Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTH is wrong with our WBB team???

vCash
    Some of you are just 17ing stupid! You know who you are. To even question the best coach in the history of msu sports shows what ignorant bastards lurk here. Vic has stated he is trying so many combinations to try to find a consistent lineup. We are in a bit of a funk since SC but I think we get that out of our system by the NCAA tourney. 23-4 eat shit and die you negative miserable losers. Now back to my Crown Royal. That is all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    LMAO

vCash
    Team is two years away from really good.

vCash
    If you listened to Vic, you would know that he admits to having trouble figuring out the rotations for this group. This is a young group that is overachieving in some ways. He believes that this group will win the national championship one day...but not this year. We can all see what they can do individually. He knows what they are not doing. If you sit on that end of the Hump you can hear very clearly who is not covering their proper opponent or who is in the wrong place as a play is run. These are in-game quotes. I am leaving out the names, but you can fill in the freshman of your choice (….., just who are you covering. I wish ….. would just cover somebody. ….. what play did you think we were running.). I think Vic can be as stubborn as any coach, about emphasizing defense over offense or running a zone, but I have seen the improvement in Carter and Jackson (in just a few months). I believe we will have our shot again at the national championship in the next two years.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Dawgs win! I'm laughing out loud at most of y'all, as always.
    The truth is, if Auburn didn't go ice cold in the 3rd and 4th we lose that game. Sure we ratched up the defense, and Bibby was on the bench, but they missed 4-5 wide open looks and turned the ball over down the stretch and they still forced OT.

OP asked what was wrong with our team. We have fell in love with the dribble drive action. We do not take open shots when they are there against a zone. Its like we do not practice it enough. Hence all the stupid turnovers unforced when a zone is sitting there.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    The truth is, if Auburn didn't go ice cold in the 3rd and 4th we lose that game. Sure we ratched up the defense, and Bibby was on the bench, but they missed 4-5 wide open looks and turned the ball over down the stretch and they still forced OT.

OP asked what was wrong with our team. We have fell in love with the dribble drive action. We do not take open shots when they are there against a zone. Its like we do not practice it enough. Hence all the stupid turnovers unforced when a zone is sitting there.
    The truth is if we hadn't went cold in the 4th with a 9 point lead against South Carolina we would have won that game. We can make hypotheticals for every game that is played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Some of you are just 17ing stupid! You know who you are. To even question the best coach in the history of msu sports shows what ignorant bastards lurk here. Vic has stated he is trying so many combinations to try to find a consistent lineup. We are in a bit of a funk since SC but I think we get that out of our system by the NCAA tourney. 23-4 eat shit and die you negative miserable losers. Now back to my Crown Royal. That is all.
    Yea, last few seasons in every sport has lead me to conclude our fans are right on par with everyone else.....dumb as a box of hammers.

Only thing I can conclude is that most people don't grow up playing these games or understand the concept that other teams are not as bad as we'd like to believe.

vCash
    We're a young team that's a sweet 16 team. I'll take that in a rebuilding year.
    But this team isn't close to the last few teams we've had. Next couple years will be great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Hunter needs to be on floor period. She is a good 3 pt shooter. She hasn't gotten enough minutes to get in any kinda groove this year.
    She has been, but she is struggling this year. And she's taking almost 3/game, it's not like she isn't ever able to shoot. The people we need shooting more from behind the line right now are Rickea Jackson, Wiggins, and Matharu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    She has been, but she is struggling this year. And she's taking almost 3/game, it's not like she isn't ever able to shoot. The people we need shooting more from behind the line right now are Rickea Jackson, Wiggins, and Matharu.
    They all feel the pressure as does Vic, they all need to relax and have fun. Sometimes you can see the frustration, the expectations for a young and inexperience team is showing right now. The one thing we all can see, they never quit and play hard.
    Should be a very interesting game Sunday against the Aggies, they have talent.

vCash
    No Danberry or Taylor at the end and we looked like we couldn't dribble the ball at the end of regulation. Excellent job by Vic and the players to still be able to adjust and win in OT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post

If one of the worst shooting teams in the league doesn?t go 9-12 from three in the first three quarters then we win by double digits. They built a big lead because they were uncharacteristically hot. Once they cooled down, we outscored them by 21 in the last quarter and a half plus OT.

vCash
    Matharu doesn't get many minutes at all.

And something has happened to the chemistry of this group, most notably, AEH and Bibby don't seem to be as chummy as they were last couple of years....

vCash
    FIRE VIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of yall are true idiots

vCash
    BTW, to answer the OP.....nothing. Nothing is wrong with our WBB team.

vCash
    BTW, to answer the OP.....nothing. Nothing is wrong with our WBB team.
    I wouldn't say that. They have definite problems. Starting off, they're a TERRIBLE man to man team. Doesn't seem like anyone outside of Danberry and sometimes Taylor can keep anyone in front of them. Now, a lot of that may have to do with youth, but I don't remember other teams being this bad man to man this late in the season. Now, I don't know that we were that good man to man last year either but McGowan masked a lot of problems defensively. Secondly, the lack of shooters. I don't know that we have anyone on the team who can consistently knock down open looks from 3. I don't know what's happened to Hunter, but she'll make one and then miss 8. Bibby hasn't been the same since the injury and I don't know that she ever will be what she was before it. We just don't have that player like Johnson or Scott who were solid 3 and D players. Lastly, in this seems to be the most concerning, we can't seem to get a rotation out there that clicks. That's one thing that Schaefer has always done well. He's always been able to find 5 players that gelled well together on the court. It doesn't seem like we can find 2 or 3 this year and I don't think that's on Schaefer. We just don't have a lot of players that complement each others skill set. I think that goes back to not having shooters.

I think they'll figure it out and be better next year, but they'll be fortunate to make it out of the Round of 32 this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    There is a LOT of sports ignorance in this thread.
    i always come here the next day after a game to laugh at these people. I get tickled at some of the dumbass comments they make during the game and then the girls pull out a victory in the end. Lots of basketball knowledge here. NOT !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Matharu doesn't get many minutes at all.

And something has happened to the chemistry of this group, most notably, AEH and Bibby don't seem to be as chummy as they were last couple of years....
    Matharu isn’t a good enough defender yet. But she can explode on offense but isn’t consistent there either yet. Freshman

vCash
    our problem was -we kept bailing them out by fouling them--defend without fouling--most of their shots wouldn't have gone in the basket. But we couldn't stop putting them on the line --where they didn't miss. Then in OT we lost our 2 best guards because they made stupid fouls.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    The truth is if we hadn't went cold in the 4th with a 9 point lead against South Carolina we would have won that game. We can make hypotheticals for every game that is played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We're a young team that's a sweet 16 team. I'll take that in a rebuilding year.
    But this team isn't close to the last few teams we've had. Next couple years will be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    If one of the worst shooting teams in the league doesn?t go 9-12 from three in the first three quarters then we win by double digits. They built a big lead because they were uncharacteristically hot. Once they cooled down, we outscored them by 21 in the last quarter and a half plus OT.
    I absolutely agree that we are going to be fantastic in 2 years. This year is definitely a transition year and Chloe's injury is still impacting our team's execution on both ends of the floor. She is a warrior for fighting to get back to game form.
    As far as the what if scenarios, this is my take. Sure if Auburn didn't come out on fire, we win this in the 2nd quarter. But also realize that it is amazing how often our team runs into the "hot" shooting team. There is an underlining issue with this that says more about us than it does about the other team. When we put the effort in on defense, we forced them to stop doing what was killing us. That is great coaching and great execution by our staff starting with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd. It is completely reasonable to question Vic on why didn't we make that adjustment during the 2nd quarter. Sometimes you need the extended break at halftime to get it adjusted correctly, but also we came out in the 3rd and continued to stay off of their shooters and not switching correctly on defense. So rather than play the what if both directions, how about we realize that the reason they were getting wide ass open 3s for about 28 minutes of the game is two fold. 1, we were playing just terrible help defense. 2, their zone totally took us out of our style of play.

Now onto the zone we are going to see for the rest of the season and probably will see forever more. We look absolutely garbage against the zone. We force bad shots and even worse bad passes. I think we had something like 15 unforced turnovers facing a half court zone. I mean, Vic is going to have to switch it up earlier in the game. He did shift our attack in the 4th and we started to take those open 3 looks when we were probing the perimeter. I want Wiggins and Jackson looking to drive and kick, but if they are doing a good job at closing the lane, then we have to pull up and make long jumpers when they are open. For 30 minutes last night, we passed up open three looks for a long contested 2 just inside the 3pt line. Just take the open look just outside the three line. I trust our players can make open looks versus the long 2. Bad long shots lead to easy buckets more often than not, and you typically are not going to out rebound a team with 5 players with one foot in the paint.

So we need to develop a new offensive system when they are denying the dribble drive offense. If they do not limit the dribble drive offense, we will smoke pretty much anyone. That is also why we will see 1-2-2- and 2-3 zone from here on out, every possession. Like last night, we will be competitive, but our margin of victory will go way down and we could lose to good teams in this scenario. We basically pretty much got owned by a 3-12 team last night and KY and aTm under these circumstances for 3 quarters.

Just my 2 cents.
    Downvotes_Hype