Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Rotation

vCash

Weekend Rotation

Y'all ready to move Macleod to Friday yet?

Leads the league in whip at .40, tied for league lead in wins. Striking out 1.5 per inning. Opponents hitting .137.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Y'all ready to move Macleod to Friday yet?

Leads the league in whip at .40, tied for league lead in wins. Striking out 1.5 per inning. Opponents hitting .137.
    The only game we won was Saturday this weekend. Why in the hell would we eliminate the biggest advantage we have right now missing 2 starters?

I still have never understood why people think being not quite as good on Friday isn't ok when you are really damn good on a Saturday. Putting our best pitcher against the other teams best pitcher puts us in a bad spot when we have starting depth issues.

MacLeod on Saturday is a really sure thing right now. Start putting him against the best pitcher from the other team and you lose that advantage.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 03-02-2020 at 06:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    The only game we won was Saturday this weekend. Why in the hell would we eliminate the biggest advantage we have right now missing 2 starters?

I still have never understood why people think being not quite as good on Friday isn't ok when you are really damn good on a Saturday. Putting our best pitcher against the other teams best pitcher puts us in a bad spot when we have starting depth issues.

MacLeod on Saturday is a really sure thing right now. Start putting him against the best pitcher from the other team and you lose that advantage.
    I agree he gives you an advantage pitching on Saturday.

The question is, do you think he is a dominant Friday night guy? If you replaced him right now with last years Ethan small (a dominant Friday guy) and took Macleod off this team, would you throw small on Saturday?

vCash
    I agree he gives you an advantage pitching on Saturday.

The question is, do you think he is a dominant Friday night guy? If you replaced him right now with last years Ethan small (a dominant Friday guy) and took Macleod off this team, would you throw small on Saturday?
    MacLeod is 100% a Friday capable guy. But the big difference last year is we had Ginn on Saturday. So if it was Small and the rest of the staff we have right now? Hell yes Ethan Small throws on a Saturday.

You play to win the games, not pitch guys on certain days because that's what everyone else does. With no Ginn or Brandon Smith, the best chance this team has of winning 2 every weekend is with MacLeod on Saturday and Cerantola on Sunday.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    If MacLeod had pitched last Friday night, we would have only lost 2-0 instead of 4-0. I say keep him on Saturday.

vCash
    MacLeod is 100% a Friday capable guy. But the big difference last year is we had Ginn on Saturday. So if it was Small and the rest of the staff we have right now? Hell yes Ethan Small throws on a Saturday.

You play to win the games, not pitch guys on certain days because that's what everyone else does. With no Ginn or Brandon Smith, the best chance this team has of winning 2 every weekend is with MacLeod on Saturday and Cerantola on Sunday.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    If MacLeod had pitched last Friday night, we would have only lost 2-0 instead of 4-0. I say keep him on Saturday.
    Where you get the 2? It'd be 0-0

vCash

So you're willing to concede being at a disadvantage every Friday for in turn being at an advantage every Saturday and hoping to get a series win on Sunday.

I'm not saying you're wrong mind you. But it's dang hard to win a series after dropping Friday night.

vCash
    Your Friday night guy has to be an Innings-eater. Cant spend Friday nights eating up the Bullpen. Cerantola is the Sunday guy that is going to give us 4-5 innings most weekends. So we need BP arms ready for the back half on Sunday. Pitching Mac on Sat may be the best thing because guys in the bullpen would get a day off between Friday and Sunday. He can be a workhorse in the middle of the series. If your Friday guy doesnt eat innings- Saturday guy absolutely has to
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    So you're willing to concede being at a disadvantage every Friday for in turn being at an advantage every Saturday and hoping to get a series win on Sunday.

I'm not saying you're wrong mind you. But it's dang hard to win a series after dropping Friday night.
    We would be at a disadvantage on Fridays with any MLB pitcher on the bump for us. Because we are incapable of scoring runs against Friday SEC guys (see Texas Southern).

vCash

Yes. Because Cerantola is more talented than any other Sunday starter we will see guaranteed. When he's got his good stuff, he can take any Sunday starter in the conference.

So right now I would say we have a 2-1 starting advantage keeping it how it is. Move MacLeod to Friday and Cerantola to Saturday and it becomes, at best, us having only 1 game of starter advantage. Arguably a push Friday night because a ton of teams have solid Friday guys.

So you risk taking the L Friday knowing you have the better guy at the most important position on the field the next 2 days. Baseball is about advantage. You never take away your own advantage. Now we could argue who the Friday guy should be other than MacLeod. That to me is the bigger discussion. I think we've got time to try out a few guys if we want to. But I'm definitely not for ruining an advantage that we have when our team is already missing pieces.

vCash
    Yes. Because Cerantola is more talented than any other Sunday starter we will see guaranteed. When he's got his good stuff, he can take any Sunday starter in the conference.

So right now I would say we have a 2-1 starting advantage keeping it how it is. Move MacLeod to Friday and Cerantola to Saturday and it becomes, at best, us having only 1 game of starter advantage. Arguably a push Friday night because a ton of teams have solid Friday guys.

So you risk taking the L Friday knowing you have the better guy at the most important position on the field the next 2 days. Baseball is about advantage. You never take away your own advantage. Now we could argue who the Friday guy should be other than MacLeod. That to me is the bigger discussion. I think we've got time to try out a few guys if we want to. But I'm definitely not for ruining an advantage that we have when our team is already missing pieces.
    I think Macleod gives you an advantage on most Fridays and is at worst a push.

You are higher on EC than I am, but if you are right that he is more talented than all other Sunday guys then he is at least a push on Saturday.

Then I think koestler is a push on Sunday.

I just don't like conceding Friday.

vCash
    Aside from one outing Koestler has been OK. But I don't like conceding Friday to try to win Saturday. I have a feeling it all comes out in the wash no matter how we do it.

vCash
    Doesn?t make two shits who we through if we K 17 times and have 1 hit...

Gotta hit and score runs. We all thought we would be thin at pitching and would put score people. It has been a complete opposite so far...

If we can ever get the offense clicking and keep pitching like we are, we will be in business...

Look how many times we have went 3 up, 3 down... that?s doesn?t give our pitcher very much rest...

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Where you get the 2? It'd be 0-0
    It would have been 0-0 after 7 when MacLeod went out. The bullpen would have been excellent afterwards, but we would have lost it on a walkoff two run dinger in the bottom of the 17th, thus the 2-0 final. We would however, have ended up with 3 hits instead of 1, so there's that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Doesn?t make two shits who we through if we K 17 times and have 1 hit...

Gotta hit and score runs. We all thought we would be thin at pitching and would put score people. It has been a complete opposite so far...

If we can ever get the offense clicking and keep pitching like we are, we will be in business...

Look how many times we have went 3 up, 3 down... that?s doesn?t give our pitcher very much rest...
    Yep. Good post.

I see plenty of arms that can get outs. Macleod is Friday talented and I get the debate. But I see plenty of arms that can give us a chance to win on the weekend.

With Tanner Allen possibly being out and a lineup struggling to score, my worries are on the offensive side of the ball. The two year sample size suggests a handful of them will hit at a high level. But our bottom half has some questions and Tanner Allen getting hurt doesn't help at all. Someone is going to have to step up.

My first thought is getting Luke Hancock more at bats. We need some competitive at bats and his approach can generate that.
    Last edited by hp22; 03-02-2020 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hp22 View Post
    Yep. Good post.

I see plenty of arms that can get outs. Macleod is Friday talented and I get the debate. But I see plenty of arms that can give us a chance to win on the weekend.

With Tanner Allen possibly being out and a lineup struggling to score, my worries are on the offensive side of the ball. The two year sample size suggests a handful of them will hit at a high level. But our bottom half has some questions and Tanner Allen getting hurt doesn't help at all. Someone is going to have to step up.

My first thought is getting Luke Hancock more at bats. We need some competitive at bats and his approach can generate that.
    Good thought about Hancock however he has been banged up too.

And I'll say it- Tanner Allen is a bigger loss than JT Ginn. Rumor is he is out for 6-8 weeks and possibly done for the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

And I'll say it- Tanner Allen is a bigger loss than JT Ginn. Rumor is he is out for 6-8 weeks and possibly done for the season.
    What's his injury?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Yep

Allen being out that long would be a massive loss

And I like getting high risk/high reward guys at bats like Cumbest and Pimental.

vCash
    What's his injury?
    Not 100% sure yet because they want to take a second look but they fear that it may be fractured.