Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rumor re. 1st Game

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I guess it doesn't for those who don't have to work for a living. I can't take off 6 days every time MSU plays. Not to mention taking two trips in one week can get expensive.

I can live with it just making observation it has pros and cons.
    First, who said anything about taking 6 days off every game. This is 1 game, its a holiday weekend, and it is the home opener with Mike Leach as HBC. So if you work a normal job, you only have to take off Thursday and Friday and your not expected to be back at work until Tuesday.

Note: I live in Starkville, so I am going to be partying balls out that entire week, either way, but I would rather play prime time Thursday versus 11 a.m. - 2:30 pm start time on Saturday.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I'm not super wild about playing on Thursday but I get it after having to sit through USM and K-State last year. Doesn't totally surprise me that the MSU would push for that given the complaints last year about heat and the fact that it's Leach's first game. As MSU fans we just need to accept that we are going to do gimmicky things from time to time like this and playing the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving. I can do a Thursday game once every 5-10 years though and especially if it's not a conference game. About ten years ago we played way too many games on Thursday and honestly it was a little over the top at that time. As long as we don't go back to that I can deal with this fine. I just wish MSU would throw us a bone and give us an interlocking MSU helmet once a game instead of the LT forced M-State logo. And I wish they would quit blowing smoke up our ass about marketing and branding when people get us mixed up with Ole Miss even more than ever it seems like. Rant over about that.

I'll say this before someone posts the "aren't you overreacting" posts- I did like playing in NOLA last year to open the season. It gave us essentially another neutral at best/home game in addition to the seven home games we have currently. What sucks is it would be nice if Jackson had a functioning game day experience at the Vet- which yes, is a dump but I could tolerate us playing a game with a Sun Belt team there as a one off- not at the expense of a home game in Starkville of course- as opposed to going to freaking Troy, Alabama. But I get why we don't and won't- parking and traffic flow is atrocious there. They wouldn't be able to handle the 60K that would probably go. I'd almost want an 11 AM game so I could get home by 10 PM that night with the traffic situation. Of course Jackson has more pressing issues than a neutral site MSU football game at the moment too.

Anyway- I do give Cohen kudos for hiring Leach and Leach bringing in Arnett. That has me real excited and I think it's a Jackie type hire and maybe/probably even more high profile. I saw a thing on Twitter where Leach was hanging out with Willie Nelson. The football coach for MSU was hanging out with a country music legend. THAT is going to be better marketing than any Thursday, neutral site, special uniform, LT logo, etc. than anything. I'll trade a Thursday night game for what I think is coming which is a lot of fun and memorable football days ahead.

vCash
    If we're going to play shitty OOC games, it might as well be on a Thursday night.

vCash
    I like it for the first game but into the season just say no to Thursday games.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I find it interesting everyone assumes we would be the 11am game that Saturday. But.... none the less .... the bold is why I will make a decision to not attend based on the convenience and comfort of me and me alone. College football and Mississippi State have whored themselves to tv and shoe companies. The school will do what tv and adidas tells them to do and the fans be damn.

Maybe folks from PullMan to miami will tune Into this game. But John State fan for 3 hours or more away will be put out. Starkville businesses will probably suffer a few lost dollars. But..... TV writes the biggest check. That's what is important.
    Well unless you decide to just eat your tickets and not sell them, there will be plenty of people willing to take your spot at the game. Being game 1 of the Leach era people are going to show up in larger numbers, especially for a night game.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    No way will it be better for the vast majority involved as for most fans it will require taking a full 2 days off from work (if you want to do any pre-game tailgating). Fans that really want to be there will make it work and it is definitely more enjoyable on a Thursday night rather than a hot September Saturday afternoon but no way will this not be a big inconvenience for most fans. And its not just about work, what are parents who come to the game that bring their school age kids supposed to do? Pull their kids out of school for 2 days? There will be a number of fans that want to be there for the opening of the Leach regime that can't make it on a Thursday night. College football was made for Saturday for a reason.
    There will be no less tailgating on Thursday than there would be for an 11 am game on a Saturday.

vCash
    Just win the first 4 and then see what time slot the A&M games gets on TV. problem solved. EMCC could beat N Mexico and we'd be better suited playing a team that might actually bring a crowd with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    Just win the first 4 and then see what time slot the A&M games gets on TV. problem solved. EMCC could beat N Mexico and we'd be better suited playing a team that might actually bring a crowd with them.
    If we win our first four that game is going to be crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Any day of the week night game in Sept >>>>>>>>>>than any day game on Saturday in Mississippi

Sucks for some for will be better for some... Those that do go will enjoy themselves much more!
    Last edited by Hot Rock; 02-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Well unless you decide to just eat your tickets and not sell them, there will be plenty of people willing to take your spot at the game. Being game 1 of the Leach era people are going to show up in larger numbers, especially for a night game.
    I believe you are right. State fans seem to be excited about Leach. I believe even if it had been played at 11am, the stadium would have been near capacity.