Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Westburg

vCash

Jordan Westburg

I want this guy to succeed so badly, but he can be so frustrating to watch at the plate. How many times in his career has he swung at the curveball out of the zone and tried to pull it, and hit a weak dribbler to the left side or K'd? Yesterday he got an infield single out of one, but it was a bad swing. I'm starting to just think he is what he is at this point. He looks like a guy that tries so hard and presses so much, when if he would just relax and try to let his quick hands to the work, he could mash. The pop up with runners on 1st and 3rd yesterday with one out, is a prime example of how frustrating he can be....quit trying to hit everything out of the park, and just do a job and get the rbi without hitting into a double play. We really need this guy to have a big year if we're going to have one. I'm rooting for him, bc I feel like he's putting so much pressure on himself to live up to the hype, when I wish he could just relax and have a great year.
    Hope he has a big game today and a big season. He seems like a good kid
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 02-15-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Most talented player on the roster
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    He is very physically talented but has very little skill in the way of pitch recognition when at the plate.

vCash
    2 at bats, two dribblers to the left side on curve balls out of the zone. Granted, he beat out both but that's not what we need from him. We need him to be a gap hitter and power guy....he's as big as Rooker but hits like he's 5'7 150. At this point he's got to realize he's getting nothing but curveballs, but he still can't sit back and drive them the other way with power OR better yet, DONT SWING. Most of them are balls if he takes them. He is giving them a gift by swinging at that trash with a 0-0 count. Eliminating his power with an advantage in the count. Makes no sense. So frustrating. But the 2-2 will mask it and many will say I'm crazy for expecting more bc his average will be great until SEC play. Then those dribblers wont be hits and his terrible at bats and pitch recognition will cost us games. I just wish he could learn how to approach the boat load of curve balls he sees and will continue to see. And I'm not trying to bash him, I just really really want to see what the guy can be if he learns how to adjust to a hook. He could be so damn good.

vCash
    You're bitching about a guy that's 2 for 2, 1.000 for the day and we are not even batting in the third .. in the second game of the year, he's hitting .500?

Really?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    You're bitching about a guy that's 2 for 2, 1.000 for the day and we are not even batting in the third .. in the second game of the year, he's hitting .500?

Really?
    Haha, what did I say? That some will say I'm crazy for saying anything because his average will be good...and like clockwork you delivered.

I'm not bitching, just discussing and observing. Want the guy to have a big year. At least he isn't striking out. Just want to see him adjust to all these guys getting him to hit these little dribblers by throwing him nothing but curves. I'm a big Westburg fan, that's why I'm discussing it. I want him to play to his potential because I think he has a really high ceiling. Only real baseball guys will know where I'm coming from. You're not one, and that's ok, but that's why you don't get it.

vCash
    Totally get your point. Going either pitch on a curve away will be more beneficial in the long term

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    Totally get your point. Going either pitch on a curve away will be more beneficial in the long term
    Thank you. Yeah, if he ever figures out how to keep his weight back and drive that curve into the right center gap....watch out.

vCash
    Now THAT last swing was what he should be waiting on!! I don't care that the guy robbed it, give me that swing every time over those weak swings at curves early in the count. Take those curves, get ahead in the count, make them throw you a heater, and do THAT with it, Westy. Thattaboy!

vCash
    Another 18" in height and he has the first HR of the year to dead left center. That was no 'dribbler.'
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    I just don't understand why he has to swing at the first pitch EVERY time. Bases loaded, 1 pitch, pop up to catcher....next at bat, 1 pitch, curve ball, dribbler to the right. Makes me want to pull my hair out, haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I just don't understand why he has to swing at the first pitch EVERY time. Bases loaded, 1 pitch, pop up to catcher....next at bat, 1 pitch, curve ball, dribbler to the right. Makes me want to pull my hair out, haha.
    He's trying to do too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He's trying to do too much.
    I agree. Been that way his whole career

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I agree. Been that way his whole career
    That is an astute observation, he's grinding to produce and has been since he got to the program. If he could just relax a touch it might prove to be something really really special. Definitely a driven dude.

vCash
    It's early. Give the players time.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It's early. Give the players time.
    Not even discussing anything detrimental about the kid, if you knew you would know.

vCash
    He needs to be a very good hitting SS if he’s going to be mediocre defensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post

Really?
    Jay Powell said the same as Cadaver on the radio. Pitch recognition needs lots of work and development.

vCash
    Great swing by Westy on that hook. Much better. Looks like an adjustment was made, awesome to see.

vCash
    Eh...westy was streaky last yr. early in the year he used the whole field. Late he got pull conscious and struggled with the breaking ball. Pitch recognition could improve but at least he’s not a guess hitter at this point. He needs to trust his hands. He’s elite at the plate and just needs to let that show. Ima guess that he’ll end the year with a better average than last yr