Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it is time to give the "IB" his due.

vCash

Do you think it is time to give the "IB" his due.

1. The coach Leach hire seems to get everybody's approval. Even those of you that always argue with each other seem to be in agreement.
    2. The name recognition alone will bring in certain recruits that would of never considered coming to State.
    3. The depression of JoMo being here has been replaced with an excitement not seen since the Kang was announced as the dawgs next coach.

vCash
    I think the recognition is coming for Cohen but Leach has to deliver first. I am confident that he will.

Short term- big time kudos.

I think over time Leach will have a similar tenure as Sherrill but with fewer head scratching losses and upsets simply because of the fact that our program has risen naturally with the rise of the BCS from being in the SEC so we are now squarely above programs like USM, La Tech, and etc. which wasn't the case when Sherrill was here. We also have a lot more positive history on our side in football from Jackie and Dan mostly and going to ten straight bowls will start to pay dividends in the coming years. I would imagine that most high school kids now don't remember the last time we didn't go to a bowl. That's who we're starting to recruit now.

We also are running schemes that I think most players are going to have fun playing in on both sides of the ball. Wide open passing on offense and then a blitzing all out defense. Fun for me to watch too!

vCash
    I’ve never understood the dislike for Cohen. He’s going a great job and is an intense competitor. He’ll end up being the best AD we’ve ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I’ve never understood the dislike for Cohen. He’s going a great job and is an intense competitor. He’ll end up being the best AD we’ve ever had.
    He's definitely had some learning moments as AD. No question about it. But comparing Moorhead and Leach it looks like he has learned.

vCash
    We were just this excited when JMo came in. You're a year too early for this thread I think

vCash
    I'll give him his due for finally canning Moorhead and making a great baseball hire. Anything else is premature at the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    We were just this excited when JMo came in. You're a year too early for this thread I think
    Not all of us.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    The level of excitement is greater this time. But it is too early to know how all this will turn out.

vCash
    The Moorhead HIRE was a good hire. Anyone that tries to act like it should be a bad mark on Cohen is an idiot. It didn't work out, but the initial hire was a good one.

All the cohen hate is rooted in people being emotional instead of being smart. Cohen has done a good job.

vCash
    Here's what is also exciting.

With today's recruiting results, Leach will have more talent on his roster than Ole Miss for a least 2-3 more years.

He's probably going to beat the hell out of Kiffin.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    A lot of unfair criticism for Cohen the last few months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think the recognition is coming for Cohen but Leach has to deliver first. I am confident that he will.

Short term- big time kudos.

I think over time Leach will have a similar tenure as Sherrill but with fewer head scratching losses and upsets simply because of the fact that our program has risen naturally with the rise of the BCS from being in the SEC so we are now squarely above programs like USM, La Tech, and etc. which wasn't the case when Sherrill was here. We also have a lot more positive history on our side in football from Jackie and Dan mostly and going to ten straight bowls will start to pay dividends in the coming years. I would imagine that most high school kids now don't remember the last time we didn't go to a bowl. That's who we're starting to recruit now.

We also are running schemes that I think most players are going to have fun playing in on both sides of the ball. Wide open passing on offense and then a blitzing all out defense. Fun for me to watch too!
    I see kinda where you're coming from but this isn't on a par with JoMo hire. If Leach doesn't work out, this was still an A hire based on coaching resume. Not saying the process was that great tho ... but it worked out very good and Cohen certainly hired probably one of the 2 best more with less coaches in the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    The Moorhead HIRE was a good hire. Anyone that tries to act like it should be a bad mark on Cohen is an idiot. It didn't work out, but the initial hire was a good one.

All the cohen hate is rooted in people being emotional instead of being smart. Cohen has done a good job.
    This^

And Cohen deserves credit for stopping the bleeding when it was obvious Joe wasn't the guy. I know the timeline wasn't perfect in how it all shook out, but we're looking good now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I see kinda where you're coming from but this isn't on a par with JoMo hire. If Leach doesn't work out, this was still an A hire based on coaching resume. Not saying the process was that great tho ... but it worked out very good and Cohen certainly hired probably one of the 2 best more with less coaches in the country.
    Are you including TCU coach Gary Patterson in this? He routinely turns two star recruits into four star players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    This^

And Cohen deserves credit for stopping the bleeding when it was obvious Joe wasn't the guy. I know the timeline wasn't perfect in how it all shook out, but we're looking good now.

Yep. Hard to believe how far we’ve come in the last month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I'll give him his due for finally canning Moorhead and making a great baseball hire. Anything else is premature at the moment.
    True but Leach hire is really different than Joe. One other thing. Cohen is true Bulldog. Just watching him at UT basketball game other day, he was cheering and clapping for our team just like a regular fan. He wants MSU to win.

vCash
    Disagree. I wasn't anti-joevester and thought there was good potential there so I was being positive, but thats not the same as the excitement I have with leach because with leach there's an extensive track record of winning as a HC at P5 programs similar (or lesser) in stature to state and equally (or more) remote geographically than starkville.
    Last edited by dawgs; 02-05-2020 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    Are you including TCU coach Gary Patterson in this? He routinely turns two star recruits into four star players.
    No. He finds 4 star players that are rated with 2 stars. And gets them to play like 4 stars.

vCash
    A lot of the Cohen hate still stems from him being brought here to coach baseball and the ensuing drama. I have two close friends that are fairly connected into the athletic booster side of things and they hate all things Cohen...he can do nothing right...and he should be fired. They’re hearing this from people more “important” than themselves so they’re spouting it and have been for 10 years. What’s funny is how one of them has gone from comments disparaging Cohen all football season to silence since the leach hire.

Also to add, the jomo hire sits squarely on Cohen and it was not a good hire. I’ve posted this numerous times and 100% believe he should have seen thru the cliche, coach speak, catch phrase, alliterating facade that was Jomo. But he corrected it and has seemingly done so in a huge way. We shall see where his tenure goes from here.

vCash
    Cohen has to prove he can competently run a MSU Football gameday....