Thread: Arnett speaks. We need something positive today. Might have already been posted.

vCash

Arnett speaks. We need something positive today. Might have already been posted.

vCash
    I liked his response when asked ... How our defense would (basically) adjust to Run-Heavy type teams .. After practicing against the Air-Raid all week. Seems like a bright guy, Fingers Crossed.

vCash
    I'm excited that we're running the same scheme that Joe Lee Dunn used to run. I think we've run just about every kind of defense in my fan lifetime and his was my favorite. I loved his creativity and the fact that we blitzed a lot from all over the place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm excited that we're running the same scheme that Joe Lee Dunn used to run. I think we've run just about every kind of defense in my fan lifetime and his was my favorite. I loved his creativity and the fact that we blitzed a lot from all over the place.
    Better have lock down corners to run JLD's defense.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Yeah this is the key to run that defense. Those corners are locked into man coverage with no safety help on just about every play. If your corners can cover you can create big time negative plays, if they can't you get burned quite often. I do prefer the aggressive defense to passive though. You gotta give to get.

vCash
    So is it time to bring back this blast from the past.****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    You have to be able to generate a pass rush. I'm pretty sure Arnett is going to mix coverages up more than
    Joe Lee too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah this is the key to run that defense. Those corners are locked into man coverage with no safety help on just about every play. If your corners can cover you can create big time negative plays, if they can't you get burned quite often. I do prefer the aggressive defense to passive though. You gotta give to get.
    That being said I think most SEC defenses have that aggressive edge. That's one of the main reasons Joe's offense failed. Those slow developing plays never had time.

I'm really excited to see what we do defensively next season.

vCash
    The aggressive defense gives you a significantly greater chance at upsetting teams.

Give me the style that plays to win instead of playing not to lose.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    The aggressive defense gives you a significantly greater chance at upsetting teams.

Give me the style that plays to win instead of playing not to lose.
    Just no bend and break defense.

vCash
    Just no bend and break defense.
    Bend but don't break helps you win games in which you have better talent.

The aggressive style may hurt you in some games in which you have more talent, but at least gives you a chance of having that magical day where you put Bama & LSU into awkward down & distances due to making big plays
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Get ready to see a ton of RPOs reading that middle safety. They are moving on almost every snap. It would be my first answer to it.

The stack is a good defense you see UGA and Bama running it a lot but Clemson does it the most. Especially on 3rd down. A casual fan may think it is weak against the run but a 0 nose and 2 4is is what almost everyone is running now. Its tough to run zone against that. We will probably run a 4i to the RB and a 5 away from him. Mix it up some. Its biggest strength is its versatility. You can go into an over or under front with one call or a nickel or dime without changing a lot of personnel. I do think we may see Marquis Spencer play LB and DE he is athletic enough. Tre Lawson is going to be great for this scheme. I am really interested to see who plays the ''Aztec'' or ''Dawg'' safety. I would say Murphy but he may be our best cover guy at Safety. Fred Peters would be my next choice he will strike you. He can sit flat footed and read the mesh and insert into the box. Great fit for him. JP Purvis would also be a good fit. CJ Morgan may want to move to LB tbh. Corner will be ok. I wanna see Jdub play WR bc he would be better there but he can be a capable cover corner but he aint tackling no one or setting an edge anytime soon. He needs to grow up. Emerson and Wiliams are prolly are best 2.

We have enough DL bodies that we can mix and match them to give different looks. I think we are going to have to have 1 or 2 do it bc we dont have the depth at LB that we need. Errol Thompson and Jett Johnson may turn into walk down guys ''Jack backers'' bc they arent that great in space but they will thump you. We need Brule and Wheat to have a big year with at least one more able to step up and be capable depth if shit goes south.

vCash
    Well, if we get burned often, we’ll be off the field quicker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Get ready to see a ton of RPOs reading that middle safety. They are moving on almost every snap. It would be my first answer to it.

The stack is a good defense you see UGA and Bama running it a lot but Clemson does it the most. Especially on 3rd down. A casual fan may think it is weak against the run but a 0 nose and 2 4is is what almost everyone is running now. Its tough to run zone against that. We will probably run a 4i to the RB and a 5 away from him. Mix it up some. Its biggest strength is its versatility. You can go into an over or under front with one call or a nickel or dime without changing a lot of personnel. I do think we may see Marquis Spencer play LB and DE he is athletic enough. Tre Lawson is going to be great for this scheme. I am really interested to see who plays the ''Aztec'' or ''Dawg'' safety. I would say Murphy but he may be our best cover guy at Safety. Fred Peters would be my next choice he will strike you. He can sit flat footed and read the mesh and insert into the box. Great fit for him. JP Purvis would also be a good fit. CJ Morgan may want to move to LB tbh. Corner will be ok. I wanna see Jdub play WR bc he would be better there but he can be a capable cover corner but he aint tackling no one or setting an edge anytime soon. He needs to grow up. Emerson and Wiliams are prolly are best 2.

We have enough DL bodies that we can mix and match them to give different looks. I think we are going to have to have 1 or 2 do it bc we dont have the depth at LB that we need. Errol Thompson and Jett Johnson may turn into walk down guys ''Jack backers'' bc they arent that great in space but they will thump you. We need Brule and Wheat to have a big year with at least one more able to step up and be capable depth if shit goes south.
    Is Spencer a little big to play LB? I can see him standing up some as a DE.

Maybe we'll see this:

DE- Spencer
    NT- Lovett
    DE- Kobe Jones

LB- Lawson
    MLB- Errol
    LB- Jordan Davis

CB- Tyler Williams
    CB- Emerson
    FS- Murphy
    DOG- Jarrian Jones
    DOG- Peters

vCash
    Is Spencer a little big to play LB? I can see him standing up some as a DE.

Maybe we'll see this:

DE- Spencer
    NT- Lovett
    DE- Kobe Jones

LB- Lawson
    MLB- Errol
    LB- Jordan Davis

CB- Tyler Williams
    CB- Emerson
    FS- Murphy
    DOG- Jarrian Jones
    DOG- Peters
    Kove can't play dt in a 3-3. That's a 4 tech to a 5 most of the time. But we won't sit in a 3-3 all the time. It's got to be versatile. Be interesting to see how he matches this year's personnel to best fit what he wants to do.

vCash
    I simply like the way these new coaches respond to questions. They are much more straight forward in their answers and don't regurgitate all the "coach speak" garb.