Page 46 of 274 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    They actually update that number later in the day and it's not fully accurate because they only count the tests administered by MSDH. There are tests being administered by private facilities that aren't getting counted in the total.
    Thanks.

Hard to take too much away from cases confirmed then till we see if tests were equal or positive %

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Interesting.

I do think the term “new cases” is misleading. These cases aren’t new they’re just instances where someone got a positive test. They could have had it for over a week.
    Yeah, for sure. We've got about a week of lag between when the tests were administered and results coming back. "Newly reported cases" is probably a better phrase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Dude ... if you buy into that your "critical thinking" skills are severely limited *****
    I think you have to take a measured approach. You need to pay attention to this type of article as much as you pay attention to raw numbers to truly understand a situation like this. Social culture, excess mortality, health services, lifestyle, national policy, and may other things fold into death rates during a pandemic or any major viral outbreak.

I've posted several times that Italy is one of the highest hit countries when it comes to seasonal flu. So much so that it has been studied very extensively by the medical community. They had a seasonal flu epidemic in December 2019 and early January of this year that impacted 2.5 million there and led to hundereds of thousands of hospitalizations. That is NOT to make light of the current pandemic. Just some facts to fold in to this puzzling Italy problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I think you have to take a measured approach. You need to pay attention to this type of article as much as you pay attention to raw numbers to truly understand a situation like this. Social culture, excess mortality, health services, lifestyle, national policy, and may other things fold into death rates during a pandemic or any major viral outbreak.

I've posted several times that Italy is one of the highest hit countries when it comes to seasonal flu. So much so that it has been studied very extensively by the medical community. They had a seasonal flu epidemic in December 2019 and early January of this year that impacted 2.5 million there and led to hundereds of thousands of hospitalizations. That is NOT to make light of the current pandemic. Just some facts to fold in to this puzzling Italy problem.
    What about Spain? (Serious question, I honestly have no idea.)

Their numbers are rapidly approaching Italy's.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    My last post on this subject. Namely cause some of y'all are so left wing it's unbearable

I will not let fear dictate how I live my life. I will be cautious and observant but not fearful. I have lost a parent, I have a parent with underlying health issues and I have lost grandparents so I am not immune to loss of loved ones or concern for loved ones.
    I also understand that we are in a far better place from healthcare, leadership, and hygiene than China, Italy and other countries. I also know that more people that are tested that more people will test positive and a large majority of them will be fine and some will not
    I lift those up and those family's up in thoughts that won't be ok. But as a relatively healthy 42 year old in MS I won't allow myself be consumed by something that has a less mortality rate than auto accidents, seasonal flue, cancer, or other epidemics in this world. If we all reacted this way to other diseases we face everyday how would this world even function

Feel free to bash me I don't care. I just refuse to live in fear
    I refuse to live in fear of walking on lava barefoot when I could just walk on the bridge above it wearing shoes. High five man. We're both badasses.

There is fear and panic (buying obscene amounts of toilet paper) which is stupid. There is being brazenly courageous (ignoring everything despite blatant obvious to the contrary and doing it your way because you're a manly man.) which is stupid.

There's a gray area in between we should all be operating. Wash your hands and protect your loved ones at risk. Don't be ashamed to wear a mask / gloves in public. (Please understand how to properly use gloves if you do. Don't just believe wearing gloves all the time solves it.)

This disease has killed more Italians than Americans that died in 9/11. We responded to that pretty seriously even though your chances of dying in an act of terrorism are lower than all the things you listed.

No one is saying to be a hermit. All I'm saying is we botched this and now there is no redeeming qualities about this presidency as the proverbial house of cards that was our economy built under Trump cane crashing down. By May we're not going to have anything positive to show for his presidency. And think, he could have been 100X more proactive and possibly prevented the incoming recession.

Also I really don't get why wanting poor people to have a basic income and the rich to be taxed more is such a point of contentious debate in Mississippi. That shit doesn't hurt hardly anyone in this state. Sorry I care more about people having the ability to live under a roof and feed their kids over two men kissing. If that makes me "too left-wing" for you, look in the damn mirror and get your priorities straight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post

I agree. And my point with my last 2 posts is there are many variables that we're unaware of at this point as to how bad this can become. There's no real data that is "absolute" out there. There is a lot of data from a lot of different sources and it's quite difficult to correlate due to the disparate methods countries are using in reporting (or not) their individual data.

And we're also at the point where pointing fingers after the fact serves no real purpose either.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Here's the snopes on trump calling it a hoax
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/
    Yea that's about what I said. He didn't flatly call the virus itself a hoax, but he called the liberal response to it a hoax and drummed up his base to treat it as such.

Honestly his super germophobia has helped him stay healthy here. Wish more people would emulate that quality of him in this crisis.

vCash
    What about Spain? (Serious question, I honestly have no idea.)

Their numbers are rapidly approaching Italy's.
    All my flu searches on Spain pull up the Spanish flu, so who knows. Maybe someone can find something... I wanna know too

vCash
    Mods, can we please get a purge of those not following the NO POLITICS rule?
    Last edited by turkish; 03-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    So anyone who who sees this situation for what it is, a national health crisis, is ?left wing?? That comment sir, validated my premise 100%. Good God.
    No. Man, I hate getting political, but you are blinded by your hatred. You and most of the vocal folks on this thread. Hell, even democratic governors are saying the President is doing a good job. He absolutely made mistakes but you obviously aren?t watching the daily press conferences if you think he is downplaying this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    Mods, can we please get purge of those not following the NO POLITICS rule?
    Yes, Please! This has turned into a point/counterpoint thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    Mods, can we please get purge of those not following the NO POLITICS rule?
    It’s time to kill this entire thread. It’s not helping anything.

vCash
    Can we make a thread with facts only, and no opinions?

Only problem is that some people don't understand the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    I refuse to live in fear of walking on lava barefoot when I could just walk on the bridge above it wearing shoes. High five man. We're both badasses.

There is fear and panic (buying obscene amounts of toilet paper) which is stupid. There is being brazenly courageous (ignoring everything despite blatant obvious to the contrary and doing it your way because you're a manly man.) which is stupid.

There's a gray area in between we should all be operating. Wash your hands and protect your loved ones at risk. Don't be ashamed to wear a mask / gloves in public. (Please understand how to properly use gloves if you do. Don't just believe wearing gloves all the time solves it.)

This disease has killed more Italians than Americans that died in 9/11. We responded to that pretty seriously even though your chances of dying in an act of terrorism are lower than all the things you listed.

No one is saying to be a hermit. All I'm saying is we botched this and now there is no redeeming qualities about this presidency as the proverbial house of cards that was our economy built under Trump cane crashing down. By May we're not going to have anything positive to show for his presidency. And think, he could have been 100X more proactive and possibly prevented the incoming recession.

Also I really don't get why wanting poor people to have a basic income and the rich to be taxed more is such a point of contentious debate in Mississippi. That shit doesn't hurt hardly anyone in this state. Sorry I care more about people having the ability to live under a roof and feed their kids over two men kissing. If that makes me "too left-wing" for you, look in the damn mirror and get your priorities straight.

You are so caught up in the politics of this it's pathetic

The only way we as a country could've been fully prepared for this is if Obama's administration started preparing for this which would've required predicting the future. Good luck with that.

Trump-bashing is so stupid and beside the point here. And believe me, I am no Trump supporter so spare me that speech. I don't vote like Hacker and I certainly don't complain about politics because I respect that I give that right up by not voting and I'm ok with that. Politicians don't give a damn about the people that voted them in. It all becomes who can line my pockets and who do I owe or who has dirty laundry on me.

You are just taking the easy road out and saying someone... anyone else could've done better. You are just too blinded with hate to accept that this doesn't fall on one person and their decisions the made early on. Right or wrong. Before you do it, let me stop you before you assume which side of this I fall on. Because you have no clue so just stop.

Why are you bringing up poor and rich people being taxed? Because you're pathetically blinded with the politics in all of this. Plain and simple. No need to try to explain. It's glaringly obvious.

vCash
    People of note who tested positive in past 24 hours:
    - Rand Paul
    - Harvey Weinstein
    - Amy Klobuchar's husband (hospitalized)

Quarantined due to exposure to someone infected:
    - Mitt Romney
    - Angela Merkel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
    Can we make a thread with facts only, and no opinions?

Only problem is that some people don't understand the difference.
    Exactly.

We get it, some of you don't like Trump and the way it was handled. We understand. Guess what? You can't change it regardless of if you agree with it or not. All we can do is look forward and discuss how we're going to get through this thing. And we will get through this regardless of the "we're all gonna die" mentality that I've seen here by some. Really wish the mods would enforce what they say in the thread's title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    You are so caught up in the politics of this it's pathetic

The only way we as a country could've been fully prepared for this is if Obama's administration started preparing for this which would've required predicting the future. Good luck with that.

Trump-bashing is so stupid and beside the point here. And believe me, I am no Trump supporter so spare me that speech. I don't vote like Hacker and I certainly don't complain about politics because I respect that I give that right up by not voting and I'm ok with that. Politicians don't give a damn about the people that voted them in. It all becomes who can line my pockets and who do I owe or who has dirty laundry on me.

You are just taking the easy road out and saying someone... anyone else could've done better. You are just too blinded with hate to accept that this doesn't fall on one person and their decisions the made early on. Right or wrong. Before you do it, let me stop you before you assume which side of this I fall on. Because you have no clue so just stop.

Why are you bringing up poor and rich people being taxed? Because you're pathetically blinded with the politics in all of this. Plain and simple. No need to try to explain. It's glaringly obvious.
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...ercise-in-2017
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Delaware, Ohio, Louisiana, and now Michigan have issued stay at home orders since yesterday, basically shutting down the entire economy. California, NY, Pennsylvania did the same last week. I imagine ours is coming soon.

vCash
    They actually update that number later in the day and it's not fully accurate because they only count the tests administered by MSDH. There are tests being administered by private facilities that aren't getting counted in the total.
    That number DOES include outside labs. It specifically states that on the website.

vCash
    Here are the latest numbers from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ but I think some of this is skewed.

Global death rate: 4.3%

US death rate: 1.3%

They say that 5% of the total cases are severe/critical while the rest are mild. Like another poster said, some of the cases from certain countries are all being dumped in the mild bucket, so in reality, the percentage of severe cases is probably a bit higher.

Out of the resolved cases, 13% of the cases have resulted in death, but I think this number is off too. I think people that recover from it aren't being entered into the system accurately, making that number much lower in reality. For example, the US only has 184 totally recovered people out of 35k cases. I don't believe that for a second. So what I'm trying to say is take these numbers with a grain of salt.