Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coach Schaefer

vCash
    Swap rosters and SC would would lose by 50 or 60

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We need a point guard that can knock down 3's. That opens literally everything else up. Teams know M. Taylor and Danberry aren't going to pull up, so they play off of them and clog the lane.

However, the future is extremely bright. The next 2-3 years are setting up to be a hell of a run, and we're going to be very deep.

Next year:

PG: Mingo-Young (So), Taylor (Jr)
    SG: Matharu (So), Madison Hayes (Fr), AEH (Sr)
    SF: Jackson (So), Wiggins (Jr)
    PF: Sidney Cooks (Jr), Carter (Jr), Bibby (Sr), Gatson (Fr)
    C: Morris (Sr), Cooks (Jr)

Sidney Cooks is very, very talented. Also, she's possibly the best perimeter shooter on the team, and has very crafty, quick post moves. Appears technically sound, runs the court well. I saw her play in the 2017 Jordan Brand Classic, and she was easily one of top performers in that game. Appears a very good shot blocker as well. Smart player.

WNBA talent with Cooks skillset, just needs to continue to develop over these next 2 seasons at Miss. State. Wouldn't be surprised if Coach Johnnie Harris establishes a pipeline with her frontcourt players towards the pro leagues. Sent Teaira McCowan (1st round, 3rd pick WNBA) last year. Also, Anriel Howard went in the second round (24th pick) of the WNBA Draft last year.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 03-09-2020 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    Unless we get an unreal transfer in the post I don?t see how he doesn?t start J Carter. In recent interviews he has talked about S Cooks as the post and J Carter as the four. I could see him playing them interchangeably similar to how he does now with R Jackson and C Bibby at the forward spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindog View Post
    Unless we get an unreal transfer in the post I don?t see how he doesn?t start J Carter. In recent interviews he has talked about S Cooks as the post and J Carter as the four. I could see him playing them interchangeably similar to how he does now with R Jackson and C Bibby at the forward spots.
    Yemiyah Morris is getting better and better. She had 3 blocked shots, and helped hold South Carolina's A. Boston to 4 points yesterday. Also, Morris blocked LSU's talented 6-5 center's (Aifuwa) shot 2 times in the SEC Tourney. Helped hold her to 10 points in that game. Cooks can handle that 5 spot as well

Coach Schaefer has tended to favor utilizing the true post players in his lineups. Also, he indicated at a recent interview that Yemiyah Morris is continuing to work with Coach Harris, and needs her to keep getting better. Talked about her as a possibility at center, especially for next season. Spoke about Sidney Cooks as a possibility as well. Talked about how talented a player Sidney Cooks was, and her being a possibility at both the 5 and the 4 spots, possibly switching with Carter if need be.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 03-10-2020 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    This just confirms that you are very ill informed.

He played for two national championships without one McDonald?s all-American on the roster, and the vast majority of those players weren?t even 4 or 5 stars. Really just Vivians and McCowan, and T was incredibly raw when she got here.

He didn?t start recruiting at an elite level until he had already won a bunch. Dillingham, Richardson, Okorie, Chapel, William, his own daughter... the backbone of his program was built on under the radar players who weren?t the most skilled nor had the most size in some cases, but they were tough as nails and all had important roles.
    I know that we have had 3 players drafted the last 2 seasons
    I know that in 2018 and 2019 we had arguably the best player in college basketball on our team
    In 2020 we most likely have a Freshman AA on the roster.

We recruit elite talent and have for awhile now. We have been one of the most talented teams in the country for the last 4 years. This year's team is young and is experiencing growing pains- but is still a top 10 roster. Next year's team will be top 5 most talented in the country. Vic is an elite recruiter
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree with most of this. Hard to believe but Vic has learned some things on the fly too but where he started is so much higher than anyone else. Vic worked the girls too hard before the first NC game and we had no legs but he learned from that. He is slowly learning a little about how the zone can help him win just not enough yet. I like his guts on benching players who will not play D or play hard. His move in NCAAT several years ago benching the starting 5 was as gutsy a move as ever made and it worked and got us to NC game later that year. It got players attention which is hard to do sometimes.

If I had to list 3 I'd like to see change it would be - play some strategic zone and even some press (boy we have the guards to do it). Run some better O sets instead of dribble weave all the time. Player choices at times.

Still love Vic and he has done one of best jobs in NCAA WBB history.
    I personally don't understand why Schaefer and to an even higher degree, Howland, refuse to use a zone defense. Every team should be able to pull it out and use it effectively from time to time. For some opponents its absolutely the best defense to play against them and for any opponent it always helps to change things up a trip or two down the floor where they have to adjust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I know that we have had 3 players drafted the last 2 seasons
    I know that in 2018 and 2019 we had arguably the best player in college basketball on our team
    In 2020 we most likely have a Freshman AA on the roster.

We recruit elite talent and have for awhile now. We have been one of the most talented teams in the country for the last 4 years. This year's team is young and is experiencing growing pains- but is still a top 10 roster. Next year's team will be top 5 most talented in the country. Vic is an elite recruiter
    I agree that he is recruiting at an elite level now, but that?s only been the case the last couple of years. The 2016 and 2017 teams did not have elite talent and got to a Sweet 16 and Final Four.

Vivians was an elite talent but she was a highly inefficient scorer her first three years here. McCowan had elite size but her skill set was totally developed here. Howard was a one year plug and play though I guess she does technically count as an elite recruit.

Vic won, and then the talent came. He did have one or two big recruits that sped up the process, but only now is he at the point where he is consistently getting a bunch of four and five stars. The Stansbury comparison is silly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I personally don't understand why Schaefer and to an even higher degree, Howland, refuse to use a zone defense. Every team should be able to pull it out and use it effectively from time to time. For some opponents its absolutely the best defense to play against them and for any opponent it always helps to change things up a trip or two down the floor where they have to adjust.
    Vic thinks the zone is lazy, and to be fair, he has in fact used it several times the last two years. Aside from playing SC, our biggest issue this year has been defending the three ball, which a zone isn?t really designed for.

vCash
    The lineup he starts is killing us. He's got to stop playing Jordan and Myah together. It's too easy to scheme for us and shut us down with his staring lineup. Chloe does not need to start. She is slow and can't score. Danberry needs to start at PG, and Matharu at the 2. Myah can come in for some spells to relieve Jordan. Wiggins should start over Chloe.