Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The next MBB HC?

vCash
    If you fire Howland you may as well shut down the program. You can't compare it to football because our football job is much more attractive than our basketball job.
    You would have a program with very little history, poor crowd support, located in a rural area, plays in a football conference, and a coach with multiple Final Fours can't win there. I know a lot of you will disagree with this but it is reality. And before someone mentions the Hump during the Stans years you need to understand that those crowds don't mean any more than crowds for Babe McCarthy's teams right now and our current team and last years team are playing at about an average Stansbury team level. You have to take off the maroon glasses and see it for what it really is.
    I think Coach Howland staying is our best chance at success. He definitely knows basketball but I think he has trouble communicating it to today's players. I would love to see him hire some assistants that he can teach and in the process they can teach and coach the players better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    If you fire Howland you may as well shut down the program. You can't compare it to football because our football job is much more attractive than our basketball job.
    You would have a program with very little history, poor crowd support, located in a rural area, plays in a football conference, and a coach with multiple Final Fours can't win there. I know a lot of you will disagree with this but it is reality. And before someone mentions the Hump during the Stans years you need to understand that those crowds don't mean any more than crowds for Babe McCarthy's teams right now and our current team and last years team are playing at about an average Stansbury team level. You have to take off the maroon glasses and see it for what it really is.
    I think Coach Howland staying is our best chance at success. He definitely knows basketball but I think he has trouble communicating it to today's players. I would love to see him hire some assistants that he can teach and in the process they can teach and coach the players better.
    ^^^ ding, ding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Some day some of y'all are finally going to realize what Richard Williams and, yes, Rick Stansbury accomplished here. Some of us knew all along.
    Yep

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Look I'm not saying firing Howland wouldnt be extremely risky or that keeping him isnt what's best.

But 100% there are better coaches out there that would take our job. Finding one is the hard part. But we can upgrade.

Look, or basketball team is mediocre. Not bad, respectable, but mediocre. If that's your goal then yes keep Howland. If we want to become a top 4 team in the conference we need to move on. Its basically that simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastratdog View Post
    I think Howland is done. Not because we lost to OM but our team just doesn't compete at the level our talent and resources are. We just don't play as a team. So who do we replace him with?

TJC
    this would be cutcliffe levl firing stupidity

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Carter doesn't appear to be a good gift right now. Two big strikes against howland right now are our guards are not that great and no depth in the post
    Huge strike in that Carter and NWeatherspoon have not really progressed as players as you would have hoped. And probably our 2 best recruits and most talented players under Howland are Perry and Woodard. Both are legacies so how much credit does Howland get for that? Yes, a different coach might not have gotten them even though they were legacies but I don't see Howland bringing in a lot of top end recruits that don't already have MSU connections. We can keep Howland or not, I don't care, but Howland is WAY on the downhill side of his coaching career and is not a long term solution regardless. Our talent level will likely fall dramatically next year if Perry and Woodard both go the NBA route. Seriously, if Howland can't get us to the NCAA tourney with this group I don't see him ever getting us there again. He is a very weak coach on the offensive side of the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Huge strike in that Carter and NWeatherspoon have not really progressed as players as you would have hoped. And probably our 2 best recruits and most talented players under Howland are Perry and Woodard. Both are legacies so how much credit does Howland get for that? Yes, a different coach might not have gotten them even though they were legacies but I don't see Howland bringing in a lot of top end recruits that don't already have MSU connections. We can keep Howland or not, I don't care, but Howland is WAY on the downhill side of his coaching career and is not a long term solution regardless. Our talent level will likely fall dramatically next year if Perry and Woodard both go the NBA route. Seriously, if Howland can't get us to the NCAA tourney with this group I don't see him ever getting us there again. He is a very weak coach on the offensive side of the ball.
    We're bringing in a borderline 5-star guard this year, and I think Molinar and Stewart are gonna be good. I'm worried about the 4-spot, but I think guard play could go to a real strength next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Someone should have changed Nick's shooting stroke 10 years ago, but someone on our staff should have changed it when he first came in. If Lonzo Ball can do it, so can Nick. You have to have good fundamentals to be a good shooter.

vCash
    We're bringing in a borderline 5-star guard this year, and I think Molinar and Stewart are gonna be good. I'm worried about the 4-spot, but I think guard play could go to a real strength next year
    He's not a shooter though. just a freakishly athletic point guard (really more of a combo). Not known as a high scorer. Gets a lot of his points by driving to the basket and within 10' of goal.

We really need 2 guys at minimum who can just fill it up from deep. We don't even have 1. And if don't address it then we won't stand a chance next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Look I'm not saying firing Howland wouldnt be extremely risky or that keeping him isnt what's best.

But 100% there are better coaches out there that would take our job. Finding one is the hard part. But we can upgrade.

Look, or basketball team is mediocre. Not bad, respectable, but mediocre. If that's your goal then yes keep Howland. If we want to become a top 4 team in the conference we need to move on. Its basically that simple.
    I think I heard the same thing when Stans was let go. Ended up with RIck Ray. Howland is the second best coach we ever had (behind only Babe).
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    He's not a shooter though. just a freakishly athletic point guard (really more of a combo). Not known as a high scorer. Gets a lot of his points by driving to the basket and within 10' of goal.

We really need 2 guys at minimum who can just fill it up from deep. We don't even have 1. And if don't address it then we won't stand a chance next year.
    Stewart: 36% (21/58)
    Woodard: 46% (25/54)
    Molinar: 36% (12/33)

2 of those are freshmen and will most likely get better shooting. Woodard will probably go down.

vCash

2 of those are freshmen and will most likely get better shooting. Woodard will probably go down.
    We'll see about that. Hasn't really worked out like that for a lot of our guys recently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    My biggest strike on Howland is that this is the halfway point of Year 4 and we still don't look like we have any type of clue how to attack a zone. It infuriated me watching us struggle how to attack and average at best 1-3-1 trapping zone last night.
    This is year 5 brother

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We'll see about that. Hasn't really worked out like that for a lot of our guys recently.
    It did for Woodard and Reggie so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

vCash

We don't run our offense through our guards though. This is as good a year as we'll have to get open looks for guards on the outside due to all of the attention on Perry. Next year teams will be able to play us straight up on defense. I'll bet you a pounding sand nickel that those percentages aren't the true representation of the baseline going forward.

Also, Molinar hasn't even shot enough to register on the sec rankings and the other 2 are near the bottom in attempts. Like I said, we don't have any shooters.

vCash

[QUOTE=AROB44;1231308]I think I heard the same thing when Stans was let go. Ended up with RIck Ray. Howland is the second best coach we ever had (behind only Babe).[/r]

Because he went to final fours at UCLA with future NBA all stars?

I guess using the same analogy, LSU won't ever be able to get a coach better than Ed Orgeron. I mean he won a national championship so he's gotta be the greatest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    I think I heard the same thing when Stans was let go. Ended up with RIck Ray. Howland is the second best coach we ever had (behind only Babe).
    Because he went to final fours at UCLA with future NBA all stars?

I guess using the same analogy, LSU won't ever be able to get a coach better than Ed Orgeron. I mean he won a national championship so he's gotta be the greatest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic View Post
    this would be cutcliffe levl firing stupidity
    Totally ridiculous.

vCash
    So Rick Ray being a god awful hire means there was no way we could upgrade Howland? What?

Of course youd have to nail the hire. That's the risk involved in moving on from any mediocre coach- that your AD hires a really bad one.

Doesnt change that there are better coaches out there we could hire if we wanted too.

vCash
    Again, apples and oranges. I've been hard on Cohen at times but the man has earned the opportunity to go out and find a coach that produces results for basketball. Either we are good with being mediocre (I'm not) or we think we can do better than one NCAA tournament every 6 seasons (personally, I fall into the "we can do better than this garbage" category).