Page 64 of 274 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Not sure about first reported cases, but

Italy on 2/23 - had 155 cases
    USA on 3/5 - had 159 cases

Roughly 10 days behind them originally.

Italy on 3/14 - had 21157 cases
    USA on 3/14 - had 2836 cases

Today

Italy has 80539 cases
    USA has 81285 cases
    When did both countries start mass testing? I'm genuinely interested in this bc if we had a confirmed case in late January, then I'm pretty sure he gave it to someone here who gave it to someone who gave it to someone. What if he wasn't the first case here just the first documented?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When did both countries start mass testing? I'm genuinely interested in this bc if we had a confirmed case in late January, then I'm pretty sure he gave it to someone here who gave it to someone who gave it to someone. What if he wasn't the first case here just the first documented?
    We have not started mass testing. By any rational definition we have not started mass testing.

I'm not sure I get the point of your inquiry though. It got to the US because people traveled from countries that had it and it spreads so easily. The article from South Korea about the 1 guy responsible for over 1000 cases by simply going to church and then a buffet. Just nutty stuff.

vCash
    The guy from the article earlier tweets about it. A few more tweets in the thread.

[tweet2]1243294815200124928[/tweet2]

vCash
    Italy is not testing anyone under 30 unless they are in the hospital.

vCash
    We have not started mass testing. By any rational definition we have not started mass testing.

I'm not sure I get the point of your inquiry though. It got to the US because people traveled from countries that had it and it spreads so easily. The article from South Korea about the 1 guy responsible for over 1000 cases by simply going to church and then a buffet. Just nutty stuff.
    It was a woman, and she was told not to do it. She was patient zero for the cult church that is at the heart of the initial outbreak in South Korea.

vCash

The reason I asked that was bc I was wondering if we timed our testing with when it started becoming widespread or did we find out it was widespread when we started testing?

vCash

Nobody has really mass tested except for the Chinese, IF you believe what they are saying. THEY only did it in Wuhan, by their own admission.

vCash

Today

Italy has 80539 cases
    USA has 81285 cases
    You are aware we have 5 1/5 times their population?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    You are aware we have 5 1/5 times their population?
    Yes - that would seem to be a bad thing, right?

vCash

Today

Italy has 80539 cases
    USA has 81285 cases
    According to this

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...id-19-testing/

On March 2nd:
    Italy had tested 23,345 (386 per million)
    US had tested 472 (1 per million)

On March 9th:
    Italy had tested 60,761 (1105 per million)
    US had tested 8,554 (26 per million)

The difference in testing makes me wonder if that's some of the case totals difference

vCash
    According to this

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...id-19-testing/

On March 2nd:
    Italy had tested 23,345 (386 per million)
    US had tested 472 (1 per million)

On March 9th:
    Italy had tested 60,761 (1105 per million)
    US had tested 8,554 (26 per million)

The difference in testing makes me wonder if that's some of the case totals difference
    This video states what I was thinking much better than I could express it in words here. Really interesting....

https://youtu.be/mCa0JXEwDEk

Sirbarksalot posted it on SPS

vCash
    As I have stated ad nauseum: these tests are NOT indicative of the rate of spread they are indicative of an exponential increase in testing. The folks who are testing positive right now are showing symptoms which means they contracted the virus 1-2 weeks ago. We will have more cases than any other country outside of China and India. Why? Because we have higher populations than any other country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    As I have stated ad nauseum: these tests are NOT indicative of the rate of spread they are indicative of an exponential increase in testing. The folks who are testing positive right now are showing symptoms which means they contracted the virus 1-2 weeks ago. We will have more cases than any other country outside of China and India. Why? Because we have higher populations than any other country.
    You know we just passed China right?

ETA:

People who are getting tested are sick. We're not testing everybody. It is quite indicative of the spread.

We didn't have hospitals on the brink of failure in February. This has not been going around undetected in large parts of the population for months. If it was, our hospitals would've been full before now.
    Last edited by hacker; 03-26-2020 at 08:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    So you think China's numbers are accurate?

vCash
    So you think China's numbers are accurate?
    I can't really say if their numbers are accurate. They def could've lied about how many people tested positive back then, but there is real world evidence that they're getting back to normal now.

Apple re-opened their stores in China and closed them in the rest of the world. Traffic data shows Shanghai getting back to normal. They're lifting the lockdown in Wuhan: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/...hnk/index.html

vCash
    I can't really say if their numbers are accurate. They def could've lied about how many people tested positive back then, but there is real world evidence that they're getting back to normal now.

Apple re-opened their stores in China and closed them in the rest of the world. Traffic data shows Shanghai getting back to normal. They're lifting the lockdown in Wuhan: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/...hnk/index.html
    Interesting.

What you make of the 21 million missing cell phones in China?

vCash
    Interesting.

What you make of the 21 million missing cell phones in China?
    Fake news or the government shutting off phones that tried to expose the situation via social media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Fake news or the government shutting off phones that tried to expose the situation via social media.
    I buy both more than I buy that many Chinese died. I do think the numbers in China are more than reported though. Crazy leaders could've sent 10,000 infected around the world, and it wouldn't surprise me

vCash
    I buy both more than I buy that many Chinese died. I do think the numbers in China are more than reported though. Crazy leaders could've sent 10,000 infected around the world, and it wouldn't surprise me
    If that many died they could not cover it up. I think they absolutely lied about their numbers, but not to that extent.

vCash

ETA:

People who are getting tested are sick. We're not testing everybody. It is quite indicative of the spread.

We didn't have hospitals on the brink of failure in February. This has not been going around undetected in large parts of the population for months. If it was, our hospitals would've been full before now.
    I’ve appreciated the numbers you’ve been posting but this post lost me. Obviously the more we test the more we find. I also saw somewhere, don’t know where, today that something like 14% of the tested are positive. So we are testing more, we are finding more cases, it is spreading, but a lot of folks don’t have it.

That said, dr birx today talked about how either the numbers are way off or there are a ton of folks that have it that are asymptomatic.