Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
How about instead of rejoicing in things aren't worse, you acknowledge that mask wearing and social distancing has worked...
Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
I can't speak for Mississippi since I don't live there, but it's clear here in the DFW area that mask wearing has made a big difference, so I'm very happy that the dire predictions didn't come to pass (so far anyway). It's given me a chance to come out of the basement and live a halfway normal life. So thank you to all of those that did your part to help make this pandemic a little more tolerable.
I don't believe it's clear either way. Here in Arkansas as of a few days ago we had a total of 64,690 cases and 882 deaths from COVID with a statewide mask mandate while our neighbor Oklahoma had 62,040 total cases and 846 deaths without a state mask mandate and OK has nearly 1 million more people than AR. There are some localities in OK that have adopted mask mandates to be fair.

People point to lower case counts to back up their claims of masks being effective as well but don't include that the CDC has adjusted their recommendations for receiving tests driving down total tests as a whole. At the same time deaths aren't jumping up like was predicted and hospitalizations haven't hit anywhere near predicted.

At best the arguement that masks are effective is inconclusive. That's without going into how the CDC now considers anyone that has been within 6ft of a COVID positive person WITH or WITHOUT a mask a close contact and recommends they quarantine or the studies that have come out saying that the neck gaiters and maks with vents/flaps are worse than not wearing a mask. OSHA guidelines say that cloth masks all the way up to surgical masks will not protect anyone from airborne infections. You'll need an N95. But Fauci was saying not too long ago that may not be enough and we should wear goggles.