Page 61 of 274 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Death rate at 3 per million right now, which is tied with Germany and South Korea.
    Sorry I am having difficulty with the reported death rate numbers and with comparing one countries numbers to another. The reason is:

The criteria for who gets tested is "most likely" different per country (in MS for example you had to have a fever above 101.5 in order to be tested)
    The numbers do not include people that have the virus and have not been tested because they did not meet the criteria (this will reduce the death rate - percentage wise)

I know it is the only number we have, but I think we "most likely" are comparing apples to oranges.

vCash
    108 new cases in MS. About 35% increase in our previous largest day of new cases.

Lauderdale gets its first 3 cases

DeSoto takes over as the county with the most cases

87 total cases in metro area (Hinds, Rankin, Madison)

Oktibbeha up to 10 cases
    Last edited by hacker; 03-26-2020 at 10:28 AM.

vCash
    A disturbing trend

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    A disturbing trend
    Not a surprising one tho.

vCash
    We've now passed Italy for the second most Covid-19 cases in the world. Only a fraction of their deaths though.

vCash
    I'm a Republican through and through, but I've been impressed with Gov. Cuomo in New York. He's a leader. I think he could win a presidential election one day.

vCash
    "Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson?s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson has changed his tune, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments.

Ferguson thus dropped his prediction from 500,000 dead to 20,000.

Author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson broke down the bombshell report via Twitter on Thursday morning "

https://www.dailywire.com/news/epide...mpaign=dwbrand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I'm a Republican through and through, but I've been impressed with Gov. Cuomo in New York. He's a leader. I think he could win a presidential election one day.
    I think 95% of politicians are terrible people and I've also been impressed with the way he's handling it. I thought the same as you about president, actually.

vCash
    "Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson?s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson has changed his tune, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments.

Ferguson thus dropped his prediction from 500,000 dead to 20,000.

Author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson broke down the bombshell report via Twitter on Thursday morning "

https://www.dailywire.com/news/epide...mpaign=dwbrand
    Yep, I talked to a leading infectious disease doctor at uab last week and he said the numbers were being exaggerated big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep, I talked to a leading infectious disease doctor at uab last week and he said the numbers were being exaggerated big time.
    If his revised prediction comes true, good luck convincing people when the next threat comes along, and it could be even more serious. If this comes in at 25x less severe than predicted, Epidemiologists' field will take a huge blow in credibility

vCash
    Overall perspective on COVID-19:

"About 80% of people get a very mild illness and they recover uneventfully. That's important to realize," said Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician with Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

An additional 15% of people infected with coronavirus have more serious symptoms, and 5% develop life-threatening illness, experts say.

vCash
    Stock market up big again today so far. That's positive.

vCash
    If his revised prediction comes true, good luck convincing people when the next threat comes along, and it could be even more serious. If this comes in at 25x less severe than predicted, Epidemiologists' field will take a huge blow in credibility
    Yep, that's why this doctor I talked with wished they would've excercised a little more caution in these numbers. This guy's been doing this for over 20+ years and is at the top of his field. He alieved a lot of my concerns over the virus itself. I'm hoping and praying that this thing does level off and the rate of infections and deaths is way lower than some were predicting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    These are all fair points. My rebuttal to china and russia is that canada and europe seem to have certain aspects of the healthcare figured out that we don't. The VA hospitals man... just an absolute travesty.

I don't think UH or UBI are a magic cure-all. And I agree that bureaucracy destroys it. It's absolutely mindnumbing to see people wanting to go backwards however. And I still believe we gotta try. There's no perfect solution path (anyone who says there is, is lying.) But there's definitely steps better than we got. As for the hospitals being the DMV, I mean for a lot of people it can be, even in the ER. Not VA level bad, but it's gotten pretty bad.

Sidenote: We could all (myself included) take a lesson from this post. This is how we should be discussing things. Together not against.
    Yes, Canada and Europe seem to be doing some things correctly.

My rebuttal to that is we aren't Canada or some small Scandinavian country. It is much easier to run a unified universal healthcare system when your population is more similar to Rhode Island than it is the entire United states.

Those Scandinavian countries also have had much better unemployment rates which means more people are paying into the system. Our unemployment rate is now much improved or was before the COVID stuff hit which would help some.

Same thing with Canada, their entire population is roughly 37 million. California has 39 million people alone.

We aren't Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It is nearly impossible to compare the two healthcare systems.

European countries are also much healthier than the United States is which cuts down on the demands placed on Healthcare. Less heart disease, Lung Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.

If we are going to have Universal Healthcare then we might as well go ahead and start placing requirements on diet etc. to receive "free" healthcare.
    Basically a "if you can't afford healthcare that is alright we will cover it but you better not be stuffing yourself with junk food and getting zero exercise."

And don't take my comments as divisive or attacking, just pointing out some things to think about. Just as it may not be fair for some to not receive healthcare, it isn't fair to me to foot the healthcare bill for someone that wants to eat nothing but fried food and not exercise while also not being to afford their own healthcare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Yes, Canada and Europe seem to be doing some things correctly.

My rebuttal to that is we aren't Canada or some small Scandinavian country. It is much easier to run a unified universal healthcare system when your population is more similar to Rhode Island than it is the entire United states.

Those Scandinavian countries also have had much better unemployment rates which means more people are paying into the system. Our unemployment rate is now much improved or was before the COVID stuff hit which would help some.

Same thing with Canada, their entire population is roughly 37 million. California has 39 million people alone.

We aren't Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It is nearly impossible to compare the two healthcare systems.

European countries are also much healthier than the United States is which cuts down on the demands placed on Healthcare. Less heart disease, Lung Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.

If we are going to have Universal Healthcare then we might as well go ahead and start placing requirements on diet etc. to receive "free" healthcare.
    Basically a "if you can't afford healthcare that is alright we will cover it but you better not be stuffing yourself with junk food and getting zero exercise."

And don't take my comments as divisive or attacking, just pointing out some things to think about. Just as it may not be fair for some to not receive healthcare, it isn't fair to me to foot the healthcare bill for someone that wants to eat nothing but fried food and not exercise while also not being to afford their own healthcare.
    So, do we have to line up in front of a two way TV and exercise? I think I've seen that somewhere before.

vCash
    From 0 to 250,000 cases: 4 months
    From 250,000 to 500,000 cases: 1 week

Terrifying. And still accelerating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    From 0 to 250,000 cases: 4 months
    From 250,000 to 500,000 cases: 1 week

Terrifying. And still accelerating.
    Considering they've just developed a test within the last month that reliably identifies this virus that is not suprising at all. A lot of people need to take a break from the internet for a while. Science doesn't exist in a vacuum and (believe it or not) science does not have an answer for everything immediatly. It would probably scare many of you to know at what level your are "winging it" many times until you can create and vaildate a method or assay. Numbers are rising (and will continue to rise) at an exponential rate because we are testing at an exponential rate now. These numbers are not tracking the rate at which the virus is spreading they are tracking the rate at which we are testing now. As more supply gets out there more tests will be run, restrictions for testing will be dropped, more people will be able to test, and the numbers will rise dramatically.

Additionally, if a "take at home" test is released (which is being rumored now) I can see numbers jumping up by the hundreds of thousands daily. The majority of those will be mild or asymptomatic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Considering they've just developed a test within the last month that reliably identifies this virus that is not suprising at all. A lot of people need to take a break from the internet for a while. Science doesn't exist in a vacuum and (believe it or not) science does not have an answer for everything immediatly. It would probably scare many of you to know at what level your are "winging it" many times until you can create and vaildate a method or assay. Numbers are rising (and will continue to rise) at an exponential rate because we are testing at an exponential rate now. These numbers are not tracking the rate at which the virus is spreading they are tracking the rate at which we are testing now. As more supply gets out there more tests will be run, restrictions for testing will be dropped, more people will be able to test, and the numbers will rise dramatically.

Additionally, if a "take at home" test is released (which is being rumored now) I can see numbers jumping up by the hundreds of thousands daily. The majority of those will be mild or asymptomatic.
    While people testing positive isn't great, this would be great so we could actually get some real numbers to base these graphs off of and a real understanding of how serious this is.

vCash
    Considering there have been 23k deaths worldwide and millions of cases, I actually think the numbers are pretty good (relatively speaking).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Not trying to belittle the situation at all, and I understand we need to "control it ". But that's only Bc of hospitals. This thing is going to run its course non matter what we do. There is not such thing as lock down. People have to eat and get Medicine etc. so you can't keep everyone home.... heck 1mil plus die in car crashes every year and that doesn't stop traffic....but the side effects of this, suicide, depression, etc will equal the death toll in the US when this is all said and done it's sad. There is a way to slow it, but no way to stop it.
    Please stop saying things that aren?t true. A million people do not die in car crashes each year.

That?s insane. Please don?t just regurgitate bullshit that you hear on television.

In 2018 there were over 36,000 car related deaths.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto...ar#cite_note-9