Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Week for Baseball Game 1 of 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    This win somewhat makes up for the Texas Southern loss. At least from an RPI perspective. Bc this Texas Tech team is really good, and a win over them looks outstanding. Only thing better would be two wins..
    I agree because it puts tat Texas Southern loss as an extreme outlier. One of those unexpected bad losses that won?t hold weight with these type wins and an above 500 conference record which we will need to host

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Anyone else think that maybe we just have a hard time facing low quality pitching to start the year off when we have practiced 6 months against ourselves?! Some other really good teams are having the same issues we are including LSU.

I also think some of our fans forget that baseball is not like football where you must win them all. I honestly think that All three of our coaches like to let our guys face adversity and get backed in a corner to see how they respond - these young kids need to be left in to allow them to overcome issues and gain confidence - you can afford to lose some games this time of year if that's the result.
    I honestly think it's a couple of things:

1. Allen and Hancock being hurt. If I told you in the offseason that neither would be 100% at this point it would change the outlook of our team drastically. We're replacing Allen with a guy hitting below the Mendoza Line- pick one between Cumbest, Brock, and McGowan. Logan Tanner has done a good job but right now he's not as good a hitter as Hancock. The rest of the upper classmen have done OK. Kamren James and Logan Tanner have held their own for freshmen. But the rest...

2. Slumps happen in baseball. It's the nature of the game. And point number one didn't help.

vCash

Good win

Sims is legit. Elite potential there.

Glad to see Cumbest/Pimental in lineup together. Got to go high risk high reward some with TA pop out the lineup.

Play James at third if he is going to be in the lineup. That way you can be flexible with the DH spot.

What an effort by Harding. Hopefully we can get another good one tomorrow. Our staff can get outs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I honestly think it's a couple of things:

1. Allen and Hancock being hurt. If I told you in the offseason that neither would be 100% at this point it would change the outlook of our team drastically. We're replacing Allen with a guy hitting below the Mendoza Line- pick one between Cumbest, Brock, and McGowan. Logan Tanner has done a good job but right now he's not as good a hitter as Hancock. The rest of the upper classmen have done OK. Kamren James and Logan Tanner have held their own for freshmen. But the rest...

2. Slumps happen in baseball. It's the nature of the game. And point number one didn't help.
    We have 4 guys who are regulars in the lineup batting below .200. If/when we have a game where 2 or more of our top 5 bats struggle, we will have a hard time winning. Even against poor competition (see Texas Southern). The encouraging thing is our pitching has been better than expected, especially considering we lost two of our top arms.