Thread: Keep an eye on early next week.

vCash

Keep an eye on early next week.

Starting to hear more and more grumblings about a severe weather event looking to take shape. Right now time frame is looking like overnight Tuesday, but a week away that's way too early to nail down. Jackson NWS already mentioning it even though it's beyond their forecast period and saying possible significant weather system possible. Just something to keep an eye on.

vCash
    Thanks Vegas.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    In all seriousness, can anyone remember a start to the year with this much precipitation and weather?

I know it’s happened before, I just don’t know that I ever remember it. Granted, I’m only 40, but GOOD GRIEF when does it stop?

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    In all seriousness, can anyone remember a start to the year with this much precipitation and weather?

I know it’s happened before, I just don’t know that I ever remember it. Granted, I’m only 40, but GOOD GRIEF when does it stop?
    Severe Weather- Yes. Rain - No

vCash

For Starkville, the average annual rainfall is around 55". So far, at my gauge, we're at 25.79". So not quite two months into the year and we're knocking on the door to 50% of our average rainfall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Severe Weather- Yes. Rain - No
    It depends on where you live, but last winter (Dec-Feb) was wetter than this year. We had almost 14" in February alone in 2019.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    For Starkville, the average annual rainfall is around 55". So far, at my gauge, we're at 25.79". So not quite two months into the year and we're knocking on the door to 50% of our average rainfall.
    10-15 years ago, we had an entire year with only 27+". Starkville was probably similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    It depends on where you live, but last winter (Dec-Feb) was wetter than this year. We had almost 14" in February alone in 2019.
    Right now I've had 15.69" for Feb. This part of MS has seen 200-over 400% of normal rainfall this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Right now I've had 15.69" for Feb. This part of MS has seen 200-over 400% of normal rainfall this year.
    Officially 10.38" here so far this February, but well over 25" since Dec. 1. That's a pretty big difference for a relatively short distance.

vCash
    Last year was wetter, with worse flooding in NE Miss.

vCash

Yeah like it reminds me of last year. Very similar. A shit ton of rain.

vCash
    Thanks SD. Any good warming trend this time of year is surely gonna be followed by a nasty front, that usually messes up any plans I have of doing anything outdoors, if I’m not working overtime.

Oh, and get well soon!
    Last edited by Barking 13; 02-26-2020 at 04:32 AM.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Last year was wetter, with worse flooding in NE Miss.
    You mean Jan-feb of 2019 had more rain than Jan-feb of 2020? Not even close in metro area. About 25 inches to 10 inches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    Thanks SD. Any good warming trend this time of year is surely gonna be followed by a nasty front, that usually messes up any plans I have of doing anything outdoors, if I’m not working overtime.

Oh, and get well soon!
    Appreciate it. Think I may have finally turned the corner. Now just got to get my son over it and hope the wife and daughter miss it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    You mean Jan-feb of 2019 had more rain than Jan-feb of 2020? Not even close in metro area. About 25 inches to 10 inches.
    Jackson isn't in Northeast Mississippi. Yes, we had more rain last year, with more serious flooding. The Tombigbee flooding last year was WAY worse, so was the Tennessee.

vCash
    And ironically, here in southeast MS we've had a little less than average in rainfall. All the storms and heavy rain has stayed to our north.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Jackson isn't in Northeast Mississippi. Yes, we had more rain last year, with more serious flooding. The Tombigbee flooding last year was WAY worse, so was the Tennessee.
    Starkville is at 26 so far this year.
    2019 Jan and February combined was 17

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usms0761

vCash
    Well, where I'm at in MS it's been like this the past 2 years and then this year as well now. Something that was a hundred year flood turned into an every year deal now it seems. They need to build those pumps down by the steele bayou control structure. The amount of rainfall is putting a major strain on all the rivers, streams, and reservoirs. I'm afraid something is going to give at some point, the whole MS river control system has really been put to the test the past few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Starkville is at 26 so far this year.
    2019 Jan and February combined was 17

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usms0761
    Tupelo last year: 19.1 This Year: 22.2 It was worse the farther north you went last year. Both were very wet years. As I said the flooding on the Tombigbee and the Tennessee , the two major rivers that touch NE Miss, was WAY worse last year. Tupelo had 16 inches in Feb last year, around 8 1/2 this year.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 02-26-2020 at 11:54 AM.