Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finebaum saying Kiffin going to take over the State of MS in recruiting....

vCash

Finebaum saying Kiffin going to take over the State of MS in recruiting....

I know he can be a moron but it is interesting to hear how some outsiders perceive how this thing between Leach and Kiffin will work out.

-------
    As Mississippi State progresses through Leach's first year on the job, how do the Bulldogs project in 2020 and beyond? --

"I think it's going to be this year," Finebaum said of Mississippi State's best season under Leach. "Well, I'm not saying it's going (downhill after that). ... I think, because of the quarterback situation ? he's got the kid from Stanford, (graduate transfer quarterback KJ Costello), he looks really good ? I just don't know about Mike Leach's recruiting down the road."

"And I think the reason I bring that up is because Kiffin will ultimately start taking over that state," Finebaum said. "He didn't do it in the first go-around because I think it was really difficult to get established, but Lane is a very smart recruiter. Leach recruits a different type of athlete."
    -------

Guess we are going to find out whether Leach and Company have been limited in recruiting because of school location or because they just are not that great at recruiting.

vCash
    Thanks for reminding me why I don't watch or listen to his bullshit.

I hope Joe does well at Rutgers which he basically called our AD a liar about. We see how that all went down.

Anyway he's wrong because he only pays attention to Alabama and doesn't understand that Ole Miss brought in Kiffin to recruit nationally and we brought in Leach and we are still going to have a large focus on Mississippi.

This is exactly what these "hot take" sports personalities do- they make a stupid quote or comment and then add in a little parachute like "This is going to be Leach's best year....Well, I'm not saying it's going downhill after that".

The excuse he made about Kiffin not recruiting well is drivel. Heck, even Dan Mullen pulled in Chad Bumphis after taking over.

It has been pretty consistently proven that Leach recruits at or slightly above the profile of the school. Meaning the "experts" at 247 will continue to underrate people like Janari Dean and make them three stars and make our class look worse than it really is. And then they'll win 8-9 games at least three times in their career here.

Kiffin has never recruited well without Coach O on his staff. That has to be a little concerning considering how Ole Miss's last class turned out.

vCash
    The state of Mississippi will always be split pretty close to 50/50. That's the way it's always been, regardless of the "elite" recruiters OM has trotted out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    The state of Mississippi will always be split pretty close to 50/50. That's the way it's always been, regardless of the "elite" recruiters OM has trotted out there.
    This. Many of them will be leaning to OM or MSU because of loyalties growing up regardless of the coach.

vCash
    Finebaum is an arrogant ass. Kiffin coached at AL so of course he will say good things about him. He has no educated opinion on this, & no idea how recruiting plays out in our state.

vCash
    Please let Bartoo go on Finebaum and let actual numbers speak for themselves instead of opinions. I prefer the numbers game all day long.

vCash
    Well, we're recruiting TX harder than MS, so he might not be completely incorrect. We passed on two top QBs instate and there's not the normal DL recruits this year. WR is deep and we're on some of them. OL is average instate. But we're looking out of state pretty hard for skill guys.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Well, we're recruiting TX harder than MS, so he might not be completely incorrect. We passed on two top QBs instate and there's not the normal DL recruits this year. WR is deep and we're on some of them. OL is average instate. But we're looking out of state pretty hard for skill guys.
    Yep the funny thing is OM is doing the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Avelso View Post
    Please let Bartoo go on Finebaum and let actual numbers speak for themselves instead of opinions. I prefer the numbers game all day long.
    Bartoo had Moorhead as a + coach up until like the very end. Leach's record is outstanding... he doesn't need bartoo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    QB is something that I trust Leach on more than anything. He already has 1 MS QB he wanted in Rodgers. So if he felt like the in-state guys weren't a fit, and we end up landing Robertson instead I understand it (and that's the way it looks right now).
    With DL weaker this year we have to look elsewhere, and OL was something that we bashed others about not going OOS on when there were holes. So, we can't have it both ways. I think Leach is going to recruit just fine in MS, but isn't going to not look OOS when there is the need.

This just came out yesterday (I follow VSU since my youngest is there) and I think is Leach taking advantage of connections in areas that have similar players to MS to fill holes. South GA can be a gold mine

"After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Say what you want but ole miss gets all the props in magazine, ESPN, SEC and that A hole because ole miss pays for it. I truly believe they pay reporters and commentators under the table. They all can't be so stupid to say that crap and believe.

vCash
    Yep. Even when one school is doing better than the other on the field. There might be a singular year here or there where one state dominates the Top 10 recruits in MS over the other, but over any span of years we each get some of the best MS players.

vCash
    Someone tell me why owning MS is a good thing? We have owned MS pretty consistently over the past 5-6 years and while it's gotten us some solid players, it's never provided us with a recipe for winning big and winning consistently. It's provided us with cyclical success at best.

Sure coaching change had some to do with that but we will always have that. I think expanding our base and getting out of the state of MS would help us in the long run. We need to start replacing the 25th kid in MS with the 30th or 40th kid from TX. The state of Texas had 51 4 stars this year, so why not go grab some of those kids instead of these lower rated 3 star in state projects?

Compete for the big time kids in MS. Top 15 or so. Then go out and get kids from other states if you can that are higher rated. No one is successful in college football dominating a state the size of MS. They get talent from other states. We should do the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Someone tell me why owning MS is a good thing? We have owned MS pretty consistently over the past 5-6 years and while it's gotten us some solid players, it's never provided us with a recipe for winning big and winning consistently. It's provided us with cyclical success at best.

Sure coaching change had some to do with that but we will always have that. I think expanding our base and getting out of the state of MS would help us in the long run. We need to start replacing the 25th kid in MS with the 30th or 40th kid from TX. The state of Texas had 51 4 stars this year, so why not go grab some of those kids instead of these lower rated 3 star in state projects?

Compete for the big time kids in MS. Top 15 or so. Then go out and get kids from other states if you can that are higher rated. No one is successful in college football dominating a state the size of MS. They get talent from other states. We should do the same.
    We certainly must do better out of state but it's hard to see how MSU can be good without doing well in state.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    This is true. What is important is for the two schools to keep the top players in state by minimizing the kids that leavve and go to Bama and LSU etc.

vCash
    What shocks me is that Finebaum has been praising Leach for years and then as soon as he goes to State it suddenly like he sucks. And how does this Lane can recruit narrative keep following him everywhere. Can people not see it was O doing all the recruiting for him?

vCash
    It's incredible how nothing much more than Kiffin's internet meme status has somehow led to the almost completely unfounded belief that he's some kind of legendary coach and recruiter.

vCash
    This is typical media talk. It never plays out in the end. They just keep muttering it.

And what kind of idiot thinks this will be Leach's best season?? LMAO!!!!!! Complete opposite take than everywhere he has ever been.

vCash
    The bald headed Shi* for brains couldn't spell Mississippi if you spotted him a M, 4 Ss, 4 Is and 2 Ps.

vCash
    17 that wing nut looking SOB.