Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sec ranks in winning % in big 3 last 3 years (sec games only)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Sec ranks in winning % in big 3 last 3 years (sec games only)

Football = 9th (46%)
    Baseball = 6th (58%)
    Basketball = 6th (54%)

I just don't see how our basketball program is embarrassing other than the support we give it

vCash
    The competition isn't even.

The sec is the best conference in football and baseball. The competition is very tough. Being competitive in the sec in football and baseball means you can be competitive on a national level.

In basketball the sec isn't nearly as strong. So while we may be a middle of the pack SEC team in basketball, that doesn't translate the same way a middle of the pack baseball or football does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    The competition isn't even.

The sec is the best conference in football and baseball. The competition is very tough. Being competitive in the sec in football and baseball means you can be competitive on a national level.

In basketball the sec isn't nearly as strong. So while we may be a middle of the pack SEC team in basketball, that doesn't translate the same way a middle of the pack baseball or football does.
    We were NIT semi finals in 2017

5-seed in ncaat in 2018 (obviously disappointing loss to end it)

This year is yet to be determined

Again, I'm not embarrassed by our basketball program.

vCash
    Many fans see four and five star players on our basketball roster and think we should be Kentucky. Florida Auburn and LSU have those players too and aren?t really that far ahead of us in the standings this year. In fact UF, Aub and LSU were all picked preseason ahead of State. If we finish 5th in the SEC I don?t see what we are complaining about when that?s about where we should be based on our roster vs the other SEC teams. Sure I wish Howland was a better X and O coach but he?s keeping us competitive and recruiting is good

vCash
    Part of the problem is that we lose some games we shouldn't but we rarely beat a team that's better than us...?.We wouldn't be in this mess right now if we'd won games against NMSU, La Tech, UM, A&M...?..That is compounded by the perceived lack of effort in some of those...?.If we'd just won two of those, this probably isn't a discussion right now.....
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Part of the problem is that we lose some games we shouldn't but we rarely beat a team that's better than us...?.We wouldn't be in this mess right now if we'd won games against NMSU, La Tech, UM, A&M...?..That is compounded by the perceived lack of effort in some of those...?.If we'd just won two of those, this probably isn't a discussion right now.....
    We Beat Auburn last season at home with minimal fan support. They were a late game blunder away from playing for the national championship.

vCash
    Expectations are rarely met. I think eliminating divisions has hurt too because we've got nothing to compete for except a top 6 finish now. Then you've got the whole bullshit seating arrangement that caters to the money toting blue hairs, while treating students like they've got corona virus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I think eliminating divisions has hurt too because we've got nothing to compete for except a top 6 finish now.
    SEC West banners?

Going 8-8 but "winning a championship" is not the same as "competing"....but that was Stans' bread and butter. It was telling he was the only HC to vote to keep divisions back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    SEC West banners?

Going 8-8 but "winning a championship" is not the same as "competing"....but that was Stans' bread and butter. It was telling he was the only HC to vote to keep divisions back then.
    Yeah how stupid was it for Stans to vote in the best interest of MSU. So stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Yeah how stupid was it for Stans to vote in the best interest of MSU. So stupid.
    Stansbury voted in the best interest of Stansbury, not MSU. The only thing that winning the west accomplished was hanging a meaningless banner in the Hump and keeping the fans off of his ass. Winning the west made absolutely no difference in post season play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Stansbury voted in the best interest of Stansbury, not MSU. The only thing that winning the west accomplished was hanging a meaningless banner in the Hump and keeping the fans off of his ass. Winning the west made absolutely no difference in post season play.
    To play devil's advocate, the east was generally better than the west during Stansbury's tenure, which benefited us by getting to play west teams twice and east teams once every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

So we lost divisions, fired Stansbury and MSU basketball has been a better product ever since. Great call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Many fans see four and five star players on our basketball roster and think we should be Kentucky.
    The thing they don't understand is that there's a very wide spectrum of players crunched together at the very top of the rating scale in basketball. The kind of players blue bloods like UK recruit are on a completely different level than the kind of high four and low five stars Stansbury and Howland so far have recruited, even though they're only a point or two (or less) apart in rating. If basketball ratings were spread out to the same degree as football, my guess is our average rating would be around a low four star.

Expectations are rarely met.
    Expectations are often set too high based on revisionist history.

vCash
    Expectations are rarely met. I think eliminating divisions has hurt too because we've got nothing to compete for except a top 6 finish now. Then you've got the whole bullshit seating arrangement that caters to the money toting blue hairs, while treating students like they've got corona virus.
    Somewhat true on expectations. As 7 posted we are not an embarrassment at all, 7-8 years ago was. We can be near the top again. SEC is not a basketball conf as many have noted. UK and UF about the only real top programs. LSU, UT, Aub, SC all temporary success just like we have been.

vCash
    We've certainly got issues with attendance that we have to figure out. Wish we could come up with a reward program for season ticket holders that their tickets get used 80% of the time or something similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We've certainly got issues with attendance that we have to figure out. Wish we could come up with a reward program for season ticket holders that their tickets get used 80% of the time or something similar.
    We used ours 90% of the time for 20+ years, till we were stripped of our seats that we were promised we could always have as long as we bought tickets. There were a bunch of people like us. Many quit when it happened, we carried on for a few years (with better seats) but it just wasn't the same. We found ourselves going less and less (this was prior to Ray) because we didn't know the people around us, and they were never the same year to year and many times from game to game. There were a lot of cooperate seats around us. It wasn't uncommon for opposition fans to be in those seats. It just wasn't as much fun. I wouldn't go back to being a season ticket holder now even if they go back to doing it the way they used to. I wouldn't believe one word MSU said about it. I don't like being lied to. I still go to a game every now and then, but I only do it when I absolutely want to and when I easily can. I don't plan things around it anymore or go when it would be the least bit of a bother. I used to. There are a lot of locals still around like me, or locals who were our kids. If they hadn't changed it, I'd almost certainly have stayed with it. Most of them would have too. The core of the basketball fanbase that went to the Hump for most games, esp the weekday games, lived mostly with in an hour or so of Starkville. It wasn't large, but it WAS the core of the crowd. It was maybe 2500 to 3500 people. We lost a lot of them because of the choice that Greg Byrne made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You mean like this?

MEN’S BASKETBALL

2019-20 SCAN REWARDS:
    50% SCANS: Entered to Win 2 Tickets to the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament + 20% Off State Style Purchase
    75% SCANS: 1 Bulldog Club Point + Men's Basketball Locker Room Tour + Entered to Win One of Five Team Signed Basketballs
    90% SCANS: 1 Bulldog Club Point (2 Total) + Shoot Around in the Hump + Entered to Win One of Five Coach Howland Signed Jerseys

https://hailstate.com/sports/2017/11...-programs.aspx

I have MBB tickets but don't live in Starkville and can't make all of the games. The reality is that often times, I can't even give them away.

vCash
    The OM game ended all support (that was there) just about like Morehead losing to Mullen. Fans are tired of watching that kind of crap.

vCash
    The OM game ended all support (that was there) just about like Morehead losing to Mullen. Fans are tired of watching that kind of crap.
    This is the truth. All our fans are concerned with is beating Ole Miss in anything. It's why there were 9500 fans at the women's game that State won by 60.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    SEC West banners?

But the fans liked it and we weren't struggling to get asses in the seats. We've played for nothing since, and fans are gone.