Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here we go again - Wednesday severe threat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Oktibbeha County Lake expected to meet or exceed levels it was at last month that prompted the concern. Expected to happen tonight or tomorrow.
    I just saw a segment on the Weather Channel where they're pumping water out of the lake. The Miss. Emergency manager said they'd pumped it down 8', but that it's come back up 4' with the latest rain. So they're pumping and losing ground as the rain continues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I just saw a segment on the Weather Channel where they're pumping water out of the lake. The Miss. Emergency manager said they'd pumped it down 8', but that it's come back up 4' with the latest rain. So they're pumping and losing ground as the rain continues.
    Think I've heard it's pretty much back to old level now or expected to be by tonight. Unfortunately, models have been showing an additional 4-8" of rain by middle of next week last I looked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Still remember the chase in AR when we had a tornado warned storm with baseball size hail chasing up and we hit a flooded road and had to turn around and head back into it.
    Yes, I remember it well. It was on a Sunday evening when we headed out and it was a loooong evening and night. I still have the video I took of the tornado just west of Lake Village that was literally just on the other side of the west bound four lane when we were sitting on the side of the east bound lane. It was less than 150 yards away while videoing and passed directly over head just before I started videoing. I?ll never forget that day. Fun as hell and scary as hell all at the same time haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Treemydawg View Post
    Yes, I remember it well. It was on a Sunday evening when we headed out and it was a loooong evening and night. I still have the video I took of the tornado just west of Lake Village that was literally just on the other side of the west bound four lane when we were sitting on the side of the east bound lane. It was less than 150 yards away while videoing and passed directly over head just before I started videoing. I?ll never forget that day. Fun as hell and scary as hell all at the same time haha.
    As the saying goes...If you're not scared for your life then you're not in good enough position.

vCash
    Try as I might I just can't get excited about today's system. Just looks like the instability won't be in place. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple storms over achieved but all in all this doesn't look to be a major event. My biggest concern is the additional heavy rain with the prolonged gusty winds ranging from 20-40mph today. This could lead to trees losing their anchor and being blown down. Additionally, the county lake has now exceeded the levels that prompted the concerns last month. Water is simply coming in faster than it can be pumped out. Another 2-3" are expected in this area though tonight before a brief lull before more rain moves in this weekend and early next week. Jury is still out on how much rain is expected from that system but latest models pointing at around 1-3".

vCash
    Squall line about to push through the Starkville area. Currently no warnings in effect, but some are close to reaching low end severe limits.

vCash
    The line moved through here a little after 6 but there wasn't even any thunder. We had a severe TS warning but at my house, very little wind. Plenty of rain though - I've had 1.22" so far and it's still pouring. From the looks of radar it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Monday afternoon I dumped 2.25" out of my "real" gauge, and another 3.20 this afternoon before the latest round got here. I'll be over 7" since the weekend soon, maybe even 8, depending on when the rain stops.

vCash
    The line waited until it got into Sabanland to go severe. Highest wind gust I recorded was 29mph south of West Point where I at least got a pic of shelf cloud. Highlight of the chase was getting to take my junior storm chaser with me. He's starting to get the bug, but still a little apprehensive on storms. When I relocated to west point he asked why we were moving and I said I wanted to get ahead of that storm to cut it off. With a voice of surprise and disbelief I got..."You mean you want to get in front of the storm on purpose?" Told him that's exactly what I wanted to do. That's what crazy storm chasers do.