Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TXAM is the worst offensive team in conference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We don't value the ball. Very careless with it.
    As a coach, you're either coaching smn or allowing it. Ben allows too much.
    Yeah way to many unforced turnovers and just some mind numbingly dumb plays

vCash
    Just back from College Station. Based on my observations today, Nick gets out of control from time to time, and it hurts this team in the form of turnovers and senseless fouls. It seems like Howland spent half of the game trying to get Weatherspoon and Perry to calm their emotions down. It looked like we had better athletes, to be honest, but could not sustain any momentum. It's like we hate success.

vCash
    I think a lot of our issues are bc we don't have a true point. Nick is a good player, but I don't think he's at his best at the 1

vCash
    Howland has been....I don't know, maybe above average? Maybe a little better than that. It's a weird spot. He's not getting it done at this point, but we could easily do much worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Just looking at the stats and I noticed one glaring difference between this game and some of the game we won. Today we only had 10 FTs total. In some of the games we won we were shooting 21, 31 and against SC 34. Were the refs not calling any fouls our were we just not trying to draw them?
    Hard to get to the free throw line when you turn the ball over. At last count we had 14 I don't know what the final count was.
    Last edited by Gypsy_RoadDawg; 02-22-2020 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think a lot of our issues are bc we don't have a true point. Nick is a good player, but I don't think he's at his best at the 1
    Well Nick sure isn't playing like a true point. Boy he did a while back for about 4-5 games but I think teams were playing man on us then. Nick has not adjusted to teams playing zone. The zone has killed this team's momentum and likely will cost us a tourney bid. For those coaches that just revolt against a zone, that zone is getting a lot of wins against us. A zone can be very effective used correctly.

vCash
    There isn't much to analyze here. Cooter is dead on. We win only when our talent advantage is better than another teams lesser talent + coaching. Today, like at OM, the better coaching was enough to make up the difference in talent. We will most likely never outcoach a more talented team and I've yet to see us Out coach a team with equal talent.

vCash
    Can someone explain what we are doing on offense against a 1-3-1 press or a zone press? We have Ado 20 ft on the baseline yet our guards don?t or won?t beat their man off the dribble. A do?s man doesn?t bother with him and helps on Perry. It seems the best time to score is in transition. I don?t understand what we are trying to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Who you think we could hire if we fired howland this year? Don't avoid it like always.
    Travis Decuire, Montana
    Chris Jans, NMSU
    Matt McMahon, Murray State
    John Becker, Vermont
    Mark Pope, BYU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingbarkus View Post
    Can someone explain what we are doing on offense against a 1-3-1 press or a zone press? We have Ado 20 ft on the baseline yet our guards don?t or won?t beat their man off the dribble. A do?s man doesn?t bother with him and helps on Perry. It seems the best time to score is in transition. I don?t understand what we are trying to do.
    The catch to this question is the fact that the HC doesn't know either. It is difficult to perform something in a game that one hasn't perfected in practice. Howland is one on one offensive coach. This is where it starts and stops.

vCash
    It's time to accept that no one in the SEC really gives a crap about basketball other than KY. FL and AU sometimes. This is why I'm glad we aren't wasting money on a new arena and just going to drop a much smaller sum of money into the Hump.
    One NCAA appearance every 5 years is the accepted criteria for a coach to keep his job if he's making the NIT. Avoid really bad years and it's all a wash.

vCash
    If all our players played as hard as Nick we would win all the games. he kept us in the game the first half. 3 of his turnovers were because other players fumbled his pass. We have a player that is shooting 47% from 3--why is he not shooting at least ten 3s a game? Most of our turnovers come trying to feed Perry. Other teams are now running zones and packing it in on Perry. We need Woodard , Carter and DJ to start shooting. shoot before we turn it over--hell , offensive rebounds is a strength for us. Perry needs to work on getting good position so our guards can get him the ball. He doesn't work hard enough. Watch Nebo, he gets great position and can catch the feed. Maybe A&M is better than people think--they have won 8 Sec games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    If all our players played as hard as Nick we would win all the games. he kept us in the game the first half. 3 of his turnovers were because other players fumbled his pass. We have a player that is shooting 47% from 3--why is he not shooting at least ten 3s a game? Most of our turnovers come trying to feed Perry. Other teams are now running zones and packing it in on Perry. We need Woodard , Carter and DJ to start shooting. shoot before we turn it over--hell , offensive rebounds is a strength for us. Perry needs to work on getting good position so our guards can get him the ball. He doesn't work hard enough. Watch Nebo, he gets great position and can catch the feed. Maybe A&M is better than people think--they have won 8 Sec games.
    I wish the HC had a strategy like u describe. Go back and check his other coaching stops and u will see that he simply won with superior talent and there waan't that much situational strategy involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    I wish the HC had a strategy like u describe. Go back and check his other coaching stops and u will see that he simply won with superior talent and there waan't that much situational strategy involved.
    Say it louder for those in the back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    At Northern Arizona? Or Pittsburg? Maybe UCLA. But to me if your strength is offensive rebounding then shoot it before you lose it. Perry is better on put backs that posting up. shit put Him at the free throw line and run a high post.

vCash
    Can anyone tell me the last time we were satisfied with a coach after about two seasons?
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I'm satisfied with Leach and he hasn't coached a game yet. Some coaches have t some don't....Howland used too not now.

vCash
    I've argued about this till I'm blue in the face. I have not spoken to a real person (meaning the fans I am friends with that I speak to, text with, etc.) that wants any part of Ben Howland moving forward. There's obviously some on the board that are cool with being average at best. But as far as my circle is concerned, he needs to be fired or told to retire.

vCash
    Well... I don't know any of my friends that want to replace Howland. And that doesn't equal wanting to be average. This idea that getting rid of Howland would be an upgrade is one that I just don't believe is worth the risk.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    At Northern Arizona? Or Pittsburg? Maybe UCLA. But to me if your strength is offensive rebounding then shoot it before you lose it. Perry is better on put backs that posting up. shit put Him at the free throw line and run a high post.
    My point is that at neither of his previous stops did he pull out a zone defense or a full court trapping press or a high low offensive concept or a shoot quick type offense to utilize a rebounding advantage. He basically just "let em do what they do" and he did have good talent who meshed and played well together. I have seen nothing yet from him that makes me believe that he knows how to attack a 1-3-1 press yet.My opinion of this season is that he (howland) predetermined Perry to be the hero this season and it has blown up in his face due to excellent Defensive coaching and film study by our opponents.