Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy Or Sell: KJ Costello Will Be 1st Team All-SEC QB?

vCash

Buy Or Sell: KJ Costello Will Be 1st Team All-SEC QB?

I buy....

I think he's clearly the best QB in the league this year.

I put the QBs in tiers this year & I think Costello is clearly #1.

Here's a question: If you let every other SEC team have Costello for 1 season, would he start for them? Politics aside, I think so. I think all 14 SEC teams would start him this year if given the opportunity

Discuss...

Tier 1:
    Costello - Most experienced, smartest, & most talented. Barring injury will almost assuredly lead the SEC in passing

Tier 2:
    Mack Jones - Had some good moments & bad ones.
    Bo Nix - Has accuracy issues
    Kellen Mond - One read QB. Lots of experience though
    Jamie Newman - I don't have a clue. Was solid at Wake though
    Kyle Trask - Sneaky good.
    Ryan Kilinski - Very talented, but offensive coaching sucks

Tier 3:

Jarrett Guarantano - Filler player. Empty suit. Just wears an orange jersey & plays QB
    Felipe Franks - See Guarantano
    Plumlee/Corral - talented in areas but severely flawed in others
    Terry Wilson - talented but very flawed

Tier 4:
    Myles Brennan - Is LSU really going to start this guy? Like really?
    Vandy QB - Who cares
    Mizzou QB - Who cares
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 02-06-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Newman is good, and he's gonna have some killer weapons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Newman is good, and he's gonna have some killer weapons.
    He may be the sneaky alternative option

vCash
    I personally think Costello could be the best QB in the SEC but the media won't vote him there pre-season. They'll put Newman, Mond, Trask, and even Nix ahead of him. Could see Mac Jones getting the Bama Bump ahead of him too. I don't agree with it, that's just what you can probably expect with the SEC homer media. I'd say the best QB in the SEC battle is between Costello-Newman-Trask just personally. And I'm saying this "pre-season" wise. After the season, I think he will end up 1st or 2nd team All-SEC with the #'s he will put up.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Need to slow this roll. Hoping for great things but installing a new offense with a QB who gets here in summer.... Love to see him sling it all over the yard to open receivers, but there might be that adjustment period

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    I personally think Costello could be the best QB in the SEC but the media won't vote him there pre-season. They'll put Newman, Mond, Trask, and even Nix ahead of him. Could see Mac Jones getting the Bama Bump ahead of him too. I don't agree with it, that's just what you can probably expect with the SEC homer media. I'd say the best QB in the SEC battle is between Costello-Newman-Trask just personally. And I'm saying this "pre-season" wise. After the season, I think he will end up 1st or 2nd team All-SEC with the #'s he will put up.
    You are probably right, but I think the Leach offense gives Costello credibility.

Any media member with a brain will likely believe that Costello will lead the SEC in passing. That alone with Costello's talent should get him preseason votes

vCash
    Jones will put up really good numbers because he's a good QB and has elite talent all around him. Trask should have a good year. Newman will be good, but it's hard to know if that offense will put up better numbers than they have recently. Nix could break out at any moment. And Mond is really good.

But I do agree that in terms of pure experience/talent and the kind of numbers you feel confident about them putting up, it's probably Costello at the top right now. He will probably get docked some for being in a Leach system and because we'll lose some games, but he is set up to do really, really well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dognabbit View Post
    Need to slow this roll. Hoping for great things but installing a new offense with a QB who gets here in summer.... Love to see him sling it all over the yard to open receivers, but there might be that adjustment period
    I'm not sure I agree.

I've listened to a bunch of interviews on Costello & apparently he's the most intelligent QB & best leader many of the Pac 12 people have seen in a while.

I think it's going to become clear pretty quickly that this guy is the real deal. Throw that in with Leach's history of getting less talented QBs up & running quickly in this offense & I have a feeling it won't take very long. Although I am glad the schedule starts off weaker.

I think Costello is a different animal from what I'm hearing

vCash
    Too early to know, let's see how the OL and receivers progress first. Offenses usually take a little more time, especially a first year QB in a system he hasn't played in yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Jones will put up really good numbers because he's a good QB and has elite talent all around him. Trask should have a good year. Newman will be good, but it's hard to know if that offense will put up better numbers than they have recently. Nix could break out at any moment. And Mond is really good.

But I do agree that in terms of pure experience/talent and the kind of numbers you feel confident about them putting up, it's probably Costello at the top right now. He will probably get docked some for being in a Leach system and because we'll lose some games, but he is set up to do really, really well.
    I don't see it with Nix.

They lost their entire OL & Whitlow is in the transfer portal. I think Auburn could be in for a struggle this season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Too early to know, let's see how the OL and receivers progress first. Offenses usually take a little more time, especially a first year QB in a system he hasn't played in yet.
    Well.... of course it's too early to know.

That's why we put forth predictions. We prognosticate

We'd have nothing to discuss if we just always said, "it's too early to know"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    You are probably right, but I think the Leach offense gives Costello credibility.

Any media member with a brain will likely believe that Costello will lead the SEC in passing. That alone with Costello's talent should get him preseason votes
    Oh I'm with you Gun. With Leach's credibility and name recognition with his offense and Costello's hype as a legit top 4-5 QB draft prospect going into the 2019 season should be enough for media to know he's likely going to lead the SEC in passing.

Only problem is the part of your post I underlined and put in bold lol. You're assuming media members that vote on this stuff use their brains and not bias. It's just my own opinion that Costello will have to head "head and shoulders" a better year stats wise than anyone else to get 1st team because the media will be waiting to hand it to Newman at UGA or Jones at Bama or Nix at AU or Trask at UF. And we will probably have to win 9 games including bowl game as a team for him to get it as well. It's an individual award but we all know the media wants to give it to Bama/UGA/LSU/AU players if at all possible because they will win 10+ games.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Oh I'm with you Gun. With Leach's credibility and name recognition with his offense and Costello's hype as a legit top 4-5 QB draft prospect going into the 2019 season should be enough for media to know he's likely going to lead the SEC in passing.

Only problem is the part of your post I underlined and put in bold lol. You're assuming media members that vote on this stuff use their brains and not bias. It's just my own opinion that Costello will have to head "head and shoulders" a better year stats wise than anyone else to get 1st team because the media will be waiting to hand it to Newman at UGA or Jones at Bama or Nix at AU or Trask at UF. And we will probably have to win 9 games including bowl game as a team for him to get it as well. It's an individual award but we all know the media wants to give it to Bama/UGA/LSU/AU players if at all possible because they will win 10+ games.
    You may be right, but I will say that many of the 1st team SEC honors don't have as much to do with record as awards like the Heisman

vCash
    Sell. They'll pick someone else and make up some reason like he's never faced a SEC team as their reason.

vCash
    Sell. The optimism here is getting out of control. I get there's reason to be excited but I'd pull it back a bit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Sell. They'll pick someone else and make up some reason like he's never faced a SEC team as their reason.
    I guess I'm talking about postseason. Not preseason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Sell. The optimism here is getting out of control. I get there's reason to be excited but I'd pull it back a bit
    Why? What's wrong with optimism?

vCash
    Well.... of course it's too early to know.

That's why we put forth predictions. We prognosticate

We'd have nothing to discuss if we just always said, "it's too early to know"
    What is wrong with you? I said nothing wrong and posted my opinion, nothing more or less, why reply to "we", you should have said you to discuss. LOL

vCash
    Sell. As of now there's at least 3-4 QBs ahead of him just based on their league experience. Mond and Trask are the two big names returning, but you also have Bo Nix in his second season as well as Felipe Franks at Arkansas and Tyler Hilinski at USCe. Not saying that Costello couldn't be better than any of those guys, but it's unknown at this point. All those guys have started games in this conference and know what it's like.

vCash
    I don't see it with Nix.

They lost their entire OL & Whitlow is in the transfer portal. I think Auburn could be in for a struggle this season
    Just saying, he was rated similar to Costello coming out of HS and is a good fit in that offense. So he could bust out at some point.