Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finebaum saying Kiffin going to take over the State of MS in recruiting....

vCash
    Y?all give Finebaum waaayyy too much credit. He doesn?t follow recruiting at all. He?s even said as much on his show. Oftentimes (if not most of the time) his ?sources? are media relations folks at schools...that kinda statement, 100%, comes directly from the om media relations department.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    He just knows the Network will be back in full force before we know it. Lane will let them play their game but instead of swimming in it like Freeze did, he'll keep his distance and jump ship if the NCAA comes lurking again. I just hope we've got our eyes and ears wide open and put it out in the open like we did last time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    He just knows the Network will be back in full force before we know it. Lane will let them play their game but instead of swimming in it like Freeze did, he'll keep his distance and jump ship if the NCAA comes lurking again. I just hope we've got our eyes and ears wide open and put it out in the open like we did last time.
    I can guarantee you that Leach will not stay silent about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    QB is something that I trust Leach on more than anything. He already has 1 MS QB he wanted in Rodgers. So if he felt like the in-state guys weren't a fit, and we end up landing Robertson instead I understand it (and that's the way it looks right now).
    With DL weaker this year we have to look elsewhere, and OL was something that we bashed others about not going OOS on when there were holes. So, we can't have it both ways. I think Leach is going to recruit just fine in MS, but isn't going to not look OOS when there is the need.

This just came out yesterday (I follow VSU since my youngest is there) and I think is Leach taking advantage of connections in areas that have similar players to MS to fill holes. South GA can be a gold mine

Most people forget that he and Mumme built their offense at VSU into an instant success when everyone thought that it couldn't be done in this part of the country.

vCash
    UM has always been far ahead of us on manipulating the media. They craft the image of being a "party school," "best tailgating in college football" and "redshirting Ms. Amerias." Also, our most well-known media figure is rosebowl, he's a great guy but his image of tats and dreads on a white boy doesn't endear a lot people outside the MSU fanbase.

Additionally, a few years back UM invited F'baum to speak at graduation, that kind of stuff goes a long way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    We may have put it out in the open, but it was UGA, Bama and Michigan that got the NCAA interested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    UM has always been far ahead of us on manipulating the media. They craft the image of being a "party school," "best tailgating in college football" and "redshirting Ms. Amerias." Also, our most well-known media figure is rosebowl, he's a great guy but his image of tats and dreads on a white boy doesn't endear a lot people outside the MSU fanbase.
    Our most well known media member is Brandon Walker, and whoever is #2 isn't close. Nobody outside of Mississippi knows who Rose Bowl is. Your point about UM being ahead of us in media manipulation is on point, though. It makes sense, too, given they're supposed to have a great communications department.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    meh. I bet Leach don't give two shits. Even if they do get 70% and we get 30%, that's not a bad thing. The key to our success is not getting all of MS players. Our best bet is to attack Texas(which we are), Louisiana, Alabama and Florida. Most 3 star players in Texas would be 4 star players here.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordrjones View Post
    Our most well known media member is Brandon Walker, and whoever is #2 isn't close. Nobody outside of Mississippi knows who Rose Bowl is. Your point about UM being ahead of us in media manipulation is on point, though. It makes sense, too, given they're supposed to have a great communications department.
    You're right, Brandon's rocketship to fame has been impressive. He promotes the brand as much as any alumn of any university. We are lucky to have him.

vCash
    I have not doubt that UM has had stories written about how great Oxford, the Grove, etc., is and gotten them published in magazines and websites (which are hungry for cheap, mindless content).

vCash
    We need to start replacing the 25th kid in MS with the 30th or 40th kid from TX. The state of Texas had 51 4 stars this year, so why not go grab some of those kids instead of these lower rated 3 star in state projects?

Well in many cases those kids in Texas are overrated....I lived in Texas 40 years and have watched HS football and the word that comes to mind when I watch HS and to some extent College football in Texas is that the players are SOFT.. that's the reason Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU etc...just can't compete on the national stage.

vCash
    The thing about Mississippi is we have a lot of players that are underrated. I've never bought the line about a three star guy in Florida being equivalent to a four star guy in Mississippi. IMO I'd much rather take an in state three star guy who grew up watching MSU and playing here means something to them over a three star from Florida who wanted to play at UF or FSU.

If it were me I'd shoot for as many of the top 15 players I could in Mississippi and then try to find about 3-5 diamonds in the rough freak athletes from Mississippi and try to develop them. The JUCO system kind of complicates things for us as far as numbers because there is talent there as well. Fill out the rest with OOS players wherever the holes in the class are.

Anyway, I think we should mostly continue our current recruiting model by focusing on Mississippi since it has basically produced the best 10 year run in MSU modern football history and most of our best teams- 1980, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2014 were all built with mostly Mississippi players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    What shocks me is that Finebaum has been praising Leach for years and then as soon as he goes to State it suddenly like he sucks. And how does this Lane can recruit narrative keep following him everywhere. Can people not see it was O doing all the recruiting for him?
    Dik with ears has always hated MSU, I'm talking back to his radio only days, he was way worse then.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Paul “Howard Stern” Finebaum just stirs the pot to help his ratings. He is not a knowledgable sports authority. He is a cheap shock jock. Always has been and always will be. He is an embarrassment to the SEC Network but I guess he has sufficient ratings (thanks to Alabama fans) so they keep him on board. I have friends from many other SEC programs and none of them watch him. It will be interesting to see how Leach handles him in interviews. Leach seems to have very little patience with the type of pseudo-sports journalist that Finebaum represents.

vCash
    Finebaum is no recruiting expert by any stretch. He's going off Kiffen's joke of a resume and the assumption he can out recruit ML. That analysis is about as deep as an empty tea cup.

vCash
    Leach and company are gonna have to jump on the recruiting train big time to keep us in the game when it comes to getting elite MS kids. I think it's very critical that we go all in on defensive players, especially. Defense will determine whether or not Leach is successful in the SEC west.

Paul Finebalm is an MSU hating dickhead, but he could coincidentally have a point here. It all remains to be seen.

vCash
    I’m glad to get Paul reports on here ... since I never watch that POS and joke of a show... it’s an embarrassment to the sec they give that clown as much stroke as he has...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Leach and company are gonna have to jump on the recruiting train big time to keep us in the game when it comes to getting elite MS kids. I think it's very critical that we go all in on defensive players, especially. Defense will determine whether or not Leach is successful in the SEC west.

Paul Finebalm is an MSU hating dickhead, but he could coincidentally have a point here. It all remains to be seen.
    Leach has also never been at a school that could sell their tradition of putting not only guys in the NFL but has a collection of Pro Bowlers like MSU has currently. MSU can sell Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Darius Slay, B-Mac, plus our trio of 1st rd guys last year. Those are major selling points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Y?all give Finebaum waaayyy too much credit. He doesn?t follow recruiting at all. He?s even said as much on his show. Oftentimes (if not most of the time) his ?sources? are media relations folks at schools...that kinda statement, 100%, comes directly from the om media relations department.
    I'm not giving F'baum any credit but I do think he represents an opinion that a lot of casual sports fans would have. He has only surface knowledge of most everything he speaks on but that's what the majority of sports fan have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I'm not giving F'baum any credit but I do think he represents an opinion that a lot of casual sports fans would have. He has only surface knowledge of most everything he speaks on but that's what the majority of sports fan have.
    Of course the "casual" sports fan is why ESPN is still alive. They put people on TV that say things that are so outrageously stupid that even the idiot who works the night shift at Taco Bell knows it's wrong and it makes them feel "knowledgeable" about sports.

The good news for us is those "casual sports fan" people are typically wrong about us. Including the ESPN mouthpieces.