Thread: Baseball: Early Look at Stats

vCash

Baseball: Early Look at Stats

Preface all this by saying it's early. We've played 8 of 56 games, 14.3% of the regular season.

Hitting .259 as a team.

Opponents are only hitting .196, but we are walking/hbp nearly 6 a game and fielding at a .965 clip. Woof.

It's early, but for comparison, last year we hit .315 and Gave up just over 4 free passes a game
    And fielded .973.

As far as pitching, Teams are hitting the following against these guys:

.156 vs cerentola
    .171 vs Macleod
    .0 vs price
    .111 vs self
    .105 vs sims
    .174 vs Bednar

That's dang good. Just fill the zone up!

Now for the bad news, .318 vs koestler. I just don't see Friday's going well through the course of the year with him in that Friday night role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Now for the bad news, .318 vs koestler. I just don't see Friday's going well through the course of the year with him in that Friday night role.
    The guy who's thrown 5 innings?

vCash
    Small sample size on Koestler at this point. We'll see if that holds up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yea him. The guy with a whip of 2.0. But it is not even about numbers as much as it is about his stuff. I don't think he has Friday night stuff. Two weeks ago he was a middle reliever, weekday starter option. Now he is throwing on Friday's (not because of great numbers, but due to injury).

Again, it is early, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe we will be above .500 on Friday nights in sec play if he is our Friday guy all year.

vCash
    I wasn't making a statement on his quality as a Friday night guy, he's obviously not at that level. Just wondering why we're talking numbers for a guy with 5 IP.

vCash
    I wasn't making a statement on his quality as a Friday night guy, he's obviously not at that level. Just wondering why we're talking numbers for a guy with 5 IP.
    Because I fear his numbers through 5 innings are representative of the quality of his stuff. Which is not that of a Friday night guy.

I agree it is too early for any definitive conclusion.

vCash
    Rowdey had 2 errors in CF in one game. I am not sure if Mangum had more than 2 per year. We downgraded in every position in the outfield defensively.

vCash
    Because I fear his numbers through 5 innings are representative of the quality of his stuff. Which is not that of a Friday night guy.

I agree it is too early for any definitive conclusion.
    Doesn't mater. It would be dumb to move MacLeod to a Friday. His stuff is as good as most anyone we will see on a Saturday. Same for Cerantola on Sunday.

We might change guys on Friday, but with Ginn and Smith out, we need advantages. MacLeod on Saturday and Cerantola on Sunday give us that.

vCash
    Yea him. The guy with a whip of 2.0. But it is not even about numbers as much as it is about his stuff. I don't think he has Friday night stuff. Two weeks ago he was a middle reliever, weekday starter option. Now he is throwing on Friday's (not because of great numbers, but due to injury).

Again, it is early, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe we will be above .500 on Friday nights in sec play if he is our Friday guy all year.
    I think MacLeoud becomes the Friday guy at some point during the season. Koestler will slide back to Saturday or Sunday depending on how Cerentola does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Doesn't mater. It would be dumb to move MacLeod to a Friday. His stuff is as good as most anyone we will see on a Saturday. Same for Cerantola on Sunday.

We might change guys on Friday, but with Ginn and Smith out, we need advantages. MacLeod on Saturday and Cerantola on Sunday give us that.
    Depends on the bullpen. If Sims, Bednar, Self, and Price continue to pitch well it doesn't make a lot of sense to almost concede Friday.

vCash
    To hell with it. Throw Bednar or Simms Fri. Let them get their feet wet. Then bring in Koestler or someone else if need be... We may just be very well surprised.

vCash
    Wright State mauled him, 5 hits in 2 innings then did much better vs Oregon State

Shemper has been good in 3 of 4 outings, got mauled by Oregon St in that wild 8th inning

vCash
    When Thompson was here and we had such a strong pen, we always used our most durable starter on Saturday. This gave us a better chance to use our best bullpen guys twice on the weekends (Friday and Sunday). Maybe this is what Foxhall is thinking right now.

vCash
    Preface all this by saying it's early. We've played 8 of 56 games, 14.3% of the regular season.

Hitting .259 as a team.

Opponents are only hitting .196, but we are walking/hbp nearly 6 a game and fielding at a .965 clip. Woof.

It's early, but for comparison, last year we hit .315 and Gave up just over 4 free passes a game
    And fielded .973.

As far as pitching, Teams are hitting the following against these guys:

.156 vs cerentola
    .171 vs Macleod
    .0 vs price
    .111 vs self
    .105 vs sims
    .174 vs Bednar

That's dang good. Just fill the zone up!

We have to lead the nation in Ks and shitty ABs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We have to lead the nation in Ks and shitty ABs
    Our two strike approach is horrible

vCash
    Going by the swings the players are taking we should be at 30-335 homeruns....if not more.

I don't understand the problem......

vCash
    Seems to me everyone is trying to go yard every swing. We are way over aggressive while also being too picky... We let 0-0 or 0-1 fastballs go right down the plate, while swinging at horrible pitchers pitches. Also, we are trying to pull EVERYTHING!!

See the ball hit the ball.

None of our guys have enough strength to take an outside pitch and yank it 400 ft pull side.

They are pressing, but I have yet to see our hitting guru J.G. Make any adjustments in game. I remember watching Cann at LSU while he was hitting coach. He would jump their ass in games like we have been playing. I mean rip them a new one on the dugout mid game...

Something better change quickly, or we are gonna be fighting for a SEC tourney birth the way we are hitting. The conference is loaded with good pitching.

I?m not as worried about pitching. I believe we have plenty to win a 3 game set. We?re gonna be short in midweek, but who cares. If we get the offense going, we can out score the teams like we did last yr in midweek games....

I still say tho I would be getting Sims and Bednar ready for a starting spot. Use the Jucu guys in relief or midweek.

Just my thoughts...