Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The next MBB HC?

vCash

The next MBB HC?

I think Howland is done. Not because we lost to OM but our team just doesn't compete at the level our talent and resources are. We just don't play as a team. So who do we replace him with?

TJC

vCash
    I don't wanna fire howland. I feel like we've underachieved, but I'm smart enough to know howland is the reason we have a talented roster. Good luck recruiting to our dead, empty stadium without a coach that has a track record of coaching guys to the nba.

vCash
    We aren't firing Howland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't wanna fire howland. I feel like we've underachieved, but I'm smart enough to know howland is the reason we have a talented roster. Good luck recruiting to our dead, empty stadium without a coach that has a track record of coaching guys to the nba.
    I agree that recruiting would probably drop off without Howland. However, almost anybody would improve the pure coaching aspect.

I find it hard to believe that theres no G5 coach out there who couldn't get us to the tournament more than once in 3 years with 100% his roster (we made ot last year, will miss it this year, and will definately miss it next year with Perry and Woodard gone, and all this is after several years of Howland building his roster and culture)

Can we find this upgrade? I dont know. Its definately a risk, but 100% there are better total package coaches out there we could hire.

The other thing to consider is that under Howland we have basically zero chance of ever getting "hot" and making a Frank Martin SC run. Howland teams have literally NEVER even had 1 game where they played above their talent level, so theres zero potential for us to upset a better team in the tourney. A different coach (one who can improve our basketball IQ and make adjustments in game) would give us that potential.

Last note here: Howland was gifted Carter and Woodard because they were legacies, and Nick was half gifted because of Q. So it's not like were going to have teams of 2 5* and 3 4* going forward. That's not the true level of Howland recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I agree that recruiting would probably drop off without Howland. However, almost anybody would improve the pure coaching aspect.

I find it hard to believe that theres no G5 coach out there who couldn't get us to the tournament more than once in 3 years with 100% his roster (we made ot last year, will miss it this year, and will definately miss it next year with Perry and Woodard gone, and all this is after several years of Howland building his roster and culture)

Can we find this upgrade? I dont know. Its definately a risk, but 100% there are better total package coaches out there we could hire.

The other thing to consider is that under Howland we have basically zero chance of ever getting "hot" and making a Frank Martin SC run. Howland teams have literally NEVER even had 1 game where they played above their talent level, so theres zero potential for us to upset a better team in the tourney. A different coach (one who can improve our basketball IQ and make adjustments in game) would give us that potential.

Last note here: Howland was gifted Carter and Woodard because they were legacies, and Nick was half gifted because of Q. So it's not like were going to have teams of 2 5* and 3 4* going forward. That's not the true level of Howland recruiting
    Carter doesn't appear to be a good gift right now. Two big strikes against howland right now are our guards are not that great and no depth in the post

vCash
    My biggest strike on Howland is that this is the halfway point of Year 4 and we still don't look like we have any type of clue how to attack a zone. It infuriated me watching us struggle how to attack and average at best 1-3-1 trapping zone last night.

vCash
    I am frustrated like everyone else, but I don't think I'm anywhere near firing Howland.

He needs to recruit better shooters & guards. We say he's underachieving & he probably is to some degree, but every team is different & has their own issues.

I do wish he'd hire a "Joe Brady" type OC assistant, but I don't think firing him is the right option.

Again, if you replace Ole Miss with "Missouri" no one is saying to fire him this morning. They just aren't unless you were already calling for his firing prior to the game.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    My biggest strike on Howland is that this is the halfway point of Year 4 and we still don't look like we have any type of clue how to attack a zone. It infuriated me watching us struggle how to attack and average at best 1-3-1 trapping zone last night.
    He really needs a Joe Brady OC IMO. That needs to be the change, not firing Howland
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He needs to recruit better shooters & guards.
    Like Tyson Carter?***

vCash

Have you seen how Howland has recruited over his career as a coach? He's a terrific recruiter and absolutely is the reason we have the roster that we have. He wasn't gifted those guys because they were legacies. We don't get Woodard if Ray is still the coach and we don't get Perry if Ray is still the coach.

Our program was literally dead in the water and had been since the last year or two under Stansbury. There was a decade long drought in basketball. Howland dug us out of that and is just now really getting his guys in there. He deserves at a minimum one more year but I would give him at least two more.

Some of yall think we were an elite basketball program and we really weren't close to elite. I'm not one to settle but he's gotten the program back to ground level and I believe he is starting to build the program up now. Had the whole Nick suspension thing not happened and Nick had been able to play from the beginning of the season I think the record looks a bit different and I think we would have won at least 2-3 more games which takes you squarely off of the bubble.

Be patient.

vCash
    I'm done with Howland. 1 NCAA in 5 years (it will be 1 in 6 after next year) is pathetic. If we are ok with that than we really don't care about men's basketball. Personally, that's embarrassing to me.

vCash

Totally agree. Keeping Howland is just lazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I'm done with Howland. 1 NCAA in 5 years (it will be 1 in 6 after next year) is pathetic. If we are ok with that than we really don't care about men's basketball. Personally, that's embarrassing to me.
    He took over a program at a pathetic level. I'd say he's 1 out of 2 right now with this season swinging it one way or the other.

vCash
    Some day some of y'all are finally going to realize what Richard Williams and, yes, Rick Stansbury accomplished here. Some of us knew all along.

vCash
    He needs to hire an offensive version of Stansbury, like Williams did. Shotgun makes it sound easy to find a Joe Brady type, but it's not that easy or LSU wouldn't have waited 20 years to do it. But just a guy from the lower divisions that is an X's and O's guy that can run the offense. Let Howland recruit and coach D and rebounding, and hire someone to coach O. Otherwise, make a change....but change in hoops scares me, bc even the sure fire Shaka Smart's of the world aren't guaranteed...ask Texas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Have you seen how Howland has recruited over his career as a coach? He's a terrific recruiter and absolutely is the reason we have the roster that we have. He wasn't gifted those guys because they were legacies. We don't get Woodard if Ray is still the coach and we don't get Perry if Ray is still the coach.

Our program was literally dead in the water and had been since the last year or two under Stansbury. There was a decade long drought in basketball. Howland dug us out of that and is just now really getting his guys in there. He deserves at a minimum one more year but I would give him at least two more.

Some of yall think we were an elite basketball program and we really weren't close to elite. I'm not one to settle but he's gotten the program back to ground level and I believe he is starting to build the program up now. Had the whole Nick suspension thing not happened and Nick had been able to play from the beginning of the season I think the record looks a bit different and I think we would have won at least 2-3 more games which takes you squarely off of the bubble.

Be patient.
    You're comparing him to Ray. Obviously hes better than the worst BB coach in our history. Being better than Ray doesnt = we should keep you, though.

Moreover, Howland doesnt "deserve" anything. Hes paid 2M a year to coach us, hes not doing us some favor we should reward with extra time. We should do what's best for our program going forward, let's not make a classic mistake of keeping a coach past his prime because he's "earned it". It cost FSU, PSU, and KState... let's not let it cost us

vCash
    He has an amazing ability to recruit. But I am at the point that I would rather see us have less talent that plays with effort atleast 90% of the time and plays smart basketball. This is as good as it gets with Howland, in my opinion. I would rather us take the gamble and see if we can get someone with more upside potential. We don't have anything to lose. We are a perennial bubble team at best with Howland.

vCash
    This year we signed the 54th ranked class. Last year we signed the 60th ranked class. Year before that 16th (with 2 legacy players - not a hard sell). Year before that 65th ranked. Year before that 10th (signed 7 and two are still on the team. We have no verbals for anyone for 2021 yet.

Howland being a great recruiter is a myth. His class average is in the 40's and that is including a stacked class due to 7 open scholarships and a class that he was gifted two legacy players. I'm just NOT seeing what you all are seeing. And don't start with "well in those down years he didn't have any scholarships". That just proves that he can't manage his scholarships the same way he can't manage his roster in games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Like Tyson Carter?***
    Proper ball movement opens up the outside shot. rainbow lob passes after one is double teamed does not. I wish The staff knew this and had a day or so to prepare for a zone defense. Maybe this is a new phenomenon?

vCash
    I think the people who think Howland is a great recruiter are just comparing him to Rick Ray...