Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only way to tourney now is obviously longshot

vCash

Only way to tourney now is obviously longshot

If we beat OM and Kentucky or Georgia beats Florida, we're the 4-seed, correct? If so, we'd have to win the sec tourney by winning 3 games. I'm certainly not calling it, but maybe we get lucky with someone knocking Kentucky and auburn out.

Banned
    vCash
    We play 7 players. It's highly doubtful we win 3 or 4 days in a row on that alone regardless of opponent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we beat OM and Kentucky or Georgia beats Florida, we're the 4-seed, correct? If so, we'd have to win the sec tourney by winning 3 games. I'm certainly not calling it, but maybe we get lucky with someone knocking Kentucky and auburn out.
    Assuming usce beats vandy, we need to win sat and have fla lose exactly one game this week. Not both. We win a three way tie with us fla and usce, but lose a tiebreaker with usce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    We play 7 players. It's highly doubtful we win 3 or 4 days in a row on that alone regardless of opponent.
    It's like like than a 10% chance we win 3 in 3 days. It's zero chance we win 4 in 4 days. 4-seed is vital for this dream the size of One World Trade

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Depending on who we play and possibly beat in the sec tourney could have some bearing.....who am i kidding. We 17ed ourselves in the LSU, New Mexico State, OK, UM, and most aTm games.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I just have a hard time getting my hopes up with this program. Literally every time people start to buy back in, we revert back to losing. It has been two steps forward, two steps backward ever since the night Howland lost to a SWAC team in Malik Newman’s debut.

vCash
    Yeah, we ain't making the tourney, nor do we deserve to.

vCash
    The only way we get in is to win the SEC Tourney. That ain't happening. We haven't been a NCAA tourney team at any point this year.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    We have been a tourney team this year. Before we tipped off the first game. Since then, they just are not a great team. We didn't get over the hump.
    Like in years past, we spent way too much time this year playing without urgency. From memory, we were playing from a significant points down in the first half of pretty much every game this season outside of our stretch where we played GA and MO early in the SEC schedule. Other than that, we just did not know where the gas pedal was. We let off of it too many times. Hence the 20pt hole we found ourselves in against at least half our SEC competition. Case in point, last night.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    We have been a tourney team this year. Before we tipped off the first game. Since then, they just are not a great team. We didn't get over the hump.
    Like in years past, we spent way too much time this year playing without urgency. From memory, we were playing from a significant points down in the first half of pretty much every game this season outside of our stretch where we played GA and MO early in the SEC schedule. Other than that, we just did not know where the gas pedal was. We let off of it too many times. Hence the 20pt hole we found ourselves in against at least half our SEC competition. Case in point, last night.
    This is it in a nutshell. Those 5-7 minutes every game where we just lose focus and can't score and turn the ball over repeatedly kill us. Same script every game.

vCash
    Our net only dropped one spot.

Win the next 3 over OM, fla on fri, and ky on sat and were looking at a mid to upper 40s net. Prob be squarely on bubble again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Our net only dropped one spot.

Win the next 3 over OM, fla on fri, and ky on sat and were looking at a mid to upper 40s net. Prob be squarely on bubble again
    Really need that 4-seed to have a realistic shot

vCash
    Agree if winning the SECT is our only shot which it likely is. If right teams win or lose around the nation, maybe just making the finals could sneak us in? We can't win 4 in a row; 3 may be a stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is it in a nutshell. Those 5-7 minutes every game where we just lose focus and can't score and turn the ball over repeatedly kill us. Same script every game.
    I understand your post, I also agree but I just think it's players who have to make plays. Our guys have talent but they as a whole aren't much on fundamentals, is it coaching or just players, it's a little of both. It's pretty obvious to me in sports today, fundamentals isn't being "practice" enough.

As far as us not making Ncaa tournament, doesn't surprise me, what surprise me is when we do make it! 11 times total, yes we could make it a little more but never consistent, it is what it is, it's just a fact. Can we or will we do better than Howland, maybe but probably not so much. Just my opinion so take it for what it worth.

vCash
    Odds are we get it if we beat OM. We hold tiebreaker over fla and win a three way tie between us, fla, and usce.

Would need a usce loss plus a fla loss OR usce wins and fla splits this week vs Georgia and ky.

Just avoid a situation where usce wins and Florida loses twice this week, bc that would put us in a tie only with usce and we lose that tiebreaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I understand your post, I also agree but I just think it's players who have to make plays. Our guys have talent but they as a whole aren't much on fundamentals, is it coaching or just players, it's a little of both. It's pretty obvious to me in sports today, fundamentals isn't being "practice" enough.

As far as us not making Ncaa tournament, doesn't surprise me, what surprise me is when we do make it! 11 times total, yes we could make it a little more but never consistent, it is what it is, it's just a fact. Can we or will we do better than Howland, maybe but probably not so much. Just my opinion so take it for what it worth.
    I always like your take on things, Basedog and I agree to a certain point but in Howlands tenure here we've pretty much run the same script every game. Same coach different players but we play exactly the same every year. It has to come down to coaching. Howland has been a good coach here, not a great one. Could we do better than him? I don't know but at some point you have to try something different. And you're right about fundamentals not being taught and that's in every sport.

vCash
    It's pretty simple for us, win it all or NIT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It's pretty simple for us, win it all or NIT.
    I think if we're 4-seed, and beat both Florida and Kentucky, we'd have a realistic shot. Unfortunately, I don't see us beating both of them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I always like your take on things, Basedog and I agree to a certain point but in Howlands tenure here we've pretty much run the same script every game. Same coach different players but we play exactly the same every year. It has to come down to coaching. Howland has been a good coach here, not a great one. Could we do better than him? I don't know but at some point you have to try something different. And you're right about fundamentals not being taught and that's in every sport.
    Howland doesn't really have a plan on offense. So he can't really enforce certain behaviors like taking a long 2 early in the shot clock, because there is no script.

What has been surprising to me is our defense, or lack thereof. That Texas A&M game, wow!! And we just couldn't get the stops last night when Carter got hot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Howland doesn't really have a plan on offense. So he can't really enforce certain behaviors like taking a long 2 early in the shot clock, because there is no script.

What has been surprising to me is our defense, or lack thereof. That Texas A&M game, wow!! And we just couldn't get the stops last night when Carter got hot.
    That's a pretty good assessment.