Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still alive. Show up Wednesday!

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash

I wish our fans would just say ?I don?t like men?s basketball?

That would make it a lot easier to swallow. It really comes down to our fans directly comparing the men to the women. That?s where the phrases like ? this team doesn?t show effort? come from. The men and the women aren?t playing the same game so comparing them is really a futile effort. Making the elite 8 in women?s is about the same as making the tournament in general in men?s. The competition in the women?s game really just isn?t as broad.

Also, all our fans really care about is beating ole miss. That?s all that matters to them, and it?s pretty easy to see that if you take a look back at the entire board going apeshit on Tuesday night. It was A bad loss but it?s just one game. Yesterday was a war in Bud Walton and our guys deserve a ton of credit for a huge road win. We have also beaten Arkansas 6 in a row now. That has never happened in the history of our basketball program.

Home court advantage probably has more of an impact on basketball than any other sport. The fans can change the game in a tough atmosphere and we continually make excuses like Ari listed. If you don?t like basketball that?s one thing, but don?t make excuses to not attend and then later bash the team and coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    That would make it a lot easier to swallow. It really comes down to our fans directly comparing the men to the women. That?s where the phrases like ? this team doesn?t show effort? come from. The men and the women aren?t playing the same game so comparing them is really a futile effort. Making the elite 8 in women?s is about the same as making the tournament in general in men?s. The competition in the women?s game really just isn?t as broad.

Also, all our fans really care about is beating ole miss. That?s all that matters to them, and it?s pretty easy to see that if you take a look back at the entire board going apeshit on Tuesday night. It was A bad loss but it?s just one game. Yesterday was a war in Bud Walton and our guys deserve a ton of credit for a huge road win. We have also beaten Arkansas 6 in a row now. That has never happened in the history of our basketball program.

Home court advantage probably has more of an impact on basketball than any other sport. The fans can change the game in a tough atmosphere and we continually make excuses like Ari listed. If you don?t like basketball that?s one thing, but don?t make excuses to not attend and then later bash the team and coach.
    I couldn’t have said it better myself..
    Mother ****ing spot on post..
    if anyone thinks our guys didn’t play with effort and play their ass off yesterday in a must win on the road at an extremely tough place to play then just stop watching men’s hoops.. it will make things much easier on you and greatly appreciative to those of us who know Mens basketball and actually enjoy it..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    LM put it best. And no... one tourney appearance with no wins is not building it. The culture and the effort shown have not built it. Needs more than that to get a packed house in the middle of nowhere mississippi. Namely not losing / showing minimal care against the other team in Mississippi.

Be mad at me for the truth all you want, but it's reality. This team doesn't inspire people to drive 2-3 hours on a weeknight to watch them. Hell they don't inspire most to dedicate 2 hours of a day to them. Hard to value the jersey name when the ones wearing it don't seem to respect it or take pride in it themselves.

Do more basketball like the first 30-35 minutes of yesterday (before ref ball and our old iso offense made a sudden reappearance to close the gap) consistently and it will naturally happen.
    If you don?t think those guys play with effort every second of every game than you are freaking blind.

Part of the issue is our fanbase has an awful basketball IQ, like horrible and hate men?s basketball because they are too stupid to understand it. Which is why they use the effort or disorganized argument, when it isn?t disorganized at all. They are just too dumb to understand the speed of the game.

We have the freaking likely SEC POY, quick complaining because you can?t understand the game. Show up and maybe try to learn.

Oh and I?ll use your BS ?they hate me for telling the truth? line you used like a 12 year old girl.

vCash
    LM put it best. And no... one tourney appearance with no wins is not building it. The culture and the effort shown have not built it. Needs more than that to get a packed house in the middle of nowhere mississippi. Namely not losing / showing minimal care against the other team in Mississippi.

Be mad at me for the truth all you want, but it's reality. This team doesn't inspire people to drive 2-3 hours on a weeknight to watch them. Hell they don't inspire most to dedicate 2 hours of a day to them. Hard to value the jersey name when the ones wearing it don't seem to respect it or take pride in it themselves.

Do more basketball like the first 30-35 minutes of yesterday (before ref ball and our old iso offense made a sudden reappearance to close the gap) consistently and it will naturally happen.
    The culture and effort?? Holy shit . Did you see the culture the last few years of Stands . And then RR was basically Croom. Ben took over shit.. I really dont understand why he came here to be honest..

Dont value the name of the jersey ?? Is this post suppose to be from 2010?. You dont think Ado busts his ass more than any other player in the league..
    Yeah maybe Perry is a diva, and all the guys arent best friends .but Name me a teams that night-in- night out plays lights out..
    I guess Aub fans are questioning their teams desire this morning.. Fire Bruce Pearl..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    12-6 gets us in
    We would finish 4th in the league And a double bye in the tourney
    This is one of those years where we might need a win or two in the SEC tourney more than a double bye. We had a bunch of those under Stans.

While it is tougher to win the SEC tournament having to play more games, having 23 wins after beating two bad teams in the SEC tournament vs only 21 wins with a double bye might help our NCAA tourney chances.

vCash
    Oh and I’m still waiting on someone to post a pre season SEC ranking and prediction that had us higher than 6th. And I only saw one that had us 6th..

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

I don't think that's an accurate or fair statement to make when our fans point out a lack of 100% effort and showing no intestinal fortitude at times during this season. Not one ED'er was not liking / loving what we did yesterday.

I understand what you are saying in that the women's field is not as extensive as the men's therefore it's easier to rack up more wins. But at the end of the day, the women give a higher % of effort than the men and can compete much better with elite teams than the men. Howland took over a mess and has made us better than what we were before he got here. Without any stats or proof to back it up I would say that our men's program at least had SOME history that came with it but Vic had to start from the ground up taking over a program that had NO history.

I think it is inaccurate to say all our fans care about is beating ole miss as we just fired a coach with back to back egg bowls and nearly 100% of ED'ers were on board with that change. We had every right to go ape shit over Tue night even though Kermit has his team playing Tourney Quality Hoops of late. A competitive loss should have been the very LEAST we should have expected.

Whose not giving our team credit for yesterday's battle? Even though some bitched about blowing a big lead, I don't think anyone is bitching to any significant degree.

Consistent toughness and 100% effort will solve attendance issues. The roller coaster shit is in dire need of being straightened out.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    I don't think that's an accurate or fair statement to make when our fans point out a lack of 100% effort and showing no intestinal fortitude at times during this season. Not one ED'er was not liking / loving what we did yesterday.

I understand what you are saying in that the women's field is not as extensive as the men's therefore it's easier to rack up more wins. But at the end of the day, the women give a higher % of effort than the men and can compete much better with elite teams than the men. Howland took over a mess and has made us better than what we were before he got here. Without any stats or proof to back it up I would say that our men's program at least had SOME history that came with it but Vic had to start from the ground up taking over a program that had NO history.

I think it is inaccurate to say all our fans care about is beating ole miss as we just fired a coach with back to back egg bowls and nearly 100% of ED'ers were on board with that change. We had every right to go ape shit over Tue night even though Kermit has his team playing Tourney Quality Hoops of late. A competitive loss should have been the very LEAST we should have expected.

Whose not giving our team credit for yesterday's battle? Even though some bitched about blowing a big lead, I don't think anyone is bitching to any significant degree.

Consistent toughness and 100% effort will solve attendance issues. The roller coaster shit is in dire need of being straightened out.
    There are a lot of posters in yesterday?s game thread that wrote things like ? good win but...? We find any way possible to put this team down.

Our men?s team has no history. We have been to the tournament 11 times in a 100 year plus tome period. That isn?t good. Yes we mad a final four run on the 90s but in reality that doesn?t give you a winning history. I doubt anyone would say that George Mason has a rich basketball history on a national level however they have a final 4 as well.

There is a definite reason why our fans should have been upset after the ole miss game. We got stomped and really let down in the second half. We had a bad game- it happens. Oklahoma state beat ole miss by 40 earlier in the season. If we get blown out by anyone else it?s just a bad game on our part, but since it was ole miss this board went into complete melt down mode. ?We could have hired Kermit!? ?Kermit would kill for this talent!?. Change the 17ing record. Kermit is a .500 coach at the head of a team that?s not making the NCAA tournament unless they win the SECT. Also, our last home game against ole miss will be BY FAR the most crowded home game of the year despite everyone claiming ?Its baseball season now?. BOOK IT

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    If you don?t think those guys play with effort every second of every game than you are freaking blind.

Part of the issue is our fanbase has an awful basketball IQ, like horrible and hate men?s basketball because they are too stupid to understand it. Which is why they use the effort or disorganized argument, when it isn?t disorganized at all. They are just too dumb to understand the speed of the game.

We have the freaking likely SEC POY, quick complaining because you can?t understand the game. Show up and maybe try to learn.

Oh and I?ll use your BS ?they hate me for telling the truth? line you used like a 12 year old girl.
    Sorry to break it to you but the speed of the game is the same all game, every game. So explain to me the 5-10 minute stretches of utterly sloppy, lazy play every game. Yesterday we went up by 17, and instead of clamping down and finishing them off, we got complacent, and let our guard down. Boom3-4 turnovers and some bad shot selections/offensive sets when we did not turn it over, and we were struggling to keep up and win.

Not sure what speed has anything to do with the lack of mental toughness, focus, or whatever you want to call it. It doesn?t take James Naismith to recognize effort and basketball IQ.

The reason people get so frustrated is this team has shown how great it can be, but we only get a peek here and there, before we revert back to the middle of the pack results on the court. Just no killer instinct.

vCash
    That is where the disconnect going from high school/aau ball to D1 basketball. Most of these guys were by far the best player on their high school team and were allowed basically to just get a basket when they wanted it by going one on one with a defender. Nick struggles with this more than anyone on this current team and is evidenced by him making foolish fouls immediately after a turn over where he was basically out of control. Ben has always been a " let em do what they do" type coach as evidenced by the basic defense his teams play. He is doing about what I expected in all honesty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but the speed of the game is the same all game, every game. So explain to me the 5-10 minute stretches of utterly sloppy, lazy play every game. Yesterday we went up by 17, and instead of clamping down and finishing them off, we got complacent, and let our guard down. Boom3-4 turnovers and some bad shot selections/offensive sets when we did not turn it over, and we were struggling to keep up and win.

Not sure what speed has anything to do with the lack of mental toughness, focus, or whatever you want to call it. It doesn?t take James Naismith to recognize effort and basketball IQ.

The reason people get so frustrated is this team has shown how great it can be, but we only get a peek here and there, before we revert back to the middle of the pack results on the court. Just no killer instinct.

Every basketball coach in America would love the answer to the question..
    explain why there is sloppy play every 5-10 minutes of each game.. because EVERY coach , and team goes thru this game to game.. How many times have you heard a visiting coach say at his winning presser we knew they were going to make a run ...
    I’m sure Arky fans would love to know why they didn’t play perfect basketball for approx 30 minutes of the game yesterday..

vCash
    Other than Jones, the hogs have nobody who should worry a quality team. We are still way too much helter and not enough skelter. I still don't understand why he uses Perry 30' from the basket as much as he does.

vCash
    Won't be there and won't watch. Will do exactly like yesterday and maybe hear of it afterwards.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post

Every second? Every game?

Man even if I give you yesterday (which had a stupid iso ball period) I only have to go back 1 game to disprove that statement.

Poor basketball IQ? You've got Mr. Entourage here acting like nothing is wrong with the makeup of this team or their strategy. We don't have a true PG and our offense runs better when the guy who is dubbed the PG isn't the one controlling it. But nah it's everyone else who has a bad iq. LMFAO. Bro we got killed by a ****ing 1-3-1 zone because we did the same strategy that our women's were stupidly doing against it. (Walking two people up into the traps and passing back and forth.) Everyone knows you can set screen on either of the 1s in that zone to shut it down and get a man open. But we refused. But again it's the fans complaining that have bad basketball iq. ������

Too dumb to understand the speed of the game? Bro we have it in neutral on offense. There's hardly any off ball motion to create things. Let alone good passing off that motion. Like that's hilariously comically stupid.

All I learn from watching them is how shitty aau ball teaches kids. That iso crap works against high schoolers but not when every kid was best on their team.

And Ari. Did you ever stop to think and wonder that those preseason rankings took into account that we don't have the best X's and O's coaching? That they know to factor that in. We have one of the best rosters talent wise in the league. But it isn't coached well.

But hey, this coach can recruit better than the last guys so let's forgive his stagnant offense. (It's amazing y'all think people want him fired. I want the offense better tuned and to actually have life. He can hire someone to help with that and still recruit ya know.)

And again, it's the sad reality of the state of Mississippi that in most sports winning the state trophy is almost better than winning the conference trophy. The second thing seems unattainable so we strive for the first one above all else as fans. (Not all of us, but way more than any of us like to admit. And it goes the same for oxfart too.) Hell we kept a coach we were for sure firing because of a 1-point win over them. It took a national embarrassment and complete shitshow showing at a bowl game for us to reverse that.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Lord McBuckethead;1232102]Well, if we show up and cheer the wsy we are supposed to, they will lode. They have lost literally evertime the crowd has shown up for the psst 9 years.[/QUOTE

Boy sure seems that way. I only get to a few basketball games a year and it had been several years since I had witnessed a home win until the UT game this year. I'm glad we won that day, I don't think I could handle another horrible loss at home; I've seem a bunch of them; guess I just have picked the wrong games to go to.

That said, I will not be there Wed and we can still make a run at the tourney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    Other than Jones, the hogs have nobody who should worry a quality team. We are still way too much helter and not enough skelter. I still don't understand why he uses Perry 30' from the basket as much as he does.
    Agree with that too, when are at our best when Perry (and Ado for that matter) stay within 10ft of basket. I'm OK due to his range Perry venturing out 4-5 times a game but that is it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    He is 62
    Pearl is 59
    Cailpari is 61
    Kermit is 60
    And they're all - fat. Especially Pearl.

vCash
    Every second? Every game?

Man even if I give you yesterday (which had a stupid iso ball period) I only have to go back 1 game to disprove that statement.

Poor basketball IQ? You've got Mr. Entourage here acting like nothing is wrong with the makeup of this team or their strategy. We don't have a true PG and our offense runs better when the guy who is dubbed the PG isn't the one controlling it. But nah it's everyone else who has a bad iq. LMFAO. Bro we got killed by a ****ing 1-3-1 zone because we did the same strategy that our women's were stupidly doing against it. (Walking two people up into the traps and passing back and forth.) Everyone knows you can set screen on either of the 1s in that zone to shut it down and get a man open. But we refused. But again it's the fans complaining that have bad basketball iq. ������

Too dumb to understand the speed of the game? Bro we have it in neutral on offense. There's hardly any off ball motion to create things. Let alone good passing off that motion. Like that's hilariously comically stupid.

All I learn from watching them is how shitty aau ball teaches kids. That iso crap works against high schoolers but not when every kid was best on their team.

And Ari. Did you ever stop to think and wonder that those preseason rankings took into account that we don't have the best X's and O's coaching? That they know to factor that in. We have one of the best rosters talent wise in the league. But it isn't coached well.

But hey, this coach can recruit better than the last guys so let's forgive his stagnant offense. (It's amazing y'all think people want him fired. I want the offense better tuned and to actually have life. He can hire someone to help with that and still recruit ya know.)

And again, it's the sad reality of the state of Mississippi that in most sports winning the state trophy is almost better than winning the conference trophy. The second thing seems unattainable so we strive for the first one above all else as fans. (Not all of us, but way more than any of us like to admit. And it goes the same for oxfart too.) Hell we kept a coach we were for sure firing because of a 1-point win over them. It took a national embarrassment and complete shitshow showing at a bowl game for us to reverse that.
    So the reason no one had us ranked in the top 5 is because they all think Howland is a bad coach..
    That’s what you are going with ??. And I rest my case on the lack of basketball intelligence...

Scoring offense 7th
    Fg % 2nd ...
    3 point % 4th ..

Agree AAU isnt good for college hoops but unless you want to recruit on a USM level you have to get these kids

I guess Fla and USC should have called you up on how to attach that OM defense. And last time I checked they are 4-8.. but Kermit tho...

And at no point have I Mr. Entourage have every said the chemistry is great in fact I have stated the opposite before.. but after CBH made the move to bring Tyson off the bench we have gone 7-2 in league play ..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    And they're all - fat. Especially Pearl.

Agree.. I was just making a point that everyone says the game has passed CBH... he is basically same age as these guys

Banned
    vCash
    Great stats Ari. They really help drive home my point actually. Mississippi State is dead last in the SEC in turnover differential. We turn it over 2.2 times more per game than we cause. Good for 319th best in the nation! Really help explain that we have talented players who can shoot and score (good shot %s) but still the same time somehow aren't a dominant scoring team (mid pack in ppg). Who would have thought that 14 TOs per game would cause that disparity. I wonder why it is. Is it that we don't value the ball? Bad offensive planning? Not setting our players up for success? They shoot the ball well so what could cause us such issues? You're really close to getting it. Being a real self aware wolf about it though.

As for Kermit, people who think he would have been a better hire are clueless. We wouldn't have near the talent. However, if he didn't have to recruit... you just swapped him and Ben for the season with their rosters? Man I'd have to say we at least have 2 more wins in SEC play. But recruiting is part of coaching which is why I think Ben needs to hire someone to help him design some sets on offense and relinquish some control of that. Sometimes a coach needs new blood under him to reinvigorate the creative genes.

My point was people can see how we've been coached and how we play that the roster wasn't designed to have a fluid functioning offense this year. Plenty of talent, but no good conductor going on. Can't win with 5 players, gotta have a team.

OM being 4-8 only adds to the embarrassment of losing to them. That shit shouldn't have happened period. Not sure what point you went for there. That's just adding fuel to the fire of how bad a shit show that was.