Thread: Is it Howland .... OR ....

vCash

Is it Howland .... OR ....

Is it the assistant's? Someone with more MBB knowledge please tell me. Thank GOD the Dude opens up this weekend, But ... what am I missing from this basketball team? Talent around the horn, but Good God ... where is the identity or toughness?? Get the PIRATE on em!
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 02-11-2020 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    Answer is probably both as Howland picks the staff. I think we have some good recruiters on staff but not sure we have great X and O guys

vCash
    To me it's Howland. One of the things a good coach does is he's able to pick moments where he has a direct, immediate impact on the game during a team's struggle. Call a play to get an easy basket or take advantage of a defense.

When we are going through scoring droughts, we hardly ever have that happen. Howland never routinely out coaches someone. We out talent teams a lot. But in critical moments to me, it seems like Howland doesn't have the ability to pull from his book and get us going in the right direction.

You could feel it with 2 minutes left in the first half. Momentum was changing and we were struggling. You could see what was going to happen. Howland didn't give us anything to try and get a bucket and stop the OM momentum. They carried it through the end of the half and never looked back from there.

vCash
    While I agree that Howland (or assistants) needed to step up, our players just looked slow and lost. Almost like they were drunk. It was by far the worst night Nick Weatherspoon has ever had. He was complete garbage last night. I'm a huge Nick fan, but that was absolutely pitiful.

vCash
    One of my issues is that I'm not sure I've seen much growth in any individual player in a while. Tyson Carter is basically who he was as a freshman. Weatherspoon is basically who he has been. Perry has gotten better, but he already came in as a stud and I'm sure is motivated to improve his own game for the next level. Woodard is really good but essentially who he was last year, just playing more. Ado has gotten a little better, but he's still an issue on offense.

I just can't remember the last time we had a guy really break out after being in the program a couple years. Even Q was really good as a freshman. He did get better, but not by leaps and bounds.

vCash
    DJ?

vCash
    Howland has a limited toolbox. We play half court, man 2 man defense. That's it. No zone, no press, no halfcourt trap. Nothing to speed the game up or throw a different look.

vCash
    We have incredibly low basketball IQ. That's on Howland

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    One of my issues is that I'm not sure I've seen much growth in any individual player in a while. Tyson Carter is basically who he was as a freshman. Weatherspoon is basically who he has been. Perry has gotten better, but he already came in as a stud and I'm sure is motivated to improve his own game for the next level. Woodard is really good but essentially who he was last year, just playing more. Ado has gotten a little better, but he's still an issue on offense.

I just can't remember the last time we had a guy really break out after being in the program a couple years. Even Q was really good as a freshman. He did get better, but not by leaps and bounds.
    That's been my complaint since the start of last year- nobody gets better.

And not just from a shooting, passing, defensive technique standpoint either- from a basketball IQ standpoint we dont get smarter. I've yet to see a single player since IJ Ready left be able to look at wjat the other team is doing and make an adjustment.

A Sr QB we expect to notice a blitz and adjust the protection. Why is it that none of our guards have any clue what to do on O even after years of being starters?

Perry and Woodard solve ot woth pure aggressiveness on O, but neither of them really "get it" either mentally.

It's just bad coaching pure and simple

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We have incredibly low basketball IQ. That's on Howland
    He let's our guys get away with things that no other top tier coach would allow. Bad entry pass- you are going to the bench. Long 2 off the dribble early in the clock-bench. Bad body language- bench. Bad defensive rotation- bench.

The only guy who gets benched for a bad play is Molinar. So the same mistakes continue to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    DJ?
    This is his first year playing.

vCash
    I keep seeing fans trash players (mostly on social media)... Its like some people dont realize that we are suppose to practice before games. If players continue to underperform to their potential, you have to look past them. Please remember 2018-2019 football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PKADogs55 View Post
    Is it the assistant's? Someone with more MBB knowledge please tell me. Thank GOD the Dude opens up this weekend, But ... what am I missing from this basketball team? Talent around the horn, but Good God ... where is the identity or toughness?? Get the PIRATE on em!
    Overall leadership falls on Howland. He could enlist an assistant help on O plays or out of bounds or press or anything.

Here is one thing I thought about. All our coaches can be that inept in coaching how to beat a 1-3-1 half court press. If I was an asst.coach I would have pulled Spoon aside after one of those TO and gave him some direction about drive and dish on the press. That may have been borderline insubordination but after an hour of watching us embarrass ourselves, I'd have to give something.

vCash
    I will say this much. We have an awful big man coach in Brooks. Every talented big man we’ve ever had has either not progressed or even gotten worse. Some people have claimed he’s a decent recruiter, but compared to our other coaches he’s the biggest liability we have. I have no idea how he is still employed here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    I will say this much. We have an awful big man coach in Brooks. Every talented big man we’ve ever had has either not progressed or even gotten worse. Some people have claimed he’s a decent recruiter, but compared to our other coaches he’s the biggest liability we have. I have no idea how he is still employed here.
    I personally think Reggie and Ado have both gotten a lot better down low. Usually Reggie's struggles come when he starts forcing the issue from the outside in. Ado is night and day better offensively since the day he stepped on campus. He was big time developmental guy offensively.

To me, we're awful down the stretch of a game in the 2nd half. If we're not hot offensively we can't produce points. We don't take care of the ball or take good shots despite knowing we've only got 10-15 possessions left. Other teams recognize that and are more fundamental and deliberate with their possessions. I feel like Nick is out of control at times during these spans which hurts us and the other guys force bad shots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Ado is night and day better offensively since the day he stepped on campus. He was big time developmental guy offensively.
    Uh, he's still a developmental guy offensively. You could make a case he was better on offense as a freshman.

vCash
    And he has improved consistently all season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    What a foolish take. You must have the basketball IQ of a ritz cracker. Howland owes Brooks big time for his current roster and if you can't see the improvement in Ado you are blind.

vCash
    Ado is much improved but he is still a liability on offense.