Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YouTube Tv guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    That's what I'm talking about, $50 seems to be a 5 star commitment, I also heard Firestick doesn't work with YTTV? I have Roku and Firestick.
    Depends on how old your firestick is. Anything gen 2 or newer works fine for YouTube TV. We use one for our bedroom.

vCash
    That's what I'm talking about, $50 seems to be a 5 star commitment, I also heard Firestick doesn't work with YTTV? I have Roku and Firestick.
    Only the 1st gen firesticks don't work. If that's what you have, right now you can get a newer one on Amazon for $25

vCash
    What is the DVR function? Talk kindergarten speak, lol.
    Recording your shows. Not only does it get that show but provides previous episodes without you asking to have them recorded. In other words, I record Chopped and can go back several seasons and watch episodes on demand. I went and found MSU men's basketball and flagged it to record. I get those games recorded automatically now without doing anything. Same thing with MSU football. Tried women's basketball but it's not singled out in the list for some reason. I have to set that to record on a game by game basis. Hope this helps.

vCash
    I use Roku.

vCash
    Do you guys who have YouTubeTV have smart TVs/roku TVs? If not, is that where the fire stick comes in to allow you to watch YouTubeTV on older non-smart TVs?

vCash
    Many thanks for the tips and information on YTTV. I am thinking of putting up my antenna I have at my deer camp, on the Direct TV disk. I think I can take disk off and connect the cables to get the other TV stations around the Jackson area.
    Have any of you guys seen or tried. I also see I will be able to get local TV stations from YTTV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Do you guys who have YouTubeTV have smart TVs/roku TVs? If not, is that where the fire stick comes in to allow you to watch YouTubeTV on older non-smart TVs?
    None of my TVs are smart TVs. We run YouTube TV through my PlayStation in the living room and through a fire stick in the bedroom. The fire stick is a small little device that simply plugs in to a USB or HDMI port on your TV and then a power outlet on the other end.

vCash
    For what it's worth we went Hulu + Live mainly because we already had Hulu anyway so for us it was going to be $50 either way since we already paid $5 a month for Hulu. We ended up getting the Disney + package later which if you have Hulu already is only $7 and includes access to ESNP + too.

I looked at both and the main difference was the way the DVR works. With Hulu you get 50 hours of storage for an unlimited time and with Youtube you get Unlimited storage but it can only hold stuff for 9 months. The thing here to keep in mind is that storage, if you record a football game it will be automatically deleted 9 months later with Youtube but Hulu will keep it until you delete it.

The next thing is with Hulu a lot of times you can search for a show you missed and not actually have to record it. Many series are stored on Hulu anyway and when you have Live access you will get to go see those basically right after they air without actually having to use your DVR space. The only thing you will need to use the DVR for is anything you want to record that is not a series like a game. Heck with ESPN you can even go back like a week or two and rewatch a game on demand.

It's all about what fits your need really. There are streaming differences since Hulu lets you watch 2 things simultaneously and Youtube lets you watch 3. I'm not sure if you can upgrade that with Youtube but with Hulu you can upgrade that to unlimited screens and also the storage to 200 hours but the basic works fine for us.

We just found that we really only use about 20 hours of DVR storage since we don't need to record everything. One big thing when you switch if you have issues with recordings and power outages is since the DVR and everything else is basically on a "cloud" you will never miss a recording. It doesn't matter if your power or internet go out or anything, the system will record no matter what.
    Last edited by Maverick; 02-27-2020 at 09:50 AM.

vCash
    YTTV lets you skip commercials, Hulu doesn't. That makes the two not comparable to me.
    "until the next time you beat a frat guy unconscious, get stoned and think you're Peter Pan"

vCash
    My biggest problem is my internet service out in Webster County. I am trying out a cradle device that can have antenna's added if needed to get enough download speed.

I going with Pixel TV right now instead of youtube tv. I like it if I can just get enough download speed. May have to add larger antenna... jury still out.

vCash
    I just got an email from YouTube TV saying that they are dropping the Fox Regional Sports networks because they couldn't reach an agreement. This is big for me with baseball season coming up. Gotta have my Braves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnodawg View Post
    YTTV lets you skip commercials, Hulu doesn't. That makes the two not comparable to me.
    Hmmm, do you mean during regular tv or just with the DVR? You can fast forward through commercials just not ads, probably talking about the same thing but just clarifying that. Nothing is going to be the same just like the 9 month storage deal with Youtube is something I'm not crazy about. Pick your poison haha....