Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only way to tourney now is obviously longshot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think if we're 4-seed, and beat both Florida and Kentucky, we'd have a realistic shot. Unfortunately, I don't see us beating both of them
    Agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I always like your take on things, Basedog and I agree to a certain point but in Howlands tenure here we've pretty much run the same script every game. Same coach different players but we play exactly the same every year. It has to come down to coaching. Howland has been a good coach here, not a great one. Could we do better than him? I don't know but at some point you have to try something different. And you're right about fundamentals not being taught and that's in every sport.
    I agree, Howland has helped our program, will he get us to the next level, probably not. Only Coach in our history who was great, Babe. No other has come close. Can we do better, iffy but it's possible, odds are against that happening.
    Babe, then Joe Dan Gold, Kermit, Greene, Hatfield, Boyd, Williams, Stansbury, Ray, now Howland.

I do wish and hope we could find the "one".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Howland doesn't really have a plan on offense. So he can't really enforce certain behaviors like taking a long 2 early in the shot clock, because there is no script.

What has been surprising to me is our defense, or lack thereof. That Texas A&M game, wow!! And we just couldn't get the stops last night when Carter got hot.
    Defense is surprising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I agree, Howland has helped our program, will he get us to the next level, probably not. Only Coach in our history who was great, Babe. No other has come close. Can we do better, iffy but it's possible, odds are against that happening.
    Babe, then Joe Dan Gold, Kermit, Greene, Hatfield, Boyd, Williams, Stansbury, Ray, now Howland.

I do wish and hope we could find the "one".
    Ron Greene was the real deal. Had great assistants. Bob Tyler was the reason He left.

vCash
    We have had some good coaches. Bob Boyd and Richard Williams were damn good basketball coaches. But they werent recruiters. Stands was a recruiter- but there are Academy basketball coaches in Mississippi that are better than him in coaching actual basketball.

Howland recruits well- Howland doesnt demand excellence. Our constant moving screens calls is a perfect example. Good basketball coaches make sure we do a better job on those so we arent called for fouls time after time. We get popped on that 2-3 times every tip. Thats on the coaching. There are other examples- but that one is the most glaring of our lack of coaching
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Ron Greene was the real deal. Had great assistants. Bob Tyler was the reason He left.
    Yes to Ron Greene.

vCash
    If we end up in a 3 way tie, we don't get 4th. I think the 1st tie breaker is head to head vs #1 seed. Which is obviously UK. South Carolina beat them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    If we end up in a 3 way tie, we don't get 4th. I think the 1st tie breaker is head to head vs #1 seed. Which is obviously UK. South Carolina beat them.
    No it's not. It's combined winning percentage against the other two teams. If still tied, it's then win percentage against number 1 seed.

We win three way tie breaker with us fla and usce.

If usce loses and fla loses, We win tiebreaker with just us and fla.

If LSU beats uga and auburn loses at ten, and fla loses to ky, we need usce to lose at vandy and is to beat OM to be in a three way tie for third with aub and fla. aub would be the three and us the four.
    Last edited by confucius say; 03-04-2020 at 09:20 PM.

vCash
    Well, I thought that as well knowing we were in good shape with the 3 way tie but then i heard Richard Williams and Neil Price say so before the game yesterday that it would go to South Carolina due to their win over UK. I believe ya tho.
    Last edited by klong-dog; 03-04-2020 at 10:33 PM.

vCash
    Sec basketball tourney tie breakers

https://www.secsports.com/article/11...nt-tiebreakers

vCash
    I can?t believe anyone is still worrying about whether we will make the tournament or not. I sailed on that ship weeks ago.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    I?m still believing. Still have games to play. Ain?t no team we can?t beat in the SEC tournament. Backs against the wall, let?s go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    Well, I thought that as well knowing we were in good shape with the 3 way tie but then i heard Richard Williams and Neil Price say so before the game yesterday that it would go to South Carolina due to their win over UK. I believe ya tho.
    Yea I heard that to. Neil must have been thinking only about a two way tie between us and usce. They would win that because of their win over KY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Yea I heard that to. Neil must have been thinking only about a two way tie between us and usce. They would win that because of their win over KY
    There's a good chance we end up as the 6 seed. If Fla knocks off Ky and USC wins then we'll be the 6 (if we win our game that is).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    There's a good chance we end up as the 6 seed. If Fla knocks off Ky and USC wins then we'll be the 6 (if we win our game that is).
    I think there is a better chance that ky beats fla. if that happens and we win, we are the 4 even if usce wins as long as auburn wins.

Bottom line, we need to win, have fla lose to KY, and then either USCe lose OR auburn win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I think there is a better chance that ky beats fla. if that happens and we win, we are the 4 even if usce wins as long as auburn wins.

Bottom line, we need to win, have fla lose to KY, and then either USCe lose OR auburn win.
    Auburn and Kentucky road games will be tough though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Auburn and Kentucky road games will be tough though
    For sure. So will usce road game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We have had some good coaches. Bob Boyd and Richard Williams were damn good basketball coaches. But they werent recruiters. Stands was a recruiter- but there are Academy basketball coaches in Mississippi that are better than him in coaching actual basketball.

Howland recruits well- Howland doesnt demand excellence. Our constant moving screens calls is a perfect example. Good basketball coaches make sure we do a better job on those so we arent called for fouls time after time. We get popped on that 2-3 times every tip. Thats on the coaching. There are other examples- but that one is the most glaring of our lack of coaching
    Richard had some good ASST Coaches--Stans recruited and John Brady Coached. It seems we have gotten better on the illegal screens--I think our guards are waiting for the pick-whereas before they were going before it was set.