Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The next MBB HC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This year we signed the 54th ranked class. Last year we signed the 60th ranked class. Year before that 16th (with 2 legacy players - not a hard sell). Year before that 65th ranked. Year before that 10th (signed 7 and two are still on the team. We have no verbals for anyone for 2021 yet.

Howland being a great recruiter is a myth. His class average is in the 40's and that is including a stacked class due to 7 open scholarships and a class that he was gifted two legacy players. I'm just NOT seeing what you all are seeing. And don't start with "well in those down years he didn't have any scholarships". That just proves that he can't manage his scholarships the same way he can't manage his roster in games.
    Thank you! If I hear great recruiter one more time I'm jumping out the window. I honestly think this is the problem, people pay so little attention to basketball now, nobody actually bothers to check the facts.

vCash
    I am fine with Howland staying if changes are made in the off season. Bring in our basketball version of Joe Brady. Howland can be the face and the recruiter but we need an Xs and Os assistant to come in and revamp our style of play.

vCash
    Funny reading about Howland and our program. Not sure most understand about Sec basketball and of course MSU basketball. Not sure we will get a Coach doing any better, just go look at our background and other than about a dozen years we have been below average most of the time. Folks want be knocking down our door to be our Coach. As a whole, Sec sucks in basketball, attendance overall is getting worse not better. Yes a few team other than Kentucky will be decent but overall not consistent. Too many programs that aren?t in the power 5 conferences care way more with basketball. It?s just what it is, we can agree all day about BH staying or being fired but he has made our program better not worse.
    Lastly, I think he will retire, I also think he has reached his or our peak.
    11 NCAA appearances is it folks, let that sink in. Just saying.

vCash
    What needs to happen after this year.
    1 Howland is retained but no extension to contract or worded where it would be more like a two year buy out next year. The second way would look better for recruiting purposes.
    2 major staff change. Get coaches and recruiters. This staff isn't getting it done. No excuse for the record with this teams talent and to look like we have. It's looking like a Moorhead team at times. If you go to games and watch time out, there is another coach calling plays. That's fine but seems like we need an upgrade in whoever is in charge. On the recruiting in, until we start making it to the tournament it's going to continue to be hard to recruit. No fans are going to want to go to men's games. Nothing to be excited about. That is a drawback to recruits.

Let's give Howland the chance we were going to give Moorhead. The difference is the football program was about to go downhill. Basketball has just leveled off. We can risk a year to see if staff changes pay off in my opinion.

vCash
    Let coach next year without Perry. Talk about a team struggling to play .500 ball

vCash
    And to be clear, I'm not trying to be hard headed for the sake of argument but personally (and I know this is blasphemy practically) but I just don't care about women's basketball or even baseball. I know I'm in the minority but Football and Basketball are my sports and it pains me to see us struggle in men's basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    And to be clear, I'm not trying to be hard headed for the sake of argument but personally (and I know this is blasphemy practically) but I just don't care about women's basketball or even baseball. I know I'm in the minority but Football and Basketball are my sports and it pains me to see us struggle in men's basketball.
    Well your pain has a long history of hurting, basketball like I stated has not been good overall. Football has been upgraded since JWS took over years back. Now days winning isn't good enough, we aren't Ky good in basketball nor Bama good in football, those are just facts and I didn't have to look them up.
    I fell in love with Baseball while I attended Msu, it is the one sport we will always be good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    Let coach next year without Perry. Talk about a team struggling to play .500 ball
    Many said the same thing about this year after lost 3 starters with one of them a 1st team all sec player

vCash
    This team has about equal talent to the 96 team but plays like a juco team. This isn't a talent or player issue. Would Nick play better if Pearl or Frank Martin was his HC? The answer is yes or he'd be sitting quietly on the bench.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Yep
    Richard Williams also wasn't a great coach like some on this board make him out to be. I am appreciative of his time here, and will always remember the run we had in both 95 and 96, but some people act like the guy was Dean Smith. He made 3 NCAA tournaments in 12 years. Also, lost in the first round in 1991 season after winning the SEC outright. He also only had 6 total winning seasons and 2 of those were 16-14 and 15-13.

We should be nowhere close to firing Howland. We are respectable, and he brought us back from the dead. The loss last night was the worst of the season, and I am not happy about it like the rest of our fanbase, but Shotgun is right. If we lose that game to Tennessee instead of OM there isn't near the outrage. All of you need to take a deep breath and let's see how the season plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastratdog View Post
    I think Howland is done.
    Are you a Coach34 alter? Seriously, that's the course we took and ended up with Rick Ray.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    This team has about equal talent to the 96 team but plays like a juco team. This isn't a talent or player issue. Would Nick play better if Pearl or Frank Martin was his HC? The answer is yes or he'd be sitting quietly on the bench.
    Wut? 96 had a lottery pick and another 1st rounder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Are you a Coach34 alter? Seriously, that's the course we took and ended up with Rick Ray.
    Man Rick Ray has some of y'all scared out of your wits. Once again, we had several other "better" options who were interested in the job but our AD decided to go rogue, went nuts and hired the equivalent of a volunteer upwards coach. You people need to forget about Rick Ray being the norm for hires.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wut? 96 had a lottery pick and another 1st rounder.
    A lottery pick in Dampier (7 Footer) another top 20 with Dontae Jones, and arguably the best 4 year player in our recent history Darryl Wilson.

We possibly have 1 late first rounder in Perry on this team.

vCash
    Then I don't want to hear any more talk of Woodard or Spoon playing at the next level. Sounds like the myth of the great recruiter might have just been unearthed. This team could make a run to win the NIT if they were so inclined, motivated and coached. Oh well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Well your pain has a long history of hurting, basketball like I stated has not been good overall. Football has been upgraded since JWS took over years back. Now days winning isn't good enough, we aren't Ky good in basketball nor Bama good in football, those are just facts and I didn't have to look them up.
    I fell in love with Baseball while I attended Msu, it is the one sport we will always be good.
    True but conversely I attended in the mid 90's when basketball was darn near king on that campus. Getting a ticket to SEC games was more important than going to class. We were one of the top SEC teams for nearly 15 years. We have history, it can be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Richard Williams also wasn't a great coach like some on this board make him out to be. I am appreciative of his time here, and will always remember the run we had in both 95 and 96, but some people act like the guy was Dean Smith. He made 3 NCAA tournaments in 12 years. Also, lost in the first round in 1991 season after winning the SEC outright. He also only had 6 total winning seasons and 2 of those were 16-14 and 15-13.

We should be nowhere close to firing Howland. We are respectable, and he brought us back from the dead. The loss last night was the worst of the season, and I am not happy about it like the rest of our fanbase, but Shotgun is right. If we lose that game to Tennessee instead of OM there isn't near the outrage. All of you need to take a deep breath and let's see how the season plays out.
    To be fair, based on current trajectory that would beat Howland. After next season Howland will go 1 tourney in 6 seasons. Just extrapolating that out it's about the same as Williams, maybe worse (and that's not considering Williams had 2 sweet 16's and a final four). I agree, Williams also had down years, no doubt, but he had some big ones as well. So far we've gotten nothing from Howland (at $2million per!)

vCash
    Then I don't want to hear any more talk of Woodard or Spoon playing at the next level. Sounds like the myth of the great recruiter might have just been unearthed. This team could make a run to win the NIT if they were so inclined, motivated and coached. Oh well
    There's only 30 1st round picks and 346 div 1 teams... that's not even taking into account all the foreign players that will be drafted. Point is that it is hard as heck to get a roster of NBA players. I have no huge problems with howland's recruiting other than I wish he had a more true pt guard on this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    True but conversely I attended in the mid 90's when basketball was darn near king on that campus. Getting a ticket to SEC games was more important than going to class. We were one of the top SEC teams for nearly 15 years. We have history, it can be done.
    Describe history? Yes to 95 and 96, other than those two years you have to go back to the Babe years. He was by far our best basketball coach. I feel your hurt.

vCash
    We had the chance to hire Kermit when we hired Ray and didn?t. That was just very confusing. I will admit at the time Kermit didn?t have the same accomplishments he had in the following years, but if we were so desperate that we hire Ray I don?t understand not hiring Kermit.