Thread: Coach Schaefer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Vic is a disciplinarian
    Vic coaches great M2M defense
    Vic is an elite recruiter thanks to our guys in the Delta

Vic is average on offense
    Vic gets too hardheaded
    Vic needs to stop being so damn stubborn and run some zone. Its still very effective in girls basketball
    Vic is old school and leans on older players before talented Freshmen
    Bibby is too slow to guard me- let alone anybody but a 4 or 5 in women's college basketball
    Agree with most of this. Hard to believe but Vic has learned some things on the fly too but where he started is so much higher than anyone else. Vic worked the girls too hard before the first NC game and we had no legs but he learned from that. He is slowly learning a little about how the zone can help him win just not enough yet. I like his guts on benching players who will not play D or play hard. His move in NCAAT several years ago benching the starting 5 was as gutsy a move as ever made and it worked and got us to NC game later that year. It got players attention which is hard to do sometimes.

If I had to list 3 I'd like to see change it would be - play some strategic zone and even some press (boy we have the guards to do it). Run some better O sets instead of dribble weave all the time. Player choices at times.

Still love Vic and he has done one of best jobs in NCAA WBB history.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Yeah, took over a doormat program and has played for two national titles and has the best program on campus. Easy to see where you guys are coming from*** hope he reads so you goons can help solve his problems.
    And every single person on this board knows our shortcomings.

1. Our offense is dribble drive. If they run zone and keep us from curling down the paint and hitting the layup coming in from the elbow, our pts per game goes way down.

2. We have not shown an adjustments to use the dribble drive to get open 3 looks. 3 years ago we did it constantly. Option 1 was the layup, option 2 was the kick to blair or Bibby. We may simply not have the personnel to run that, but it doesnt seems too hard to implement. Once you make the curl to the basket, get close enough to our shooters defender or take a good step towards the basket and go ahead and bank it in, draw a foul, or get a simple backdoor cutter pass to get 2 easy.

For the record, vic is by far my favorite MSU coach. It just pains me to see the same thing beat us time and again (zone) and not try and answer. Same with us never running a half court zone.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Vic is a very good coach- but all of us have our weak spots
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Vic is a disciplinarian
    Vic coaches great M2M defense
    Vic is an elite recruiter thanks to our guys in the Delta

Vic is average on offense
    Vic gets too hardheaded
    Vic needs to stop being so damn stubborn and run some zone. Its still very effective in girls basketball
    Vic is old school and leans on older players before talented Freshmen
    Bibby is too slow to guard me- let alone anybody but a 4 or 5 in women's college basketball
    I won?t point out the specific comment but surely you aren?t meaning what you posted.

vCash
    Bottom line- Schaefer is Stands but he is a little better coach with more discipline. Which is what it takes in college basketball
    Hahahaha whew. Stick to football.

And FWIW. I agree w most of the first post you made. But this is nuts.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Coach34;1236666]Vic is a very good coach- but all of us have our weak spots[/QUOTE]

Except you, of course....
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    C34 has some good points but his biggest weakness is he is hard headed and a know it all. We can all pick apart every coach in some aspect but to compare Vic and Stans as similar is beyond moronic. Stick to selling coffee.

vCash
    I have to laugh at things said about Vic. I would hate to be the next Coach following the Legend he has become at Msu.

Nothing wrong with winning with his style, not sure we will have another basketball Coach or any Coach with a better winning % or success than Vic. We need more "hardheaded" Coaches like Vic.

Being butt hurt over the loss to probably the best team in the Ncaa has caused the negative internet Coaches to emerge once again. It's only a message board***

vCash
    Vic has been willing to make adjustment and we have had major success because of it. He has been a little resistant to change his strategy when it isn't working, but you can't argue with his overall success.

I'm a big Bibby fan, but she isn't half the player she was before the injury. I really hope she gets her game back. Having had ACL surgery myself, it is no small feat. I never got back to playing speed.

USCe is the number one team in the nation for a reason. With the level they were playing at yesterday, no one in the country could have beat them.
    "until the next time you beat a frat guy unconscious, get stoned and think you're Peter Pan"

vCash
    Bottom line- Schaefer is Stands but he is a little better coach with more discipline. Which is what it takes in college basketball
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Those are fighting words. Don't talk about Bibby. She is the message board favorite.
    YEAAHHH

vCash
    Vic isn't perfect and it's ok to talk about his imperfections. I don't think anyone is saying that they're ready to replace him or anything. I know I'm not looking forward to replacing him when the time does come. Offensively, the dribble drive weave we do works best vs man defenses, especially against lesser talented/slower teams. It doesn't work well against zones. The key for an offense in basketball is to get the defense moving and out of position. When we just run handoffs at the top of the key over and over, the defense doesn't have to move much. For some reason our guards, especially PG's don't look to shoot. They'll drive if they've got a lane but they rarely shoot the ball. They'll even pass it off when they're wide open for a shot. I think if we want to take the next step offensively, we need to have our 1's and 2's become a threat shooting the ball. Defenders will often back off our PG and restrict passing/driving lanes because they know our guards won't shoot beyond the elbow. Defensively, we struggle with help on backside cuts and get lost too much. One of the biggest issues I've had for years with our defense is that we allow our big girls to move all the way up to the 3 point line or further. Good teams have figured this out and take advantage of it. I hated seeing McCowan on defense all the way up at the 3 point line. Fortunately for us she was a freak of nature and made some amazing plays, but it's still not smart defense as you typically either give up easy buckets or foul. Why we let our rim protectors play 20+ feet away from the basket is a head scratcher. Defense is a lot about toughness and Vic is great at coaching that, I'm just not sure he's much on the x's and o's, which is ok to some extent because toughness can take you a long way in this game. All that can be easily fixed though, my complaint with Vic would be that he lets things get out of hand too often before making an adjustment.

vCash
    It just cracks me up that people think they are seeing things that a guy who has been National COY and played for two national titles can't see. There are obviously reasons he does what he does. No one's perfect, so obviously he doesn't make every decision perfectly. But pointing out something pretty obvious as though Schaefer himself can't see it or hasn't considered it seems asinine.

vCash
    This is one of the dumbest things ever posted on this board, and that is saying something. Stans can?t hold Vic?s jock strap. Vic has quadruple the amount of NCAA tourney wins as Stans had, and that gap is only going to grow the next few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    This is one of the dumbest things ever posted on this board, and that is saying something. Stans can?t hold Vic?s jock strap. Vic has quadruple the amount of NCAA tourney wins as Stans had, and that gap is only going to grow the next few years.
    He said it to get a reaction.

From Coach34, it's who he is. Accept it or not. While some of his posts rub me the wrong way, that's on me. He isnt imitating someone.

Now, there are a few on this board that havent had an original thought since it's inception. They spam the board and say things ONLY to get a reaction and couldnt defend those statements on their merits.

Stansbury didnt coach much else but rebounding. He was and is an elite recruiter. Vic is a program coach. That is to say those kids know what is expected of them from the time their head comes off the pillow until it gets back on it. The two coaches arent really comparable. Stans put the talent out there and let it ride like a gambler. Vic will pull a kid off the court for not completing an assignment even if we have a 25 point lead.

vCash
    My thing about this team, look who beat us, top 20 teams with 3 losses to Cocks and Ducks! Ky loss but they are a top 20 team, 4 losses on the road, only bad loss was to Bama at home.

We have one senior, we will be better next year, will it be enough to beat S Carolina, iffy but a better chance at home. Great season for a rebuilding year.

Nothing wrong the way Vic coaches, it's just his style, he is good enough that I bet he adjust. He is one smart Coach, it ain't easy what he is doing. Now back to baseball......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Vic's recruiting is elite. We have been one of 10 most talented teams in the country for the last 4-5 years now. Of course he will have more Tourney wins.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Vic's recruiting is elite. We have been one of 10 most talented teams in the country for the last 4-5 years now. Of course he will have more Tourney wins.
    Please.

vCash
    This just confirms that you are very ill informed.

He played for two national championships without one McDonald?s all-American on the roster, and the vast majority of those players weren?t even 4 or 5 stars. Really just Vivians and McCowan, and T was incredibly raw when she got here.

He didn?t start recruiting at an elite level until he had already won a bunch. Dillingham, Richardson, Okorie, Chapel, William, his own daughter... the backbone of his program was built on under the radar players who weren?t the most skilled nor had the most size in some cases, but they were tough as nails and all had important roles.

vCash
    We need a point guard that can knock down 3's. That opens literally everything else up. Teams know M. Taylor and Danberry aren't going to pull up, so they play off of them and clog the lane.

However, the future is extremely bright. The next 2-3 years are setting up to be a hell of a run, and we're going to be very deep.

Next year:

PG: Mingo-Young (So), Taylor (Jr)
    SG: Matharu (So), Madison Hayes (Fr), AEH (Sr)
    SF: Jackson (So), Wiggins (Jr)
    PF: Sidney Cooks (Jr), Carter (Jr), Bibby (Sr), Gatson (Fr)
    C: Morris (Sr), Cooks (Jr)