Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know it has been said before, but..,

vCash
    Same exact crap happened last year. We were a damn 5 seed in the tournament but our fair weather fans stopped caring after we lost to ole miss at home even though we went in to Oxford and beat them. It?s just sad and pathetic at this point. I?m so sick of seeing the same excuses that show a complete lack of knowledge about basketball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    NC State is a much better team than OM. Not even close. That win may have put NC State in the tournament as well. Duke is getting in regardless. The loss to OM is the type of head scratching loss that just may be the tipping point between us getting in the tournament or just playing the NIT.

Msstate7, if it was Georgia or Vanderbilt that we lost to by 25 points I'd be saying the same thing. It's just the extra icing on the cake that it had to be the other bottom dweller OM.

Mississippi State football last year was the hardest time I've ever had watching a Mississippi State sport. This basketball team under Howland while somehow managing to keep it's head above the water is extremely difficult to watch more times than not. Player effort is hit and miss and it's another coaching problem.
    So which is worse - our loss to Ole Miss our Auburn's lossing by 10 to UGA? I'm saying Auburn.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    God almighty, we really do just care about OM. That loss was bad, but guess what, it's one loss. We are 5th in the sec, 1 game back from being in a 4-way tie for 2nd. I really think our fanbase would trade the last 2 good wins for an OM win
    I?ve been saying it for a while. It?s the only thing that matters to our fans.

Good teams lose to bad teams in college basketball. It happens all the time- UK/ Evansville, Duke/ SFA. It happens. We can make the NIT every year and just beat OM twice and everyone is satisfied. Stansbury floated for several years at the end of his tenure doing just that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JPdog View Post
    Same exact crap happened last year. We were a damn 5 seed in the tournament but our fair weather fans stopped caring after we lost to ole miss at home even though we went in to Oxford and beat them. It?s just sad and pathetic at this point. I?m so sick of seeing the same excuses that show a complete lack of knowledge about basketball
    Yep. Didn?t matter that the OM player performed the most egregious walking no call of all time. The ?We better beat Ole Piss!? crowd didn?t care. Only thing that mattered all season

vCash
    I think there's just a lot of anger that we might miss the tournament b/c we crapped the bed at OM among a few other bad losses.

Talent wise this is a clear NCAA team, one capable of of maybe even a sweet 16 but we are much more painful to watch than a lot of other tourney teams. I get the comparison to other SEC programs b/c the SEC as a whole seems really low on basketball IQ. It's simply not fundamentally sound, pretty team basketball. Lots of great athletes, but can be hard to watch in stretches. I think a lot of it is because the players don't really study the game much and most had very very little fundamentals taught as they developed as AAU tournaments are basically the equivalent of NBA All-Star games.

Paul said he got to interview Post and one of his comments was how different the game was in the SEC to Euroleague. Not as many assist, more 1-on-1.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    I think there's just a lot of anger that we might miss the tournament b/c we crapped the bed at OM among a few other bad losses.

Talent wise this is a clear NCAA team, one capable of of maybe even a sweet 16 but we are much more painful to watch than a lot of other tourney teams. I get the comparison to other SEC programs b/c the SEC as a whole seems really low on basketball IQ. It's simply not fundamentally sound, pretty team basketball. Lots of great athletes, but can be hard to watch in stretches. I think a lot of it is because the players don't really study the game much and most had very very little fundamentals taught as they developed as AAU tournaments are basically the equivalent of NBA All-Star games.

Paul said he got to interview Post and one of his comments was how different the game was in the SEC to Euroleague. Not as many assist, more 1-on-1.
    A lot of this is valid, but there's still 3 weeks left in the season. Why would anyone get mad about missing the tournament when we haven't missed the tournament yet? The truth is the OM loss didn't hurt us near as bad as the LT loss, and neither of those losses were as impactful as LSU and Oklahaoma. The quad 1/2 losses don't hurt you near as much as the quad 1 wins help.

vCash
    Agree - still a decent chance we make it, I just think most fans see the product at times and can't fathom that we'd win enough now to make it happen. I've still got a tad of faith left though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    We need to learn the Stansbury stall.
    I don't know about that but I would be glad to have Stansbury come back and teach our team some inbound plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Yep. Didn?t matter that the OM player performed the most egregious walking no call of all time. The ?We better beat Ole Piss!? crowd didn?t care. Only thing that mattered all season
    It was actually a triple dribble with an SEC ref looking right at him. SEC officiating, it just means less.

vCash
    If we don?t make the tournament it won?t be because of a loss at Ole Miss. I get the frustration of that game but it?s time to move on. It will most likely be because we don?t have enough quad 1 wins. I may be in the minority here but I would rather win at Columbia and get another quad 1 win if it meant losing to Ole Miss or Bama again. We need at least one more of those badly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    If we don?t make the tournament it won?t be because of a loss at Ole Miss. I get the frustration of that game but it?s time to move on. It will most likely be because we don?t have enough quad 1 wins. I may be in the minority here but I would rather win at Columbia and get another quad 1 win if it meant losing to Ole Miss or Bama again. We need at least one more of those badly.
    If we finished out 4-1 and made the tournament but the one loss was to Ole Miss. That would still be all that mattered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I don't know about that but I would be glad to have Stansbury come back and teach our team some inbound plays.
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but Stans was the absolute worst at beating a press in the last 2 minutes of a game that I have ever seen as this level! Bar none!!!