Thread: Article On CFB Attendance

vCash

Article On CFB Attendance

Interesting stuff here.

It's amazing to me that DWS doesn't have WiFi yet. That's about as cheapo as an athletic department can get and no doubt hurts student attendance.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...st-since-1996/
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I can?t even get a cell single on game day. My buddy?s and I like to group text during the game but it?s usually an hour after the game before most messages pop through.

I?m with you. This is an easy fix and one that should happen immediately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Interesting stuff here.

It's amazing to me that DWS doesn't have WiFi yet. That's about as cheapo as an athletic department can get and no doubt hurts student attendance.

Installing wifi wouldn't have helped attendance if Moorhead was still the coach. It's the product on the field that generates interest. Publish this same article next year and I can guarantee you that we'll have increased attendance over last year.

There isn't a magic pill or solution regarding attendance. Each school and location has its own unique challenges.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Installing wifi wouldn't have helped attendance if Moorhead was still the coach. It's the product on the field that generates interest. Publish this same article next year and I can guarantee you that we'll have increased attendance over last year.

There isn't a magic pill or solution regarding attendance. Each school and location has its own unique challenges.
    I disagree. Not having three day games in a row at the beginning of the season would help. I don't care how good we are this year, I won't do it again.

vCash

Since the NEZ opened our average attendance is:
    '14: 61,127
    '15: 61,784
    '16: 58,317
    '17: 58,100
    '18: 58,057
    '19: 56,182

I know the SloMo show hurt, but I think the early season noon starts hurt us more.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Since the NEZ opened our average attendance is:
    '14: 61,127
    '15: 61,784
    '16: 58,317
    '17: 58,100
    '18: 58,057
    '19: 56,182

I know the SloMo show hurt, but I think the early season noon starts hurt us more.

Hell we only had one true night game last season.

vCash

I cant speak for other schools, but...

For the average fan that doesn't have thousands of dollars in disposable income (or have other competing hobbies they'd rather spend that money on), game day can be a pain in the a$$. Parking, long walks, shitty seating, expensive concessions (much improved lately), long lines at entrances/metal detectors, 15 minute walk up ramps to the nose bleed's, lack of cell service, etc etc etc. This on top of a shitty product on the field the last few years.

You have to look at the athletic department as a business. What is the customer's experience like? The folks that donate thousands of dollars to the university are not the ones I'm referencing. You already have them. They wouldn't be donating/spending the kind of money they do if they weren't already "all in". I'm talking about the group of folks that fill the remaining 60-70% of stadium. I think a shift in the mind set of "revenue at all costs" needs to be made. Most of the AD's money comes from eyeballs on TV's. That trend is going to continue for the foreseeable future. You increase the number of eyeballs in college athletics by having a loyal fanbase. Loyal fanbases are grown from folks that feel like a part of the university and ENJOY experiences at games/events with family/friends. Makes them want to go to more games, buy merchandise, and catch games on TV when they can't be there. Obviously you can't lose money on the live events, but maybe a balance can be struck to sacrifice a bit of 'per fan' game day revenue to improve fan experience, increase the number of fans at events, increase your fanbase, and in the long run, increase gameday as well as overall revenue.

There's a segment of every fan base that will go out of a sense of duty for the university. Most on these message boards are probably in that category. The vast majority are not. They may be fans, but need a reason to attend live events. If the hassle outweighs the experience, they stay at home and stay disconnected.

A few improvements that would help IMHO:
    - More parking/parking garages closer to the stadium that the average fan (non-bulldog club members) can afford ($10) along with an increase in shuttles from distant lots to the stadium.
    - Bowl in the south endzone and replace all bleachers with chairbacks (with cupholders) in the entire stadium. Obviously comfort is a big factor in fan experience. DWS may never be the biggest in the SEC, but why not the nicest (and most attended, percentage wise).
    - Lower ticket prices
    - No more 11:00 games when its 120 degrees.
    - Expand vendors/food trucks/etc outside the stadium (saw mention of this in the article). Good source of revenue for the university as well as convenience for fans. (May could expand this to an area with booths to sell merchandise for the university - small flea market type area maybe?)
    - Shorter concession lines (however that could be achieved).
    - Renovation of bathrooms that need it.
    - Additional elevators for those that aren't in Sherpa shape.

You have to look at how we can increase butts in seats in order to grow the fan base. Everybody has that uncle or cousin that's a State fan, that never goes to games. Why is that? We need those folks to participate.

vCash

Regardless, DWS not having WiFi is ridiculous and the epitome of lessening the fan experience based on being cheap
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Interesting stuff here.

Yeah..... installation of WIFI will save the day. College Sports is overpriced. You raise the price enough on anything that people like and eventually you better be presenting a perfect product with no options (TV comes to mind).

Name the 5 reasons the common fan attends a sporting event......
    (not the over analytical types who like to coach technique from stands/message boards because they coached 10 year olds to a league championship)

Mine would be:
    -Support my institution
    -Socialize with Friends
    -Watch a good competitive event
    -Watch someone I know personally compete in a game
    ....could not think of a 5th reason

At some point, I am priced out because i can have a good time meeting those desires through different avenues and not pay as much. The last one would be tough if I had a family member playing and then I may pony up more than normal to be there.

Sports is seen as a fun activity that people like to attend and enjoy. The business of sports has continued to push the cost of enjoyment higher each year. They feed the "hungry" sports fans with dreams of grandeur with constant sports stories to draw them in and make them want more by "being there". And if your team is on top, then maybe it all seems worth it..... But the odds are small that your team will make the final mountain top. Do you root for the players that worked hard and failed in the end or does any failure make you mad because because you invested a few hrs of your time and lots of earned dollars into the must have championship and the product did not meet your "standards" in the end.

Fans have fed this product over the years because of their enjoyment and passion. But at what point does the cost outweigh the true enjoyment.