Thread: Tony Hughes knows

vCash

Tony Hughes knows

Taken from an article in today's CL.

"Hughes said it takes time for new coaches to build that trust. It also takes time for them to understand the different nuances of different regions within the state.

Folks from the Delta have different personalities than those from the Jackson metro area. Folks from the coast aren't necessarily peas in a pod with those from north Mississippi."

Gotta laugh at this quote. Never been called a Coast Rat until I went to State.

vCash
    That is very true. Very, very glad we have him on staff.

vCash
    There is four very distinct regions in this state.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    You got that right....the Miss delta has the weirdest culture I have ever lived.

vCash
    Having lived 20+ years on the Coast, 11 years in the Delta, 6 years in Natchez, 6 years in Starkville, and 3 years in Jackson...

I couldn't agree with Coach Hughes more. (Hughes has also lived in almost every part of this state. He was my 12th Grade history teacher, in 1987-88.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    You got that right....the Miss delta has the weirdest culture I have ever lived.
    What did you find weird about it? So Northeast Ms, the Delta, the Jackson metro, and the coast are the 4 region I would assume.

vCash
    I can't really explain it the Delta is a shithole and when you drive down the last hill from Winona into Greenwood the mentality of people changes immensely. I lived in Greenville for 5 years I moved from there to Wyoming/Montana boarder and it was liked being released from prison.

vCash
    99JC you hung with the lower caste.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    While you are mostly right, I'd take it a bit further...
    From my experiences, I'd say more than that. And most of these, could be even more classified.

1) Metro Jackson - Hinds, Madison, Rankin.
    2) Gulf Coast - 3 coastal counties, and even they are different from each other. Most diverse area of the state, due to the transient nature.
    3) Southwest - Vicksburg (could almost be included, culturally, in the Delta), Natchez, McComb, Brookhaven
    4) Delta
    5) Pine Belt - Hattiesburg, Laurel, south to the Gulf Coast
    6) East Central - Meridian, Philadelphia
    7) Northeast - Tupelo, Corinth
    8) Metro Memphis extended
    9) I-55 corridor - North of Madison County

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    99JC you hung with the lower caste.
    That?s what I?m thinking, the only way to do the delta is to get cozy with some of the big wig farmers and some of the plaintiff lawyers over here. Dispatches from Pluto is a good book breaking down the culture of the Delta and it?s peoples.

vCash
    I've always thought it was more like three: The Coast, The Delta, and everywhere else.

vCash
    It really could be five. The extreme Northeastern counties are more Tn/ NW Alabama than they are Mississippi. They even have their own accent. My wife can pick them out as soon as they open their mouth.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastratdog View Post
    Taken from an article in today's CL.

"Hughes said it takes time for new coaches to build that trust. It also takes time for them to understand the different nuances of different regions within the state.

Folks from the Delta have different personalities than those from the Jackson metro area. Folks from the coast aren't necessarily peas in a pod with those from north Mississippi."

Gotta laugh at this quote. Never been called a Coast Rat until I went to State.
    Oh you were, you just didnt know it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    100%. I?ve lived on the Coast, pinebelt, and golden triangle. I?ve visited and met numerous people from the delta. It?s like a cult. They think it?s the best place in the world, when in reality it?s like a third world country. Really odd group in the delta.

vCash
    It really could be five. The extreme Northeastern counties are more Tn/ NW Alabama than they are Mississippi. They even have their own accent. My wife can pick them out as soon as they open their mouth.
    You could be right.... when I (from Tishomingo county, as far NE as it gets) was at State in the late 90's my friends that were from various other parts of the state would go on and on about my accent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 32 Dive View Post
    While you are mostly right, I'd take it a bit further...
    From my experiences, I'd say more than that. And most of these, could be even more classified.

1) Metro Jackson - Hinds, Madison, Rankin.
    2) Gulf Coast - 3 coastal counties, and even they are different from each other. Most diverse area of the state, due to the transient nature.
    3) Southwest - Vicksburg (could almost be included, culturally, in the Delta), Natchez, McComb, Brookhaven
    4) Delta
    5) Pine Belt - Hattiesburg, Laurel, south to the Gulf Coast
    6) East Central - Meridian, Philadelphia
    7) Northeast - Tupelo, Corinth
    8) Metro Memphis extended
    9) I-55 corridor - North of Madison County
    I agree and I would add 10) the city of Jackson as a separate area from the metro.