Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach Schaefer

vCash

Coach Schaefer

First of all, Coach Schaefer is an outstanding head coach, and has a very good staff. Also, he knows the game as well as most around the women's game. I am not a coach, but have disagreed all season with his starting lineup.

(Note) Aliyah Matharu 17 pts, 4 rbs, 50% fg, 3-8 from 3 pt range (18 minutes). Again, I would play her at the start of games, especially to help the team avoid slower offensive starts to games in the upcoming NCAA Tourney. Get your better scorers on the floor at the same time, including at the start of games. This, even if the team has to go with a 4 out 1 in look....4 guards (good rebounders), mix in some zone, ect. Also, Yemiyah Morris is an option...with Carter and Bibby at the 4 . With Matharu on her game, and playing early on...better help for this team making an NCAA Tourney run.

Chloe Bibby....0 points (2 pts in SEC Tourney)
    Myah Taylor...0 points
    Also, Bibby...0 points in the semifinals, and 2 points in the quarterfinals. Last 3 games...scored 2 points total.
    (Not that I am singling these 2 out for blame or ridicule, but just to point out that it doesn't appear to be a good recipe for getting overly far in the NCAA Tourney...but always possible)
    Last edited by jdelta02; 03-09-2020 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    DILLY DILLY !!!

vCash
    As much as I like them both, Bibby and Myah arent starters. We have more talent on the bench that should be playing more. Myah is a steady PG but she doesn't bring much offensively and seems afraid to even attempt to shoot a 3. Bibby hasnt really played well at all this year, I'm not sure if it's the knee or what

vCash
    It's really a shame that Vic doesn't consult message boards in order to become a much better coach. He obviously doesn't know how to pick the correct starters.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    It's really a shame that Vic doesn't consult message boards in order to become a much better coach. He obviously doesn't know how to pick the correct starters.
    He is awesome, but from the outside it looks like he is missing on a few things.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Santa Barbara not a bad place to stick it out going forward..or somewhere like that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    He is awesome, but from the outside it looks like he is missing on a few things.
    Yeah, took over a doormat program and has played for two national titles and has the best program on campus. Easy to see where you guys are coming from*** hope he reads so you goons can help solve his problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Yeah, took over a doormat program and has played for two national titles and has the best program on campus. Easy to see where you guys are coming from*** hope he reads so you goons can help solve his problems.
    People posting opinions. Sometimes opinions don't agree. Also, sometimes, even oftentimes people don't agree with something regarding a particular coach, strategy, president, leader, ect..and they voice opinions. Different perspectives, ect. Are they goons?

Me for example, I'm behind Coach Schaefer all the way, doesn't mean I always agree with his descisions and strategies. Agree with him on most though. Still we are on the same team. At the end of the day, he's the head coach, and decision maker... we're all on the same team, and are to stick together, regardless if we disagree.

Remember, we're all on the same team. We may not always agree, but never the less...on the same team..... basically sports conversations.

Last edited by jdelta02; 03-08-2020 at 06:43 PM.

vCash
    Agree on personnel decisions. Love Bibby and Taylor but their minutes must be used wisely and not too much. Giving up too much. Taylor can really be good but in mismatches it is a problem against big teams. She can't shoot outside and can't drive, what else is left?

Also his game plan around the zone on certain teams will have to change if he wants to win more big games. USC struggled against us when we ran zone on them last time. It is to our advantage with our small lineup compared to them. One on one plays right into their strength and our weakness.

Yes I know Vic is coach and it is his decisions and he knows more about his teams, who should play etc. but from a talent usage standpoint seems like some easy adjustments. Vic has made some shifts during the year much the right way, just seems like there are a few more needed.

I still think Hunter should get more minutes. She plays hard, gives us a weapon we desperately need on the outside. She brings some energy to the floor.

Again Vic best coach on campus by a mile, just some little things I wish we would adjust.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    I personally think we need a new strength and conditioning coach. It's obvious our physicality isn't where it should be.

I'm also tired of not running a proper offense and playing street ball. Vic need to hire an X's and O's coach to help with the offense immediately.

Also, why can't we run a zone??? The game seems to be passing him by.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    People posting opinions. Sometimes opinions don't agree. Also, sometimes, even oftentimes people don't agree with something regarding a particular coach, strategy, president, leader, ect..and they voice opinions. Different perspectives, ect. Are they goons?

Me for example, I'm behind Coach Schaefer all the way, doesn't mean I always agree with his descisions and strategies. Agree with him on most though. Still we are on the same team. At the end of the day, he's the head coach, and decision maker... we're all on the same team, and are to stick together, regardless if we disagree.

Remember, we're all on the same team. We may not always agree, but never the less...on the same team..... basically sports conversations.

In this case yes. Goons. When you say he's missing some things, then yeah. Nobody on this board is at practice etc.

vCash
    I think Bibby and Taylor both do things well that aren’t necessarily noticed on the surface at times, and when we struggle they get pointed out as weak links because of that. Not saying they are perfect, and we have certainly had success at times without them in the game. But I think they definitely have important roles. Myah had a great game on Friday and had an 11-2 assist to turnover ratio in our first two games, and Chloe brings a lot of toughness and hustle plays to the table. And hopefully next year the knee will be better and she can be back to more of her sophomore year self.

With this team you really have to take the rotations on a game by game basis. Different players seem to fare better against different kinds of teams.

vCash
    Agree. What Vic has been able to do with this program and putting it on the national stage is phenomenal. He has my utmost respect and appreciation. But as with anything in life there is always room for improvement. Even our best teams have had a tendency to crumble in big games (including the two National Championship games). Some of that can be attributed to players "choking", but realistically the game strategy & game management has to put players in a position to be successful. This is something that I think has been missing. We have talented enough players that we can make lineup changes and strategy adjustments as needed throughout games. Vic seems to stick with certain lineups and strategies come hell or high water and I don't think it's working.

I also worry that this way of doing business will turn off our good players who are sitting on the bench watching underperforming players get starting spots and stay in games even when we're getting blown out. I hope we don't get hit hard by transfers. I'm happy we're in the conversation of best programs in the country but I want us to stay there. Hopefully his coaching staff can come together and come up with a solution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    I personally think we need a new strength and conditioning coach. It's obvious our physicality isn't where it should be.

I'm also tired of not running a proper offense and playing street ball. Vic need to hire an X's and O's coach to help with the offense immediately.

Also, why can't we run a zone??? The game seems to be passing him by.
    What in the.

How are you this bad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    In this case yes. Goons. When you say he's missing some things, then yeah. Nobody on this board is at practice etc.
    I didn't say that he was missing anything. If another poster said that...still, not good to get a name calling thing going. Take the good road. Could possibly explain to them that you perceive it as offensive, ect.

vCash
    He does need an offensive coach. We can get away with our offense 90% of the time, but we struggle with very good teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    He does need an offensive coach. We can get away with our offense 90% of the time, but we struggle with very good teams.
    We are 11th nationally in scoring offense with limited three point shooting and a somewhat undersized front court. We also scored 79 against this same team in January.

Don?t think there?s any need to reinvent the wheel here.

vCash
    Vic is a disciplinarian
    Vic coaches great M2M defense
    Vic is an elite recruiter thanks to our guys in the Delta

Vic is average on offense
    Vic gets too hardheaded
    Vic needs to stop being so damn stubborn and run some zone. Its still very effective in girls basketball
    Vic is old school and leans on older players before talented Freshmen
    Bibby is too slow to guard me- let alone anybody but a 4 or 5 in women's college basketball
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Bottom line- Schaefer is Stands but he is a little better coach with more discipline. Which is what it takes in college basketball
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Vic is a disciplinarian

Bibby is too slow to guard me- let alone anybody but a 4 or 5 in women's college basketball
    Those are fighting words. Don't talk about Bibby. She is the message board favorite.