spreading the virus, which is why nobody can get ahead of this thing.

I don't know when testing that widespread is possible, but it's the only way to accomplish a wider opening of the economy without another big spike in cases.
    I'm somewhat convinced the current tests are average at best anyway. There's about a 10% positive rate out of all the test performed. That just doesn't compute to me if people getting tested have a lot of the symptoms. Unless there is some other virus floating around.

vCash
    They're wasting tests on pets. Think about that...
    My dad is in a nursing home. We questioned the home about the testing of workers. Said they didn't have enough tests to regularly test them.
    But Mary Ann in NY got her 17ing Pug tested.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 04-28-2020 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    But that strategy (testing people to catch positive people before they are symptomatic) would require testing every person who leaves their house every day right? Otherwise, I test negative on Wednesday and go out in the world and become positive Thursday. Even if we had 200 million tests per day to do that, there is no way that many tests could be processed daily by labs unh?
    there is no way they are going to be able to do the testing they want. Factories just can't manufacture. The most they can is 1 million a month. That what was said the other day at that rate it would be 340 months just to test every american just once. This is all bull shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    My dad is in a nursing home. We questioned the home about the testing of workers. Said they didn't have enough tests to regularly test them.
    $150 is worth more than a life it seems.....

vCash
    https://www.turnto23.com/news/corona...n-from-youtube

Bakersfield doctors Dan Erickson and Artin Massihi are now in the spotlight on the national stage, following their comments made about shelter-in-place orders that have been seen across the country.

23ABC News aired their press conference Wednesday, which has garnered over 5 million views on YouTube, before the media company removed it, stating "inappropriate content" a reason.

In the video, Erickson and Massihi state that healthy people don't need to shelter-in-place anymore based on data they extrapolated from Kern County's COVID-19 testing.

The video gained recognition from Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who tweeted 23ABC's video of the doctors, stating "docs make a good post."

On Monday, Erickson told 23ABC News that he was not expecting national attention and shared his thoughts Musk's shout-out.

"To have someone that in my opinion is brilliant and one of the top minds in the country and in the world give you some affirmation is powerful," Erickson said.

But, not all the feedback has been in favor of Erkcson's viewpoints, including New York emergency physician Stuart Weiss.

"The reason why I think it's dangerous is because they are advocating that we should be quickly lifting social distancing and that's just not correct. While the virus is still out there, here in New York state we're still seeing hundreds of people lose their lives," Weiss said Monday.

Other emergency physician's like Palm Springs M.D. Lawrence Heiskell support Erickson's view that people with compromised immune systems should be quarantining, but healthy people should not.

"Quarantine by definition is to sequester people who are sick. You don't quarantine well people. You let them be exposed in the general public so they can acquire immunity."

Erickson says he has scheduled meetings with various California senators to discuss his data and beliefs on Tuesday.

https://www.turnto23.com/news/local-...place-comments

vCash
    Good points here.

Okay to go to COSTCO but not Church, okay to got to Home Depot but not work.

If you are young and healthy why quarantine, if you are old and sick stay home.

Isolate the sick, not the healthy.

Herd immunity is needed, don't shut down the economy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Good points here.

Been saying it for two weeks. Over 50 or underlying conditions shelter. Everybody else, Time to roll!

vCash
    Good points here.

I saw on report that it is not so much age. It is more with health. It did say that was a problem because there is a large portion of the population that are pre diabetic and don't know it. I agree isolate the sick and old and everyone else go to work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Been saying it for two weeks. Over 50 or underlying conditions shelter. Everybody else, Time to roll!
    Yep. I'm 55 and haven't missed a day of work since this all started. I'm fortunate that I'm healthy and in fairly good shape. Any one with underlying health conditions(whatever they may be) and the elderly do need to be cautious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep. I'm 55 and haven't missed a day of work since this all started. I'm fortunate that I'm healthy and in fairly good shape. Any one with underlying health conditions(whatever they may be) and the elderly do need to be cautious.
    I'm 55 and I have not missed a day of work and I have no fear. I am in really good health and really good shape. I have a really nice home gym in my garage, I lift weights five day a week and I walk 3 miles six nights a week with my wife.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They don't use the same labs. Vets have their own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    They don't use the same labs. Vets have their own.
    They can check it through blood now. I suspect that is what he did.

vCash
    Good points here.

The difference is at work, church, funerals, bars, nursing homes, house parties, etc you are in prolonged close contact. That is still the main transmission mode. The stuff I've seen is that most cases are found in clusters related to those kind of things. Not all, but most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The difference is at work, church, funerals, bars, nursing homes, house parties, etc you are in prolonged close contact. That is still the main transmission mode. The stuff I've seen is that most cases are found in clusters related to those kind of things. Not all, but most.
    You telling me Jesus can't hit a curveball?

vCash
    Good points here.

When you’re at Costco, you’re not sitting next to somebody for an hour. When you’re at Home Depot, you’re not in close proximity to somebody for 8 to 10 hours. When you’re quarantining, you still have to go get groceries. You still have to go to the doctor. You’re still exposed to your family members who are working. Letting everyone go back to work, especially in big cities, is putting at least a quarter of the population at extreme risk after the virus starts spreading again, and it might just be yourself that’s at more risk than you realize. At some point we’re going to have to stick our necks out and take some more risk because we can’t keep everything shut down forever, but thinking it’s just as simple as the at-risk people staying home is a recipe for disaster.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    When you’re at Costco, you’re not sitting next to somebody for an hour. When you’re at Home Depot, you’re not in close proximity to somebody for 8 to 10 hours. When you’re quarantining, you still have to go get groceries. You still have to go to the doctor. You’re still exposed to your family members who are working. Letting everyone go back to work, especially in big cities, is putting at least a quarter of the population at extreme risk after the virus starts spreading again, and it might just be yourself that’s at more risk than you realize. At some point we’re going to have to stick our necks out and take some more risk because we can’t keep everything shut down forever, but thinking it’s just as simple as the at-risk people staying home is a recipe for disaster.
    Exactly...and herd immunity may not be possible. It doesn't happen with most of the other coronaviruses out there.

vCash
    Tyson was shutting down plants for liability reason? John Tyson made it sound like he was doing it for his employees health. I figured it was both. Trump is signing executive order forcing John Tyson to reopen plants and the US goverment is assuming all liability and giving them extra protective equipment. I am guessing they will be doing a lot of testing in those plants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I'm 55 and I have not missed a day of work and I have no fear. I am in really good health and really good shape. I have a really nice home gym in my garage, I lift weights five day a week and I walk 3 miles six nights a week with my wife.
    Geez Jack don't ruin the curve for the rest of us lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Geez Jack don't ruin the curve for the rest of us lol!
    They said that exercise is the best defense if you contract the virus. I lifted weight anyways but the walking started five weeks ago. Oh yeah I'm 230 pounds and have a 36 inch waist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    "At some point we're going to have to stick our necks out and take some more risk".............When, in your opinion, is the more risk ok??