Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball opening week thoughts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    When it comes to Ginn. I think a great outcome is that MSU-Lemonis develop a reputation as a great place for your top-5 round high-school pitcher to develop. If we start collecting 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round players that want to develop into 1st rounders, we are going to be consistent NC contender and play in Omaha 8 to 10 times per decade. Basically, like LSU. We want parents and Scott Boras parking 2 Brady Singers every year, something like that. .
    No doubt about that- BUT- your Friday guy sets the tone for the weekend. Pitches 1 time per week. By March- you should be able to count on him for about 100 pitches per outing. I just dont see us getting that from Ginn. Hope we do
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    If Ginn signed with MLB out of high school, the signing bonus is the only money he'd ever see. He just physically doesn't have it, IMO. Todd mentioned Rocker, Just look at the 2. Big difference in physical stature alone!

vCash
    My question is whether or not we are taking it easy with him because we fear his arm won't hold up otherwise. Like, are we concerned about his arm? Because if not, we are definitely not doing his draft prospects a service by taking it so easy with him. And if so, I'm not sure it helps him or us to pitch him consistently but in small spurts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    The two freshman catchers (UM and MSU) from the coast played well this weekend - tanner George County and Dunhurst PRC
    Hayden Dunhurst is just hard down good. Seen him play since he was 12.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDority View Post
    If Ginn signed with MLB out of high school, the signing bonus is the only money he'd ever see. He just physically doesn't have it, IMO. Todd mentioned Rocker, Just look at the 2. Big difference in physical stature alone!
    That sounds a little harsh IMO. I'm thinking Ginn's not 100% and that's why his pitch count is where it is for now and I trust our coaching staff to handle it correctly. Not understanding why they don't take Todd's advice for now and maybe move him to Sunday but that's there call for now to have him throw Friday's. I was at the game on a cold light rainy night last year and he dominated T.Tech.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    That sounds a little harsh IMO. I'm thinking Ginn's not 100% and that's why his pitch count is where it is for now and I trust our coaching staff to handle it correctly. Not understanding why they don't take Todd's advice for now and maybe move him to Sunday but that's there call for now to have him throw Friday's. I was at the game on a cold light rainy night last year and he dominated T.Tech.
    Not trying to be harsh, just telling the truth, "the way I see it". 5'11 200#, vs. 6'4'' 230# One throws complete games one can't go more than 5.

vCash
    Latest Mocks have JT anywhere from 8th overall, to 20th. Y'all need to chill. He'll be fine.

He didn't pitch more than 40 pitches this fall. We are slowly bringing him a long. The goal is to get him to 80 pitches by the time SEC play starts. The most I see JT going is 100 pitches in SEC play.

He did have several minor injuries last year, but nothing serious. No reason to risk injury in February. Winning it all in Omaha is the goal, not pitching 7 innings in week 1.

vCash
    I told you Logan Tanner is going to win the job several weeks ago. He's got more talent than any catcher we've had in a very long time.

Hopefully he can adjust to SEC pitching quickly. He's already got an MLB caliber arm.

Banned
    vCash
    Not trying to be harsh, just telling the truth, "the way I see it". 5'11 200#, vs. 6'4'' 230# One throws complete games one can't go more than 5.
    Hail State lists him at 6-2 , 200 lbs

Season: 2019: Became the second Mississippi State freshman and 17th Diamond Dawg (24 occasions) to reach the 100-strikeout mark in a single season

Season: Started 17 games on the mound...Ranked No. 2 on the team in wins (8) and strikeouts (105)...Earned a win in each of his first six career starts,

Started State’s final game in Omaha. vs. Louisville (6/20): Threw six shutout innings in a no decision...Allowed three hits, walked one and struck out two.

https://hailstate.com/sports/basebal...r/jt-ginn/5756

Maybe give him a chance to get back to 100% before giving up on him?

vCash
    I think the concern with Ginn is that we heard whispers last year about potential health concerns that led us to be cautious....now we're hearing the same things.

vCash
    I had a fellow high school coach tell me about Ginn during his senior year. I posted it on here and got hammered for not having a clue...well it was dead nut on.

The kid is an elite talent but there is some sort of physical hurdle he is trying to get over. I hope he gets there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    I had a fellow high school coach tell me about Ginn during his senior year. I posted it on here and got hammered for not having a clue...well it was dead nut on.

The kid is an elite talent but there is some sort of physical hurdle he is trying to get over. I hope he gets there
    Perhaps it's more of a mental hurdle than physical?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Perhaps it's more of a mental hurdle than physical?
    Could be. But what was told to me that I posted, when everyone was clamoring that Ginn was 97-98 off the mound, was that he sat consistently 88-92 and could reach back and hit 94 at times. But that he’s never had to go all out for any length of time and this coach was skeptical and interested in whether he would hold up.

Based on that I’d say it’s physical but there definitely could be a mental aspect to it as well...after all, 90% of the game is half mental

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Could be. But what was told to me that I posted, when everyone was clamoring that Ginn was 97-98 off the mound, was that he sat consistently 88-92 and could reach back and hit 94 at times. But that he’s never had to go all out for any length of time and this coach was skeptical and interested in whether he would hold up.

Based on that I’d say it’s physical but there definitely could be a mental aspect to it as well...after all, 90% of the game is half mental
    LOL, ok Yogi, ***

vCash
    NM

vCash
    Hail State lists him at 6-2 , 200 lbs

Season: 2019: Became the second Mississippi State freshman and 17th Diamond Dawg (24 occasions) to reach the 100-strikeout mark in a single season

Season: Started 17 games on the mound...Ranked No. 2 on the team in wins (8) and strikeouts (105)...Earned a win in each of his first six career starts,

Started State’s final game in Omaha. vs. Louisville (6/20): Threw six shutout innings in a no decision...Allowed three hits, walked one and struck out two.

https://hailstate.com/sports/basebal...r/jt-ginn/5756

Maybe give him a chance to get back to 100% before giving up on him?
    If he's 6'2 I'm not even real!

Banned
    vCash
    If he's 6'2 I'm not even real!
    so what?

vCash
    so what?
    He's actually right, JT, barefoot measured at 6'1 7/8", lol.

vCash
    Somewhat agree. Ginn hasn't showed me anything yet. Good but not great (not Friday starter good).

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hmmm, this is a tough situation in my thinking, not saying you are wrong but maybe there are things going on with Ginn and his health that we don't know. I think it was great he chose Msu over the draft, I hope for Ginn and family it all works out, from what I've been told he is a good kid with a great family.
    Pitchers and the draft are different than everyday players making decisions, pitchers in today's era pitch way too much as a kid, go back 50 years or more they didn't play baseball all year round! I am not a big fun of all this "travel ball", but it ain't going away and I think parents put so much pressure on kids and some dreams are not realistic. Just my opinion. I could have never played just one sport, I played them all in my day but I did get burned out by Dad taking me to the ball field hitting grounders and pitching to me when I was young. I did continue playing but in my high school you could only play one spring sport, I ran track. Oh how thing have changed.
    I'm sure he's a great kid from a great family. Glad to have him on board. I just hope that there is not an issue if and when he has to be moved down in the rotation because we can't have a Friday night pitcher going 3 innings every week. The bullpen has to be preserved. I'm sure it will all work out. We have rich people problems at the moment.