Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gay draft analysis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    Exactly. And the news media wouldve been all over it at the first hint of something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    That didnt happen or Shrader wouldnt still be at State. Nobody on offense would play for him
    THIS. I think Joe would have been pretty much forced to kick Shrader off the team had that happened. And the media would have explained it in full detail since fans would obviously want to know why we chose to kick the QB off the team and not the guy that consistently has been suspended and kicked out of games over his career.

vCash
    And also just my opinion for those that think that Gay is making a mistake by declaring early- I think he's actually making a good decision because Leach would not put up with his BS and probably kick him off the team ruining any draft stock he had.

He's a talented player I won't deny that. But he lacks self control and odds are that's not going to get any better. We need to re-set ourselves as a team discipline wise and that's going to be a lot easier for our staff to do without Gay.

vCash
    Gay is a top player, period. Looked like most dominant LB in SEC to me this year when he played. I also agree, he should have come back and played all year. He could have been a potential 1-2 round pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And also just my opinion for those that think that Gay is making a mistake by declaring early- I think he's actually making a good decision because Leach would not put up with his BS and probably kick him off the team ruining any draft stock he had.

He's a talented player I won't deny that. But he lacks self control and odds are that's not going to get any better. We need to re-set ourselves as a team discipline wise and that's going to be a lot easier for our staff to do without Gay.
    Leach wouldn't have done anything differently with Willie than Mullen. Gay was one of the hardest working players on the team and would have respected Leach similiar to Mullen and been on his best behavior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Leach wouldn't have done anything differently with Willie than Mullen. Gay was one of the hardest working players on the team and would have respected Leach similiar to Mullen and been on his best behavior.
    Dan wouldn't have started him if he didn't behave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    I thought this was going to be a post about Mizzou...
    This made me smile. Best post in a long time!!! Have some rep!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What assumption am I making? I'm confused.

What I want is for MSU to play the very best players at every position. In 2019 Shrader was better than Stevens and sorry to open up the can of worms again- yes, he was better than KT as well. That's not only my opinion it was the opinion of the coaches as well.

This year I'm pretty sure Costello is better than Shrader, KT, Mayden, and Rogers and for that reason I want him to start unless it is proven otherwise through performance or injury.

After Costello graduates it's going to be Shrader and Rogers competing for the job assuming we don't go after another grad transfer. If Rogers is leading throwing sessions like Bucky says and outworks Shrader and wins the job he should start. Now I do think Shrader has the skill set to work in Leach's system so I wouldn't rule him out either. And if you believe what Rosebowl said about the Gay/Shrader incident and how it started and went down all I'll say about it is it's hard to be a leader when your teammate kicks your ass because it started when you tried to help him out. Hopefully as Shrader is just a freshmen he will learn to de-escalate it next time but if he doesn't do what he needs to do and Rogers beats him out it's moot anyway and good luck at Oregon.
    misunderstood your take on my post Todd. my bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I asked about Gay draft analysis and couldn?t get a straight answer

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    NFL GMs might be a little Leary of a kid that was suspended 8 games and punched his QB ( deserving or not )
    Hopefully he blows up at the combine and GMs like what they hear when they talk to him and get good feedback about him.

I suspect he is gone by day 2.
    This is correct.

vCash
    Was gay in grade troubles and that is really why he left?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    He was just ready to go. Too bad. I would feel pretty good about our team with Gay, Dantler, and another WR. Still pissed about losing the Mingo battle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I just assumed it was Willie Gay making yet another questionable decision and left it at that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the grades.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He was just ready to go. Too bad. I would feel pretty good about our team with Gay, Dantler, and another WR. Still pissed about losing the Mingo battle.
    If there are two things I am not worried about with Mike Leach at MSU it's QB play and WR play. I don't care if we have Billy Gonzalez recruiting for us I believe Leach will make them productive. If we get four star guys it will be even better because then you're talking about going off the charts in terms of production.

People can say that Gay "works hard" and is "a good person" and that may be true. But his lack of self control and poor decision making has hurt MSU too many times for me to believe it wouldn't continue. Talent wise- yes he makes us better. But if he is indeed the leader and he's setting a poor example for the entire team to me it's simply not worth it and with Leach being a lot more disciplined and in his first I have a feeling that he wouldn't put up with Gay for long. So, in a way I think Gay may have made a good decision for him because I have doubts that he would have lasted under the new administration. A leopard doesn't change their spots. Getting kicked off of our team or being benched because he can't control himself tanks his draft stock more than coming back.

Dantzler sat out games because he didn't want to hurt his draft stock at least a couple of times last year. I have questions about his buy in as well from a team standpoint. I know he has a kid and is looking out for himself and that's reasonable to a degree. I wish him well but I want people that are going to play in all the games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Mingo and Nakobe Dean would be a huge difference for us. Two recruits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Mingo and Nakobe Dean would be a huge difference for us. Two recruits
    We always come up about 2 short.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We always come up about 2 short.
    That's what's encouraging to me about Leach and Arnett. They're used to getting production out of "less". That makes it less critical that we land every single 4-5 star prospect in the state which won't happen as long as their handlers see shiny toys like Auburn out there or they just get poached by Alabama. The thing is once we start getting a lot of production and start beating people- hopefully- we'll start to become the shiny toy more often.

Really the key for us right now is to just simply maintain what we are doing in recruiting and make sure we cover every position group so we aren't starting an entire defensive line of freshmen or something ridiculous like that.

vCash
    Is this where they analyze their suit choices on draft night?

vCash
    If Gay can just mature a little bit the dude will be a stud in the NFL.

He is probably one of the most talented LB I can remember us having just as far as raw athleticism goes. He is also just about always in the right spot. His instincts are stupid good.