Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Ginn?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    And make him shut it down almost the entire off season. Arm mechanics are very difficult to correct once you have been pitching for 8-10 years. Either you have the type of arm movement that can literally pitch every other day or you don't. Some guys, even as young high school players can sling it 100 pitches and be good to throw it around after a days rest. When I was younger I ran into a few of these guys. After I pitched, I couldn't lift a milk jug with my right arm for about two days.

MLB guys are fully matured physically, have trained their bodies to handle 4 days rest after pitching 100+ an outing, and some have the genetics needed to just bypass those arm issues.

Seems to me, when I was younger I wouldn't touch a baseball for 5 months after the season. Busy playing different sports, doing different types of motions and different types of damage to my body. Players are too specialized these days. Heck, I would pitch a game and then get pulled and switch places with the shortstop or 3rd baseman and keep going.
    Downvotes_Hype

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    son of a !%#*. I was really hoping he would come in and everything go smoothly for 2 years then he would get drafted #1 overall for our benefit and his. I was hoping it would show that kids can go to college and end up in a better spot in 2 years. He is really jinxed. I hope he gets well soon and is able to finish the season out on a high note.

vCash
    I'm sure JT is extremely disappointed. A guy that forego's that kind of money to come to State definitely wants to help us win. It's not his fault that his arm just won't stay healthy. I'm sure he's doing everything possible to try to make sure it does, but sometimes shit happens. Can't blame him, parents or coaches in this case...it's just bad luck. I hope the best for him, and I am so grateful he chose State. Really feel bad for the kid, because he will feel guilty no matter how far we go if we don't win it all...bc that was his plan when he came here. I just hope his arm heals and he has a killer pro career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'm sure JT is extremely disappointed. A guy that forego's that kind of money to come to State definitely wants to help us win. It's not his fault that his arm just won't stay healthy. I'm sure he's doing everything possible to try to make sure it does, but sometimes shit happens. Can't blame him, parents or coaches in this case...it's just bad luck. I hope the best for him, and I am so grateful he chose State. Really feel bad for the kid, because he will feel guilty no matter how far we go if we don't win it all...bc that was his plan when he came here. I just hope his arm heals and he has a killer pro career.
    Great post, CD.

vCash
    Hell, we need to pass the hat around until we come up with enough to offset whatever signing bonus he loses. Dude took a big risk to play for us and anyone disparaging him needs to check themselves.

I remember back during his junior and senior years there was debate here about where he would be drafted based solely on his arm action and effort. Unfortunately those concerns are real. Pray things work out.

vCash
    Hell, we need to pass the hat around until we come up with enough to offset whatever signing bonus he loses. Dude took a big risk to play for us and anyone disparaging him needs to check themselves.

I remember back during his junior and senior years there was debate here about where he would be drafted based solely on his arm action and effort. Unfortunately those concerns are real. Pray things work out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Good post. It just sucks that these situations never seem to work out for us.

Malik Newman
    Ginn

I guess Jeffrey Simmons worked out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Yeah, how is that possible?

How is it that a MLB pitchers body seems to magically heal up so much faster than a college pitcher? It cant be age; even 30+ year old MLB guys do it and a 21 year olds body bounces back quicker. And it cant be that College pitchers haven't had enough time with high quality programs, because even 23 year old Srs from top programs can't recover like MLB guys.

I fundamentally dont get it
    It is possible because it becomes a job. 24/7 365 baseball baseball baseball. They are getting coached by the best guys in the business. Their trainers and strength guys are the best in their particular field focusing on baseball players. The support staff around those guys is tremendous.

I was amazed at how much I didn't know going from college to Pro ball as far as taking care of my body etc. It is just a completely different thing from college to pro ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Good post. It just sucks that these situations never seem to work out for us.

Malik Newman
    Ginn

I guess Jeffrey Simmons worked out.
    Chris Jones
    Reggie perry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post

I'm sure there is considerable insurance in play here. If you turn down 2.5 million, you get insurance on that asset. I wonder if the insurance pays if there is no tear or surgery though?

vCash
    IF he has to have surgery- he will most likely still be a Bulldog in 2022. His career is not over
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    IF he has to have surgery- he will most likely still be a Bulldog in 2022. His career is not over
    From what it sounds like, it's nothing so bad that wouldn't allow him to come back in a month or two. But it's just a matter of him and his family taking that chance. And I get it, it's a tough decision to make.

But if he wants to have a pro career, he's got to pitch. He jumped in the water. We can all speculate what he should've done out of high school, but he's in now. So all he can do is swim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    But if he wants to have a pro career, he's got to pitch. He jumped in the water. We can all speculate what he should've done out of high school, but he's in now. So all he can do is swim.
    This

Not pitching and going high in the draft is not an option.

If he wants to make good money on the draft, he's got to pitch for MSU.

I could see him taking this year off and pitching for MSU next year, but just taking the year off and expecting someone to pay him 7 figured Isnt realistic

vCash
    This

I could see him taking this year off and pitching for MSU next year, but just taking the year off and expecting someone to pay him 7 figured Isnt realistic
    Drew Rassmussen of Oregon State only pitched 37 innings in final year before being drafted as a #1. This was 2017.

Rassmussen was their closer until he felt stronger and started games towards the end of the year. I know there is a huge difference between pitching 37 innings inclusive of Omaha to just 3 innings vs Wright State. But conceptually, he could rest and come back for the last 10 SEC series and then the Road to Omaha. That would match Rassmussen.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe....asp?ID=188180

vCash
    This

Absolutely. He's kind of in a Catch 22 situation but there is little that can be done about it at this juncture except get whatever it is fixed and go out and pitch. Whenever that may be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    From what it sounds like, it's nothing so bad that wouldn't allow him to come back in a month or two. But it's just a matter of him and his family taking that chance. And I get it, it's a tough decision to make.

If Ginn agrees to come back then he needs to be our closer. An inning won't overwork his arm and we still get to have him in pressure situations. Also, shores up the closer issue.

vCash
    Well Ginn did turn down top draft money to play at Msu, no reason he want continue his journey at Msu.
    I wish him all the best and pray he gets his money and a chance in MLB.

It's baseball, pitchers are kinda like running backs in football, most are short lived at the next level.

vCash
    I'm not sure why Ginn wasn't a bullpen guy to begin with. Was it just because he was a 3-pitch guy? Someone said he never threw a ton of innings in HS. Why make him a starter? Did someone drop the ball on evaluation?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I'm not sure why Ginn wasn't a bullpen guy to begin with. Was it just because he was a 3-pitch guy? Someone said he never threw a ton of innings in HS. Why make him a starter? Did someone drop the ball on evaluation?
    MLB doesn't pay big money or draft pitchers early to be closers. You have to be a starter to get the big check, that's why they did it.

vCash
    He has the insurance they give but I have no idea how that works.