Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Arkansas basketball game thread

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    He went to the line at least 6 times on non fouls.
    Yea. At the end of the game the refs were blowing the whistle as soon as he went up for a shot. A few times we weren?t even close enough to smell him. Reminds me of that girl from South Carolina a couple years ago. Every time she went up a foul was called, no matter what.

Announcers were talking about how many and-1s Jones gets. Would be interesting to see what officiating crews are working and how many he has with each crew. Has to be some evidentiary trends.

The jump ball call on Carter was about a bad of a call as you?ll see. Ark player never even touched the ball until after the whistle and both were on the ground.

Eta. Not complaining about officiating. Just pointing out facts. It should not have come down to that. The lazy, sloppy stretch we had about 9 min left, let Arkansas back in the game. Slow passes from carter, uncontrolled dribbling and flat out laziness contributed to 3-4 turnovers that erased the 17 pt lead. Most were with Nick W in the game.

Someone please do a +/- with Nick in and out of the game and send to Howland.
    Last edited by RougeDawg; 02-15-2020 at 04:34 PM.

vCash
    That was a big win. You always expect the home team to make a run even from down 17 but you hope they can't maintain it enough to even it up or take the lead. We let their pressure affect us too much but to our guys credit they kept fighting until the end even with some pretty questionable calls for Arkansas. It's concerning how fast Nick has regressed after starting to play so well. Hopefully he gets back on track at home Wednesday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    That was a big win. You always expect the home team to make a run even from down 17 but you hope they can't maintain it enough to even it up or take the lead. We let their pressure affect us too much but to our guys credit they kept fighting until the end even with some pretty questionable calls for Arkansas. It's concerning how fast Nick has regressed after starting to play so well. Hopefully he gets back on track at home Wednesday.
    Yeah Nick didn’t play that well again today, but he had a great first half
    Still went for
    10 points on 5-9
    2 blocks
    1 steal
    3 dimes

The 5 TO weren’t good at all and he was in foul trouble.. but the one thing Nick gives ya is ultimate effort.. and he still is a plus defender

vCash
    Bottom line going into these 2 road games was we had to get one win.. we did.
    Now take care of the Cocks on Wednesday and win at College station, which won’t be easy , on Sat and we are sitting in pretty good shape..

vCash
    I had to watch most of the game on my recording - thought we'd blown the game after being up 17 but they hung in there. That was a really nice Quad 1 win. I wasn't sure if they'd just fold up shop after getting trounced by OM but they didn't.

vCash
    Sec road teams are 1-5 today with vandy likely to make it 1-6, but some here want to crap on a quad 1 win. Smh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Sec road teams are 1-5 today with vandy likely to make it 1-6, but some here want to crap on a quad 1 win. Smh
    That’s a walk off post.. well done

vCash
    /thread

vCash
    +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Bottom line going into these 2 road games was we had to get one win.. we did.
    Now take care of the Cocks on Wednesday and win at College station, which won’t be easy , on Sat and we are sitting in pretty good shape..
    Gotta have that same mentality we had when we ripped off five straight in SEC play. Can?t drop any games from here on out. South Carolina and Alabama are fighting for a bid as well. We should go 2-1 against them the rest of the way (need to win both games at home) and if all we drop is the game at SC we should be in great shape to make the tournament. 12-6 in the SEC should get us in. Have to win the games we are supposed to win. Need Nick to play like he did during that five game winning streak where he was 24 assists to 3 turnovers. These last two games he?s killed us. If we make the tourney, I?m off the replace Howland train. I?m not expecting much next year depending on who we lose but not going to the tourney with the talent he has this year is laughable.

vCash
    We were put in this position because we lost games like La Tech and NMSU early. Need wins that would nullify those losses. We?d have some wiggle room had we won those games. Simple as that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Gotta have that same mentality we had when we ripped off five straight in SEC play. Can?t drop any games from here on out. South Carolina and Alabama are fighting for a bid as well. We should go 2-1 against them the rest of the way (need to win both games at home) and if all we drop is the game at SC we should be in great shape to make the tournament. 12-6 in the SEC should get us in. Have to win the games we are supposed to win. Need Nick to play like he did during that five game winning streak where he was 24 assists to 3 turnovers. These last two games he?s killed us. If we make the tourney, I?m off the replace Howland train. I?m not expecting much next year depending on who we lose but not going to the tourney with the talent he has this year is laughable.
    Just to add to "with the talent he has this year is laughable". Yes we have talent, but sometimes not all of the cylinders click, like chemistry which is one third of being a good or bad team. Not saying it's bad but with one senior on the team sometimes it doesn't always work all the time. I see the lack of a true leader on the floor as the missing link to what I'm saying. Perry has stepped up in a big way and IF he comes back I can see much better overall chemistry with this team.

For you guys wanted Howland gone and you could bring an ex Msu Coach back who would you choose? It's only a few such as Babe, Davis (Losing record), Greene (one year), Boyd (who did nothing), Hatfield (big cheater and arrogant who once I had a run in over a Ms recruiter, one day I will share my story), Williams (who actually helped our program and had a few really good years), Stansbury (you can decide, I liked him but Sidney cost him his job), Ray ( we know) and now Howland.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't think anyone's crapping on the magnitude of this win. Most in here are pointing out that it should have been a blowout. The thing about the NET rating is it loves 10+ pt wins. Change that to a 10+ pt win and we actually move up in those rankings.

Everyone rightly noticed the last 5 minutes of our game (or as soon as nick came back in) we stagnated and quit doing what was working. We finally had some life on the offensive end and when it came crunch decided against it. Almost cost us but Abdul got a lucky tip in. Still lessons to be learned. Play 40 minutes like the first half and we are hard to be beat by anyone in the country.

vCash
    Last 5 minutes of the game we played way too much one on one, this goes back to not having a true point guard taking control. This is when motion offense needs to take control which is pass and screen with lots of movement making the defense work, floor space on offense is real important.

Banned
    vCash
    So is AR still trying to get in with a 4-8 SEC record? If so, is it solely based on beating GA Tech & Indiana?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Just to add to "with the talent he has this year is laughable". Yes we have talent, but sometimes not all of the cylinders click, like chemistry which is one third of being a good or bad team. Not saying it's bad but with one senior on the team sometimes it doesn't always work all the time. I see the lack of a true leader on the floor as the missing link to what I'm saying. Perry has stepped up in a big way and IF he comes back I can see much better overall chemistry with this team.

For you guys wanted Howland gone and you could bring an ex Msu Coach back who would you choose? It's only a few such as Babe, Davis (Losing record), Greene (one year), Boyd (who did nothing), Hatfield (big cheater and arrogant who once I had a run in over a Ms recruiter, one day I will share my story), Williams (who actually helped our program and had a few really good years), Stansbury (you can decide, I liked him but Sidney cost him his job), Ray ( we know) and now Howland.
    Williams with Stansbury was the best combo we?ve had. Stans to get the talent in here and Williams to coach them up. I think Davis and Pierre would have been a great combo for us had Loafers pulled the trigger there but as C34 said Keenum and Loafers didn?t want to go that way and cratered our program as a result. Davis isn?t a good recruiter so odds are good he?s not going to do any better then Andy K did at OM. He needs a recruiting coach as a bench assistant and we need an Xs and Os guy as an assistant if Howland is going to work in the long run. My guess is hopefully Ziegler finds an HC job and we can bring in a true Xs and Os guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

Oh and to add. I agree Sidney was Stans downfall but his program started going downhill when Coach Kirby left. Kirby was the disciplinarian that none of Stans other coaches were. Once he left, there was no one there to be that disciplinarian the team needed especially Sidney who Kirby personally recruited and then left the following season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    So is AR still trying to get in with a 4-8 SEC record? If so, is it solely based on beating GA Tech & Indiana?
    North Texas and Tulsa are also having good seasons in their conferences but without Isaiah Joe we're a shell of the team we were about a month ago. Don't think we have much of a chance at the tournament but after being picked 11th in the SEC the NIT isn't horrible in year one for Musselman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post
    North Texas and Tulsa are also having good seasons in their conferences but without Isaiah Joe we're a shell of the team we were about a month ago. Don't think we have much of a chance at the tournament but after being picked 11th in the SEC the NIT isn't horrible in year one for Musselman.
    Only a fool would be unhappy with Musselman so far... decent success so far and outstanding recruiting class

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post
    Agree. Losing Joe was a huge blow..

And I just checked arky picked as high as 7 ( SI) and most had you guys around 10 or 11 as stated
    MSU picked as high as 7 ( espn and sec network) low as 11 , consensus was about 8 or 9

Nice to have a good basketball IQ poster on here.. come back more often
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 02-17-2020 at 11:03 AM.