Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor re. 1st Game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Rumor re. 1st Game

Rumor going around SPS that the first football game is going to be a Thursday night game. We'd torpedo attendance if we did this unless it was a late game.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 02-18-2020 at 12:15 PM.

vCash
    I kind of figured since someone floated the How would you feel about New Mexico being on Thursday hypothetical on some MSU message board.

vCash
    I'm ok with it, because a lot of people around the country will watch a new Mike Leach team and nobody is going to that game anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm ok with it, because a lot of people around the country will watch a new Mike Leach team and nobody is going to that game anyway.
    You dont think anyone is going to the first game with Leach?

lol. ok

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    You dont think anyone is going to the first game with Leach?

lol. ok
    IKR... I'm thinking of making the 6 hr trip, even if it's Thurs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    IKR... I'm thinking of making the 6 hr trip, even if it's Thurs!
    If that happens I will certainly consider it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Rumor going around SPS that the first football game is going to be a Thursday night game. We'd torpedo attendance if we did this unless it was a late game.
    Night game on Thursday to start the season >>>>>>>>>>> 11am or 2pm game on Saturday to start the season.

Cooler temps, more time to prep for game 2, more eyes on our new offense, get to binge watch games from home on Saturday without missing the State game. So many benefits.

Most people that can afford to go to the games can figure out a way to take off early on Thursday and/or take off on Friday. It will in no way torpedo attendance and it will be better for the vast majority involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Night game on Thursday to start the season >>>>>>>>>>> 11am or 2pm game on Saturday to start the season.

Cooler temps, more time to prep for game 2, more eyes on our new offense, get to binge watch games from home on Saturday without missing the State game. So many benefits.

Most people that can afford to go to the games can figure out a way to take off early on Thursday and/or take off on Friday. It will in no way torpedo attendance and it will be better for the vast majority involved.
    All of this.

It will be a bit inconvenient for the fans, though attendance shouldn't be bad because of the excitement. However, it will be great for the program and provide a lot of exposure we wouldn't otherwise have received.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

100%. We would be showcasing our new team, new regime, and new attitude on opening night. It is up to us to pack it out. 4 day weekend. Nice.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    No way will it be better for the vast majority involved as for most fans it will require taking a full 2 days off from work (if you want to do any pre-game tailgating). Fans that really want to be there will make it work and it is definitely more enjoyable on a Thursday night rather than a hot September Saturday afternoon but no way will this not be a big inconvenience for most fans. And its not just about work, what are parents who come to the game that bring their school age kids supposed to do? Pull their kids out of school for 2 days? There will be a number of fans that want to be there for the opening of the Leach regime that can't make it on a Thursday night. College football was made for Saturday for a reason.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 02-18-2020 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    No way will it be better for the vast majority involved as for most fans it will require taking a full 2 days off from work (if you want to do any pre-game tailgating). Fans that really want to be there will make it work and it is definitely more enjoyable on a Thursday night rather than a hot September Saturday afternoon but no way will this not be a big inconvenience for most fans. And its not just about work, what are parents who come to the game that bring their school age kids supposed to do? Pull their kids out of school for 2 days? There will be a number of fans that want to be there for the opening of the Leach regime that can't make it on a Thursday night. College football was made for Saturday for a reason.
    Unfortunately, we live in Missi-freakin-sippi. It will be 101 degrees in the shade with old folks passing out 1st Saturday in Sept at 11 or 1pm. And don't kid yourself, TV won't put New Mexico on TV for a prime time evening game.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    There will be no less tailgating on Thursday than there would be for an 11 am game on a Saturday.

vCash
    Well pros and cons. Good exposure but normal fan attendance may suffer. Screws up a long holiday weekend trip to Starkville too. Oh, well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Well pros and cons. Good exposure but normal fan attendance may suffer. Screws up a long holiday weekend trip to Starkville too. Oh, well.
    Doesn't screw up the long weekend trip to Starkville, if anything it gives everyone an excuse to make it longer.
    This also gives you the opportunity to come in Wednesday night, go to the game, stay Thursday, and then go some beach somewhere through Tuesday morning. Double holiday if you will.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Doesn't screw up the long weekend trip to Starkville, if anything it gives everyone an excuse to make it longer.
    This also gives you the opportunity to come in Wednesday night, go to the game, stay Thursday, and then go some beach somewhere through Tuesday morning. Double holiday if you will.
    I guess it doesn't for those who don't have to work for a living. I can't take off 6 days every time MSU plays. Not to mention taking two trips in one week can get expensive.

I can live with it just making observation it has pros and cons.

vCash
    I guess it doesn't for those who don't have to work for a living. I can't take off 6 days every time MSU plays. Not to mention taking two trips in one week can get expensive.

It definitely has pro and cons. I always take off that Friday for the first game so work the next day isn't a factor. But I, like most others, will have to work all day Thursday so the game would need to be after 7 to make sure people are able to get there on time. It also is one less gameday everyone gets to tailgate. Also, I don't think it'll be a sellout if it's on a Thursday night. You'll have 50-55K, but most families with school age children aren't taking the family to a Thursday night football game with school the next day. There's definite pros to it, such as being the only marquee game for the day, your coaches can recruit on Friday, and you get an extra days rest for NC State. But to pretend there's not definite drawbacks to playing this on a Thursday is foolish.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It definitely has pro and cons. I always take off that Friday for the first game so work the next day isn't a factor. But I, like most others, will have to work all day Thursday so the game would need to be after 7 to make sure people are able to get there on time. It also is one less gameday everyone gets to tailgate. Also, I don't think it'll be a sellout if it's on a Thursday night. You'll have 50-55K, but most families with school age children aren't taking the family to a Thursday night football game with school the next day. There's definite pros to it, such as being the only marquee game for the day, your coaches can recruit on Friday, and you get an extra days rest for NC State. But to pretend there's not definite drawbacks to playing this on a Thursday is foolish.
    There are drawbacks for certain individuals. There are no drawbacks for the school. The crowd will be larger for a longer period of time than it would be on a Saturday in early September at 11 am.

vCash
    The best thing about a Thurs. night game. The Student section will be FULL and ROWDY!! The ENTIRE GAME!!

Sign me up. I live 1.5 hours away but can leave work early.

Coach Leach's debut in Maroon! It can't get here fast enough!

vCash

First, who said anything about taking 6 days off every game. This is 1 game, its a holiday weekend, and it is the home opener with Mike Leach as HBC. So if you work a normal job, you only have to take off Thursday and Friday and your not expected to be back at work until Tuesday.

Note: I live in Starkville, so I am going to be partying balls out that entire week, either way, but I would rather play prime time Thursday versus 11 a.m. - 2:30 pm start time on Saturday.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Yes please