Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notafan Neal said State has some unfair advantage with baseball scholarships?

vCash

Notafan Neal said State has some unfair advantage with baseball scholarships?

Apparently Notafan said that in a recent podcast. Anyone know what he said or what he is talking about? I can't imagine what scholarship advantage State would have over OM, especially since they have Lucky Day scholarships and we don't.
    Last edited by MedDawg; 02-26-2020 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    I hope we do have advantages. We've suffered enough and have enough disadvantages in football that I hope we use any advantage we can in any sport.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Our advantage is we use our on quality guys.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    My guess is that he means that we have different opportunities for out of state students to lower their tuition or get in-state tuition.

So.... it's not more schollies per say, but acts essentially the same.

Either way though, who cares. Once Vandy is placed on an even playing field, then we can talk about this difference
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Probably just that we offer a superior baseball experience and higher-rated academics in return for the scholarship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    And the best stadium and atmosphere to go along with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    My guess is that he means that we have different opportunities for out of state students to lower their tuition or get in-state tuition.

So.... it's not more schollies per say, but acts essentially the same.

Either way though, who cares. Once Vandy is placed on an even playing field, then we can talk about this difference
    Every public universities are doing that now. They all find ways to waive the out of state tuition.

vCash
    our stadium is nicer, our trophy case is fuller, and our girls are prettier. Three big advantages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    our stadium is nicer, our trophy case is fuller, and our girls are prettier. Three big advantages.
    I'll agree with two of three

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I'll agree with two of three
    Makeup covers a lot.

vCash
    I don't understand why we don't just give baseball players leadership scholarships to make up any windfall. As long as it's offered to other students I don't see what the NCAA can do about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't understand why we don't just give baseball players leadership scholarships to make up any windfall. As long as it's offered to other students I don't see what the NCAA can do about it.
    Agree. Make it 55% regular students, 45% baseball players, and in a week we could fill the leadership scholarship fund with enough to take care of the whole baseball team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    Agree. Make it 55% regular students, 45% baseball players, and in a week we could fill the leadership scholarship fund with enough to take care of the whole baseball team.
    It's really so simple. Baseball is so unique because the walk-on rules that apply to football don't apply to baseball at all. Really has been crazy to me why the sport doesn't offer full scholarships and just pieces things up. It leave a lot of room for interpretation. That's why LSU got away with their state sponsored scholarship money and why Vanderbilt is now able to use their hardship money. And everyone knows that the NCAA is aware of it and that they aren't going to do anything about it. And we get Ron Polk complaining about Title IX for years....

Cohen has been pushing for national change where baseball seniors are able to get some form of scholarship. In fact he was presenting something on that at the ABCA convention when Kendall Rogers accidentally broke that we were firing Moorhead because Cohen had to cancel the presentation. It was pretty funny.

I feel like the SEC will break away and do their own thing with baseball in the next ten years and just say "Hey, conference rule. We're offering 25 full scholarships." To me it seems inevitable anyway. Schools like MSU, LSU, Arkansas, and Ole Miss would be 100% behind it and we would all be able to rally enough support of it. We could easily convince Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee that they could become superpowers too and make money with more scholarships as well. It's nice to see someone like Jake Mangum stand up and say "this is BS" for a change at least.

And I think the new NCAA legislation where players can now get compensation is going to potentially change the game for us in baseball. I'm pretty sure Jake Mangum, Elijah MacNamee, Ethan Small, JT Ginn, and etc. could have had their scholarships potentially paid for by our fans just buying t-shirts with those players last name and numbers on them. And we have enough fans that are willing to buy stuff like that just to help the team out legally. I definitely believe we would have some fans that would buy one of each players t-shirt just to help MSU out. It's a theory right now- but I'm very curious to see what the actual numbers look like. I could see us making a guy like Mangum "walk-on" knowing that he would easily make enough to pay for his school through merchandise sales while giving the JUCO transfer relief pitcher that appears in SWAC games only a full ride. With our baseball fanbase this legislation could very well end up being out "Vandy hardship scholarship".
    Last edited by Todd4State; 02-26-2020 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    Not a fan Neil was interviewing an Auburn beat writer named Jay Tate, who was making the most noise about MSU and baseball Scholarships. Cohen is the master of finding academic and other types of financial aid for baseball players.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    We did this during Polk 2 (according to some Prep Parents). Not implying we did anything untoward, but some baseball players got leadership (nonacademic) scholarships that regular students did not get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    our advantage is that tougher/ more blue collar players are attracted to MSU.

Ole Miss gets more Perfect Game show ponies from Florida, but you don't really win with those guys. Especially since your picking at best 3rd out of that group with the best going to Florida & then FSU

That's why Ole Miss can't be us in baseball without changing their complete identity as a program.

Dyed blond hair & soft kids are attracted to Ole Miss' country club culture while MSU tends to attract the more country, blue collar kid that likely dips. Look in the Major Leagues & tell me who those players are...

vCash
    Nice explanation ther shotgun. One of my tsun friends basically said the same thing to me last week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    Nice explanation ther shotgun. One of my tsun friends basically said the same thing to me last week.
    Baseball is a grind man. You can't be consistent over 162 or 60+ college games without having some grit & dirt bag to you.

Ole Miss has the same problem in football, but the talented WR & some skill positions are almost always the softer, flare type that they attract, but they'll never put it all together without buying interior players that they don't naturally attract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Not a fan Neil was interviewing an Auburn beat writer named Jay Tate, who was making the most noise about MSU and baseball Scholarships. Cohen is the master of finding academic and other types of financial aid for baseball players.
    From what I know about our automatic scholarships, it's probably not all that hard for baseball players to get legit academic scholarship money. Anyone admitted to MSU with over a 20 ACT/1030 SAT and a 3.0 gets $. Over a 22 ACT and your Out-of state kids start to qualify for OOS tuition reductions on top of scholarships. JUCO kids over a 3.0 and 48 hours of credit get a nice chunk too. The school is also very good (in my experience) about informing kids what they qualify for as well, and stacking on Pell Grants, etc when families qualify. If we could get some MSU legacy guys from out of state, they can get even more money for being a legacy (my daughter benefited from that). The ability to then stack 10-20% of a baseball scholarship on top, and it all adds up fast.

What I think we have done is had the foresight to make this a part of our recruiting plan for kids. A good coach is going to go into a meeting with this ammo already prepared.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    It's really so simple. Baseball is so unique because the walk-on rules that apply to football don't apply to baseball at all. Really has been crazy to me why the sport doesn't offer full scholarships and just pieces things up. It leave a lot of room for interpretation. That's why LSU got away with their state sponsored scholarship money and why Vanderbilt is now able to use their hardship money. And everyone knows that the NCAA is aware of it and that they aren't going to do anything about it. And we get Ron Polk complaining about Title IX for years....

Cohen has been pushing for national change where baseball seniors are able to get some form of scholarship. In fact he was presenting something on that at the ABCA convention when Kendall Rogers accidentally broke that we were firing Moorhead because Cohen had to cancel the presentation. It was pretty funny.

I feel like the SEC will break away and do their own thing with baseball in the next ten years and just say "Hey, conference rule. We're offering 25 full scholarships." To me it seems inevitable anyway. Schools like MSU, LSU, Arkansas, and Ole Miss would be 100% behind it and we would all be able to rally enough support of it. We could easily convince Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee that they could become superpowers too and make money with more scholarships as well. It's nice to see someone like Jake Mangum stand up and say "this is BS" for a change at least.

And I think the new NCAA legislation where players can now get compensation is going to potentially change the game for us in baseball. I'm pretty sure Jake Mangum, Elijah MacNamee, Ethan Small, JT Ginn, and etc. could have had their scholarships potentially paid for by our fans just buying t-shirts with those players last name and numbers on them. And we have enough fans that are willing to buy stuff like that just to help the team out legally. I definitely believe we would have some fans that would buy one of each players t-shirt just to help MSU out. It's a theory right now- but I'm very curious to see what the actual numbers look like. I could see us making a guy like Mangum "walk-on" knowing that he would easily make enough to pay for his school through merchandise sales while giving the JUCO transfer relief pitcher that appears in SWAC games only a full ride. With our baseball fanbase this legislation could very well end up being out "Vandy hardship scholarship".
    Yep. While many schools have the money to get to baseball players for their 'likeness', very few would be willing to (State, OM, LSU, Arkansas, maybe A&M/South Carolina and a few non-SEC schools). State and its baseball-crazed fanbase would be one of the first to take care of our baseball players. Vandy has the advantage right now, but they are still limited to tuition and maybe room and board. State fans will go past that and our baseball players will have cash in hand, and WE will have the advantage! Mangum would have made so much money just selling autographs to State fans.

If we formed the leadership scholarship fund now and made it 55% regular students and 45% baseball players, some SEC schools might complain, but that would be hypocritical . Vandy, LSU, Florida, South Carolina and others have HOPE-type scholarships and endowed scholarships that State doesn't have. If they complain about State's leadership fund, then they will end up on the losing end because the whole baseball scholarship thing would end up regulated and 'evened out' among SEC schools. They would lose their HOPE-type scholarship fund advantage.