Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's time to readjust unrealistic expectations for our Baseball team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PKADogs55 View Post
    Had we won last night 12-1, would we even be having this discussion?
    No

vCash
    This is the type of team that will take their lumps at the start of the year while we figure out our pitching and because we have a tough SEC schedule to start off. But by midway point I think we hit our stride. We have a really good 1-9.

vCash
    I dont think there is a single lineup in the country that has good hitters 1-9. We dont either we just need the ones that arent good right now to realize it and work counts and compete not try to hit everything to the lofts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I remember Pirtle starting very slow out of the gate coming from JUCO, Macname too. I could see Pimentel catching up eventually like those guys did, though hopefully he does it at Pirtle's pace and doesn't take as long as Mac.
    You can live with a guy in your lineup catching up hitting .220 but things will have to improve quickly because you can't keep a guy in your lineup long hitting .120.

vCash
    <yawn> we gonna be aight. No worries.

I like a bad loss early in the year. Pisses everyone off and gets them focused.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Half of you need to join the French Army. You will fit right in.
    What would the Wake Island Marines say?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    I would imagine that if the marines got their ass kicked by France they would probably regroup.

Baseball isn't war though.

vCash
    Co'mon man. This is typical MSU baseball.

(1) Ginn - Huge Loss. He was like a $20 bill in our pocket, that we never should have had. He needs to get healthy and come back when he's ready.
    (2) Smith - Huge Loss. The kid was good and would have been Saturday. Probably.
    (3) Barlow was not that good. Leibelt was a total surprise. Gordon was a first-baseman. White was barely used. Eagan barely pitched 5 SEC innings in 2019
    (4) Self and Price are actually more experienced and more accomplished than anybody but Gordon coming into last year.
    (5) The big thing that a long term college baseball fan has to accept is that coaches have to find and test how to use each pitcher. Some guys can only face 3 batters, some 1 batter, some clean innings, and some cannot do SEC work.
    (6) Freshmen pitchers have got to be given playing time to find their capabilities. KC Hunt will have better games.
    (7) Westburg is currently hitting 400; Westburg, Foscue, Allen, and Rowdy are 4 players any team in the nation would want
    (8) Hatcher is very experienced and will be right.

As far as national seed, that's always hard. Really hard when you don't have a All American or two in the SEC Rotation.

Next year, will have new problems. Lots of pitching but we lose 5 big hitters (Westy, Foscue, Allen, Rowdy, and Hatcher). But, that's baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Co'mon man. This is typical MSU baseball.

(1) Ginn - Huge Loss. He was like a $20 bill in our pocket, that we never should have had. He needs to get healthy and come back when he's ready.
    (2) Smith - Huge Loss. The kid was good and would have been Saturday. Probably.
    (3) Barlow was not that good. Leibelt was a total surprise. Gordon was a first-baseman. White was barely used. Eagan barely pitched 5 SEC innings in 2019
    (4) Self and Price are actually more experienced and more accomplished than anybody but Gordon coming into last year.
    (5) The big thing that a long term college baseball fan has to accept is that coaches have to find and test how to use each pitcher. Some guys can only face 3 batters, some 1 batter, some clean innings, and some cannot do SEC work.
    (6) Freshmen pitchers have got to be given playing time to find their capabilities. KC Hunt will have better games.
    (7) Westburg is currently hitting 400; Westburg, Foscue, Allen, and Rowdy are 4 players any team in the nation would want
    (8) Hatcher is very experienced and will be right.

As far as national seed, that's always hard. Really hard when you don't have a All American or two in the SEC Rotation.

Next year, will have new problems. Lots of pitching but we lose 5 big hitters (Westy, Foscue, Allen, Rowdy, and Hatcher). But, that's baseball.
    Also I think Pimentel will adjust at some point later in the year. Hancock has been banged up some and he's a good player as well.

vCash
    The best thing about these past few year of state baseball.....it has trained my mind not to freakbout. I understand this is mostly a different group......but State baseball has had enough magic, comebacks, over coming odds lately that it has just trained my mind. Like muscle memory.

This season may end up being disappointing, but I'm not letting a possibility of what might happen, cause me stress in February.

vCash

It is Feb

We went to a super regional at Baton Rouge three years ago with half of our staff out with Tommy John. This staff is deeper....even with the injuries to Ginn/Smith.

We have 2 years of data regarding the offensive production on guys like Rowdey, Foscue, Westy, Hatcher, TA...And have enough to know about a few others like Hancock and L Jordan. Point being, I think that group will score runs.

Baseball is a long season. Let the numbers play out. Our margin for error has taken a hit losing guys like Smith and Ginn. But we are still a very talented baseball team and have series wins against two good baseball programs. And it is only February.
    Last edited by hp22; 02-27-2020 at 02:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    They would say to send them more japs

vCash
    We are Miss State Baseball

Super Regional Appearance is the expectation. Anything less than that is a failure.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Something to keep in mind and Todd has touched on it a few times, we have been relying on quite a few juco pitchers the last few years. I think this means that we are having to fill holes. Those holes may be attributable to 4 coaches in 4 years basically.

Young players and newcomers mixed with some injuries and i could see it ending up being a somewhat disappointing season. We just need to avoid a disaster and keep the attention of the top recruits.

vCash
    What does our class next yr look like? Besides Jordan and Hendricks...