Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I can think of no better way of achieving herd immunity than opening things back up.
    yeah, if people do what they are supposed to do. Like all things, leadership on how to open, what to open, and at what rate would be key. So far, that leadership at all levels has been missing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    yeah, if people do what they are supposed to do. Like all things, leadership on how to open, what to open, and at what rate would be key. So far, that leadership at all levels has been missing.
    I definitely think opening up should be gradual. It appears as if the Federal government agrees too.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I definitely think opening up should be gradual. It appears as if the Federal government agrees too.
    I think everyone is on board with a gradual reopening. Great care has to be taken, by everyone involved, (govt, businesses prepped for safer working conditions, and the workers).
    My issue is that weeks ago, there was a sentiment that we just need to let everyone go back to work starting May 1. Well that is not reality. From what I have read, most state governors are saying the correct things. Florida, Iowa, NJ, and NY all have laid out pretty good looking plans in general. It all comes down to, people taking this thing seriously even when things appear to be going in the right direction. It could turn if everyone lets their guard down. Just saying.

In general, most offices and work places can take steps to protect. The hardest will be things like restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, etc. I think most people will refrain from going into a crowded place, regardless of where the numbers are. Everyone needs to keep reminding people to protect yourself and demand the best possible scenario at each place of business as possible. Some will be impossible. Some may not need to be reopened.

vCash
    I think everyone is on board with a gradual reopening. Great care has to be taken, by everyone involved, (govt, businesses prepped for safer working conditions, and the workers).
    My issue is that weeks ago, there was a sentiment that we just need to let everyone go back to work starting May 1. Well that is not reality. From what I have read, most state governors are saying the correct things. Florida, Iowa, NJ, and NY all have laid out pretty good looking plans in general. It all comes down to, people taking this thing seriously even when things appear to be going in the right direction. It could turn if everyone lets their guard down. Just saying.

In general, most offices and work places can take steps to protect. The hardest will be things like restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, etc. I think most people will refrain from going into a crowded place, regardless of where the numbers are. Everyone needs to keep reminding people to protect yourself and demand the best possible scenario at each place of business as possible. Some will be impossible. Some may not need to be reopened.
    I really don't think getting people to follow along is an issue. Remember a month and a half ago or so when people thought that Americans wouldn't go along with social distancing? Yes there have been a few small protests but it's only been recently for the most part when it's about time to start to open back up anyway if those people wait a couple of weeks.

vCash

This is the biggest hurdle. Cases will begin to nosedive and a lot of people will say "it's over" and throw caution to the wind.

vCash
    The correct information has to be repeated. People have short term memory issues and without being reminded will then follow this post up with a "so when are we all going to start going back to football games" post. The simple fact is, this will not get better without better testing, herd immunization, or a vaccine. Just telling older people to stay home will do next to nothing when everyone they could have contact with is compromised. Other than full quarantine on older people, it will fail. That's including all packaging on food product. etc.

Truth is, there is no ground breaking information to share in this conversation or other Covid conversations. The simple truth is that things are not going to go back to normal until one or more of those three simple things are achieved. Sure, we could start back the economy right now with safe guards on how we work and things may not get too bad. We can try it, but people act like we are going to just flip the switch back on we are going to stay with the current trends is crazy. Within 3 weeks of the on switch, we could surpass our capacity given the current numbers of known and to a bigger extent the unknown infected.

Seriously, two days after they stopped the day by day updates on infected and deaths people were like....."so we can go back to doing what we want?"
    Common sense approach is the best bet, but do not forget that anyone that chooses to go out and has any kind of contact with anyone or anything that could find its way into a compromised person is upping those peoples chance of contracting it and dying.

Very few if any are acting like that. Just because one's opinion is that football will be played this fall or they are ready to watch sports doesn't mean they think everything is back to normal and the virus has just up and vanished. But yes, people are itching to get back to some sense of normalcy. Humans nor many animals at all are really built to be complacent and just sit around and wait and cower in the corner forever.

Do you expect this virus to ever be gone? What is your tentative date of return to normalcy? Normalcy will become everything we were doing + Covid and herd immunity or a vaccine. Even with a vaccine. It will very likely become part of "the norm" or we will have a COVID-20 strain.

So far, that leadership at all levels has been missing.
    Maybe you should send all the leaders and experts the book that was written on how to handle this.