Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Ginn?

vCash
    If there is no tear but he still shuts it down- he will sink like a rock in the draft. Which means he should return to college. MLB drafts pitchers to f'ing pitch.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    MLB drafts pitchers to f'ing pitch.
    This

I had a conversation with a Major League pitching coach recently & asked him the main difference between Major League pitchers & pitchers at most power SEC programs.

His answer, " These guys can go when I need them. 2 days a week, 3 days a week, even 4 sometimes. They can take the ball & go."

There you have it.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This

I had a conversation with a Major League pitching coach recently & asked him the main difference between Major League pitchers & pitchers at most power SEC programs.

His answer, " These guys can go when I need them. 2 days a week, 3 days a week, even 4 sometimes. They can take the ball & go."

There you have it.
    Yeah, how is that possible?

How is it that a MLB pitchers body seems to magically heal up so much faster than a college pitcher? It cant be age; even 30+ year old MLB guys do it and a 21 year olds body bounces back quicker. And it cant be that College pitchers haven't had enough time with high quality programs, because even 23 year old Srs from top programs can't recover like MLB guys.

I fundamentally dont get it

vCash
    For you pitching experts, how does JT get that hard sink and run? Is he rolling his wrist over or is it simply from pressure with the fingers? If ya’ll think back, Bobby Reed had a hard sinker and was almost unhittable as a freshman but tore his elbow up. I know a guy who pitched in the majors for a short time. He threw slow frisbees to the plate but hurt his elbow, came back with much less movement and was out of the game because he wasn’t effective anymore.

I rambled but could the problem be the hard movement that JT is creating?

vCash
    Good lord. We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post

How is it that a MLB pitchers body seems to magically heal up so much faster than a college pitcher? It cant be age; even 30+ year old MLB guys do it and a 21 year olds body bounces back quicker. And it cant be that College pitchers haven't had enough time with high quality programs, because even 23 year old Srs from top programs can't recover like MLB guys.

Because the MLB pitchers are genetically built like that. They're different animals than you, I, and most MLB pitchers.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 02-19-2020 at 09:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    For you pitching experts, how does JT get that hard sink and run? Is he rolling his wrist over or is it simply from pressure with the fingers? If ya’ll think back, Bobby Reed had a hard sinker and was almost unhittable as a freshman but tore his elbow up. I know a guy who pitched in the majors for a short time. He threw slow frisbees to the plate but hurt his elbow, came back with much less movement and was out of the game because he wasn’t effective anymore.

I rambled but could the problem be the hard movement that JT is creating?
    No. It's created by how he naturally throws. Low spin rate, 2-seam, and 11/5 rotation on the ball

vCash
    I hope he can get better and he is dominant when healthy. He is a competitor on the mound too.

That said, he is in a bad spot. Mlb won't be drafting someone that has health questions. And he has battled inflammation for what appears to be a second year. Who knows the next path...but I hope he chooses the one best for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    They thought it was UCL but there is no tear but I still dont expect him to ever pitch for us again
    Me either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Good lord. We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!
    Harry....I took care of it***

vCash
    What I don’t get is the few hating on him. He is a fantastic pitcher who we really need. Hope he gets better

vCash
    Someone really close with Ginn just confirmed to me that he is most likely shutting the season down.

vCash
    He has never felt he was above the program. I dont know anything concrete I just heard UCL earlier today, then MRI but no tear and back for SEC play.
    I have/had a UCL. It was the damndest thing.... some days I could throw all day and things were fine, some days after 15-20 throws my elbow hurt like a SOB and there was no working around it. I did figure out that the more over the top I throw the better, the closer I got to 3/4 it hurt much more.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    To me it's simple, if he's 100% healthy, pitch.

If not, shut it down.

We have been extremely careful with JT. Way more careful than Corbin with Kumar.

You have to throw a lot as a pitcher to build a base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks a tiny spark has fueled a huge fire? Maybe the rumor is true and maybe it's not but damn man typical gloom State waiting on the bad takes a little one liner and runs with it and turns it into JT is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    What I don’t get is the few hating on him. He is a fantastic pitcher who we really need. Hope he gets better
    I get that impression too. I wish him the best as a #1 pick in June and I’m ok with just shutting him down and just moving on. Thanks for the good Freshman season.

Im only jealous that Vandy has (always has) a super man ACE and we have to roll into Omaha with gamers like Payton Plumlee, Jon Harden, Jake Billingsley, and Ross Mitchell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post

A player that is 28 is more physically mature than a 21 year old. If you look at a typical MLB player that's 30 years old and you stand them next to a SEC player you're going to tell a difference right off the bat with the eye test. Unless it's Bartolo Colon. Plus MLB guys are used to and conditioned to throw longer- which happens over time. We don't pay attention to that as MSU fans because we see college and MLB. We don't see the development and progression that goes on in the minor leagues. In college they only pitch once a week if they are a starting pitcher and the college season is only 56 games during the regular season and if you add the postseason around six-maybe twenty games depending on how far your team goes above that which is still less than half of a MLB season even if your team goes all the way through Omaha and plays for the National Title.

A guy that plays for the M-Braves or Shuckers is throwing probably every 5-6 days and they're going at least 100 pitches usually unless they are getting shelled and they're building up their endurance for MLB if they get a chance to make it.

And MLB has changed a lot too over the years. They used to have four man rotations and some teams have thrown around the idea of even a six man rotation. They're not going too much over 100 pitches a start themselves nowadays. And honestly- some of them maybe even most have had arm trouble in college or the pros at some point in time.

And here's an example- Justin Verlander led MLB with 34 games started last year. A SEC guy is going to start 20-21 starts if they go deep in the postseason.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 02-19-2020 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    Hearing he may not pitch again as a bulldog and that is from rankin county. Tough deal for a kid who turned down almost 4.5 mil. I had heard he would be back for SEC play but I just dont think the family will risk it. I know you know, and its perfectly fine if you dont want to disclose it. I dont know the family but I know people who do
    Yeah it's a tough situation Bucky. They love the game of baseball and I'm hoping and praying for the best for JT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I get that impression too. I wish him the best as a #1 pick in June and I’m ok with just shutting him down and just moving on. Thanks for the good Freshman season.

Im only jealous that Vandy has (always has) a super man ACE and we have to roll into Omaha with gamers like Payton Plumlee, Jon Harden, Jake Billingsley, and Ross Mitchell.
    The thing about it is to get guys like that we need a guy like a JT Ginn to do well here. I definitely get the frustration because I share it too.

Banned
    vCash
    Good luck to Mr Glass in MLB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

Very low likelihood that he can just shut it down all year and be a first round pick in June. Best of luck to him either way though. We have babied him to death since he's been on campus and if he's still got an arm injury then there just wasn't any way to prevent it. Only thing we might could have done differently would have been to make him a closer to really reduce his innings pitched.