Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Ginn?

vCash
    The bottom line is, the arm is not meant to make a throwing motion, and the harder you throw the more that is true. It helps to throw less, but you are still eventually going to go down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep, exactly! And it's true that some don't throw enough and therefore the arm is conditioned enough when it comes time to "stretch it out". It's a fine line between to much and not enough.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

vCash
    All I can say is that if you were a pitcher for his high school coach, you were going to have arm problems after high school. He’s known for pushing the pitch count with his stud pitchers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm no expert but the biggest problem I see is way to much "travel ball" for pitchers. They pitch all year long now days and it starts way before they are developed in the muscle structure.
    That's not near as big of a issue as it's been made.

The bigger issue is that the #1 correlation to getting swing and miss is velocity and and #2 is strikes.

So pitchers are throwing harder than ever and the human body for most folks wasn't built for that.

The human body is a car built to go 92 mph. When guys get over that, the injury rate goes up.

It's the price of poker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    What about breaking pitches though? Kids used to wait until HS before the learn a curveball and now it's 12 and 13 year olds doing it.
    I don't think breaking pitches are a big deal unless guys throw too many of them in one outing.

Learn to pitch up in the strike zone with your fastball and tunnel a breaking ball or change up off of it with the same arm speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think breaking pitches are a big deal unless guys throw too many of them in one outing.

Learn to pitch up in the strike zone with your fastball and tunnel a breaking ball or change up off of it with the same arm speed.
    Agreed

vCash
    Well there’s truth to it. Hopefully just soreness and nothing serious. https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/...903460865?s=21

vCash
    [QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1232788]That's not near as big of a issue as it's been made.

Hmmmm, maybe not to you.

vCash
    I've been dragged back into coaching baseball after a 15 year break- and considering coaches are money whores- it is what it is. But I'm pretty good at what I do- and attack my job aggressively but keep the kid's future in mind. Here is what I do with my arms as Pitching Coach:

We 4 seam up in the zone and 2 seam down in the zone.
    I teach the standard 90-degree, 12-6 curveball- must be in the 9th grade to throw it (14 years old and up). Not all kids can throw it well tho due to stiff wrists or arm slot.
    I will not teach the slider as it torques the elbow too much- I teach the Cutter instead
    We find them a 3rd pitch whether its a change, split-finger FB, or knuckleball
    I stress legs, legs, legs in the weightroom and on the Bump
    I adjust pitch counts to the kid's frame and age.
    WE ice after every bullpen or outing. The problem is that your top pitcher's usually play SS or other infield position- so they need to throw more often. My Ace ices 5 days a week after practice.

Most HS coaches in today's game are doing this type of stuff with their pitchers. So stop digging at HS coaches- some kids just wear down quicker or threw too much before their HS coach started working with them. Wear and tear is wear and tear
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I like for my guys to throw every day. Not pitch every day but throw every day. And have the full body in condition to handle the stress. Occasionally we’d have a sore arm but nothing major. And we had all kinds of kinds throwing for us.

Then one day a dad decides his son needs a more “fine tuned” throwing program. He begins weighted balls etc. I voiced my concern but let it play out. Well since this kid was doing the new fancy throwing program some other dads decided they wanted to go that route...within 2 years every kid that has done weighted balls has either missed a full season of pitching/had surgery.

This has zilch to do with Ginn and is geared more toward the discussion of maximizing velocity isn’t always the best route. Common sense and experience solves a lot...and then some guys are going to have issues either way. Nature of the beast...butch Thompson has some great incite and expertise in this area and is a joy to listen to for pitching and general baseball guys alike

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I'm hearing just inflammation same as last year. This is after the B'ham trip. I could be wrong but the source I trust 100%.
    Then just call it a bulldog career and let him wait to the draft. Just inflammation and thats that. Get drafted #1. We add another #1 pick to program history.

One pitcher is not going win you an NC or even guarantee you an LSU series. We need to a program with six big arms. 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 2 freshman that can be weekend starters.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 02-19-2020 at 08:51 PM.

vCash
    That's not near as big of a issue as it's been made.

The bigger issue is that the #1 correlation to getting swing and miss is velocity and and #2 is strikes.

So pitchers are throwing harder than ever and the human body for most folks wasn't built for that.

The human body is a car built to go 92 mph. When guys get over that, the injury rate goes up.

It's the price of poker.
    It's WAY bigger deal than has been made of it, esp for pitchers. Ask any Doc that works in the field.

vCash

Commerce

Hearing he may not pitch again as a bulldog and that is from rankin county. Tough deal for a kid who turned down almost 4.5 mil. I had heard he would be back for SEC play but I just dont think the family will risk it. I know you know, and its perfectly fine if you dont want to disclose it. I dont know the family but I know people who do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You don?t go to BHam for a 2nd opinion. You go for confirmation and to schedule surgery.
    They thought it was UCL but there is no tear but I still dont expect him to ever pitch for us again

vCash
    Well he's already gotten a year of the MSU college baseball atmosphere and a trip to Omaha out of the deal. I would hate to lose him but he's got to do what's best for him. At this point though he will likely have to have a procedure to change anything. My understanding was he didn't even pitch during the offseason and if he is already have arm issues again after the first weekend it doesn't sound like his arm is ever going to get right on its own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    They thought it was UCL but there is no tear but I still dont expect him to ever pitch for us again
    Me either.

vCash
    Hopefully this isn't true. If it is, I can't imagine him getting the same offer he did out of HS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Hearing he may not pitch again as a bulldog and that is from rankin county. Tough deal for a kid who turned down almost 4.5 mil. I had heard he would be back for SEC play but I just dont think the family will risk it. I know you know, and its perfectly fine if you dont want to disclose it. I dont know the family but I know people who do
    Honestly, he should've never come to school if this was the intention.

I understand the situation but if you feel that you'll need to be put above the program, you probably shouldn't have come to begin with.

Additionally, if he's out for the season, I don't know how he makes much money on the draft. He needs to pitch at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hopefully this isn't true. If it is, I can't imagine him getting the same offer he did out of HS
    Not even close unless he pitches and produces.

vCash
    Honestly, he should've never come to school if this was the intention.

I understand the situation but if you feel that you'll need to be put above the program, you probably shouldn't have come to begin with.

Additionally, if he's out for the season, I don't know how he makes much money on the draft. He needs to pitch at some point.
    He has never felt he was above the program. I dont know anything concrete I just heard UCL earlier today, then MRI but no tear and back for SEC play.