Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know it has been said before, but..,

vCash

I know it has been said before, but..,

Watching that last 2 minutes, this has got to be the dumbest basketball team in the league.
    And what is worse, they keep doing it.

vCash
    Yeah, that was tough to watch.

vCash
    I get the frustration, but I think this may just be a product of the sport this day in age. I mean we are 17-9. Probably 75% of teams in our league, if you were equally invested in them, would make you want to vomit half the game.

I don't remember basketball under Stansbury being as frustrating to watch for some reason, but its probably just recency bias.

vCash
    8-2 in last 10 sec games. Seems we keep winning

vCash
    So in your 10 total posts, you have two stating the same derogatory remarks? Congrats!

This was a huge win for our team. Homecourt advantage is totally not a factor for MSU basketball. It's beyond ludicrous. Even the refs are in favor of the visiting team. I've never seen anything like it, and then we have the troll-like comments here just making it worse. USCe is a really good team. They showed it with the way the increased pressure and made a nice attempt the end of the game.

Ado is slowly morphing into a solid contributor offensively, Nick made some dumb passes but led the team in scoring, Reggie is getting frustrated more so may have something to do with his dad being there which rarely happens, DJ is becoming a monster, etc. I am pleased with the win. Yes, it was ugly at the end but they held on.

vCash
    Bottom line is we are winning, I watched Ky against Lsu the other night and same thing happened to them.

I will take Ugly and winning in any Msu sport everyday. Teams like SC are not gonna quit, officials were a little "iffy" down the stretch.

vCash
    We have to do something about our in bounds against pressure. We looked totally out of sync last night and that wasn't the first time this year we've looked out of sync in those situations. It's like we can't seem to understand that you're going to have to screen to get people open. Now, tonight the refs didn't help us by letting USCe mug us until either we turned it over or they decided to call a foul if it was convenient for them. I've never been to a game where the last minute took 20 minutes in real time.

vCash
    We need to learn the Stansbury stall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    So in your 10 total posts, you have two stating the same derogatory remarks? Congrats!

This was a huge win for our team. Homecourt advantage is totally not a factor for MSU basketball. It's beyond ludicrous. Even the refs are in favor of the visiting team. I've never seen anything like it, and then we have the troll-like comments here just making it worse. USCe is a really good team. They showed it with the way the increased pressure and made a nice attempt the end of the game.

Ado is slowly morphing into a solid contributor offensively, Nick made some dumb passes but led the team in scoring, Reggie is getting frustrated more so may have something to do with his dad being there which rarely happens, DJ is becoming a monster, etc. I am pleased with the win. Yes, it was ugly at the end but they held on.
    Very True!!!
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Which makes it so amazing. Rather be lucky than good, because that was not good basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

vCash
    With a 25 point beating by our 13-13 in state rival which happens to also be one the worst teams statistically in the nation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I get the frustration, but I think this may just be a product of the sport this day in age. I mean we are 17-9. Probably 75% of teams in our league, if you were equally invested in them, would make you want to vomit half the game.

I don't remember basketball under Stansbury being as frustrating to watch for some reason, but its probably just recency bias.
    Yea, definitely recency bias. I can remember just how bad Stansbury teams were against a zone. A lot of the same issues people are complaining about now were happening under Stans as well.

I actually see quite a few similarities between Howland and Stans to an extent. Both were/are solid recruiters and both had teams that struggled at times while looking like a really good team other times. There were also lapses in effort under Stans as well.

Results haven't been all that different since Howland turned the program back in the right direction after the Ray debacle. Teams have been about the same as Stans teams IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    With a 25 point beating by our 13-13 in state rival which happens to also be one the worst teams statistically in the nation.
    God almighty, we really do just care about OM. That loss was bad, but guess what, it's one loss. We are 5th in the sec, 1 game back from being in a 4-way tie for 2nd. I really think our fanbase would trade the last 2 good wins for an OM win

vCash
    If you watch college basketball outside of Mississippi State at all, you would see that almost every team has the same issues that Mississippi State is having with decision making and performance in the clutch. There are very few programs like Gonzaga where it seems that everyone is well coached, and a lot of that is because Gonzaga is a developmental program. Those players have been coached and have grown with the team. They don’t get a lot of one and done guys.

AAU basketball doesn’t prepare these kids to play team ball or defense at any level, and it takes time to coach the bad AAU habits out of these guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    AAU basketball doesn’t prepare these kids to play team ball or defense at any level, and it takes time to coach the bad AAU habits out of these guys.
    Ding ding ding

This is why basketball IQ is so low

vCash
    #6 Duke lost to an instate rival by 22 last night. It happens. Get over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    If you watch college basketball outside of Mississippi State at all, you would see that almost every team has the same issues that Mississippi State is having with decision making and performance in the clutch. There are very few programs like Gonzaga where it seems that everyone is well coached, and a lot of that is because Gonzaga is a developmental program. Those players have been coached and have grown with the team. They don’t get a lot of one and done guys.

My middle son plays AAU in Memphis and his younger brother starts this year. I've watched a lot of it from ages 10 up to 17. All it is now is a game of full court press. Who can press the most and get layups off the pressure. Most teams spend a lot of practice time on just pressing - not much skill development at all (if you want that you get a skills coach and work on that individually). And most games are not called (officiating wise) correctly. If they did most players would foul out. It just muggings up and down the court.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    #6 Duke lost to an instate rival by 22 last night. It happens. Get over it.
    NC State is a much better team than OM. Not even close. That win may have put NC State in the tournament as well. Duke is getting in regardless. The loss to OM is the type of head scratching loss that just may be the tipping point between us getting in the tournament or just playing the NIT.

Msstate7, if it was Georgia or Vanderbilt that we lost to by 25 points I'd be saying the same thing. It's just the extra icing on the cake that it had to be the other bottom dweller OM.

Mississippi State football last year was the hardest time I've ever had watching a Mississippi State sport. This basketball team under Howland while somehow managing to keep it's head above the water is extremely difficult to watch more times than not. Player effort is hit and miss and it's another coaching problem.

vCash
    NC State is a much better team than OM. Not even close. That win may have put NC State in the tournament as well. Duke is getting in regardless. The loss to OM is the type of head scratching loss that just may be the tipping point between us getting in the tournament or just playing the NIT.

Msstate7, if it was Georgia or Vanderbilt that we lost to by 25 points I'd be saying the same thing. It's just the extra icing on the cake that it had to be the other bottom dweller OM.

Mississippi State football last year was the hardest time I've ever had watching a Mississippi State sport. This basketball team under Howland while somehow managing to keep it's head above the water is extremely difficult to watch more times than not. Player effort is hit and miss and it's another coaching problem.
    This entire take is rooted in emotion and not a lick of fact. No shit NC State is better than OM, but Duke is better than us. Duke is 6th in NET and NC State is 52nd (a difference of 46 spots). State is 50th in NET and OM is 86th (a difference of 36 spots). The NC State upset was FAR more unlikely. Football ended up with a sub .500 record. This basketball team is winning almost 2/3rds of the time. If you don't like college basketball, that's fine. Just say that but don't try to shit on the team without some basis of fact.

vCash
    God almighty, we really do just care about OM. That loss was bad, but guess what, it's one loss. We are 5th in the sec, 1 game back from being in a 4-way tie for 2nd. I really think our fanbase would trade the last 2 good wins for an OM win
    Most would which is crazy.